Army is working on a new bullet

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The 5.56mm has been short on enough mass to defeat advanced body armor. The larger current option, the 7.62mm bullets, are short on propellant with too much mass.

The 6.8 round is the solution. When this new round strikes a target, it will do so with more energy than the 5.56. This translates into better threat stopping power for soldiers.

Longer supersonic velocity than the currently used bullets combined with less recoil and more stable shooting should deliver even greater accuracy.

This will be quite a radical change up for the Army, which has relied on the 5.56mm round for several decades, but one that could play a vital role in ensuring soldiers are armed to match future threats.

STOPPING POWER

Since these new bullets would be larger and harder hitting, they would be a better match for the threats soldiers will likely face in future conflicts.

The 6.8mm rounds are expected to be capable of penetrating currently available modern body armor as well as defeat future advances in body armor too.

If U.S. soldiers have to face forces from countries with well-equipped armies, then current bullets are not good enough. American ingenuity can do better and American soldiers deserve the best that can be provided.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/new-army-bullets-bigger-bolder-and-harder-hitting

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
What's curious is the article is indicating it won't be the 6.8 SPC. Curious as to what it actually will be. Will wait for it to happen in actuality not just be hype. Would chuckle if it was the 6.8 SPC. Everyone thought that shit was awesome what a decade or so ago?

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
stupid just go to a common 7.62 like the rest of the worlds large militaries.
The military isn't that practical or smart. A good slide show with some bold claims is all they need to dump a perfectly good round.

Also, why is the army adding MORE weight to a soldiers back...wasn't the 5.56 used because you could carry way more ammo and fire it out of a lighter weapon?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The military isn't that practical or smart. A good slide show with some bold claims is all they need to dump a perfectly good round.

Also, why is the army adding MORE weight to a soldiers back...wasn't the 5.56 used because you could carry way more ammo and fire it out of a lighter weapon?
Those badass Boston Dynamics robots going to carry their gear?

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Why not just go back to the .308.
I mean, .308 more or less is the same as the 7.62 NATO...the .308 has an ever so slight advantage, but I don’t think enough for what the military is looking for.

They want significantly higher velocity, and commented how the 7.62 doesn’t give the military the velocity they require, it has the mass, but without the velocity, would lead me to believe the ever so slightly more powerful 308 would not cut it.

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
I mean, .308 more or less is the same as the 7.62 NATO...the .308 has an ever so slight advantage, but I don’t think enough for what the military is looking for.

They want significantly higher velocity, and commented how the 7.62 doesn’t give the military the velocity they require, it has the mass, but without the velocity, would lead me to believe the ever so slightly more powerful 308 would not cut it.
The 7.62x51 is practically the same as a .308, but the Military version is neutered.

The 7.62x51 has a case PSI of 60,000; where the .308 has 62,000 psi. This comes from case sizing.

Hell my .300WM is still a .308 with a larger case that allows 64,000 psi

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Why not just go back to the .308.
To elaborate on the .308 vs 5.56 comments below, you can carry about 30 rounds of 5.56 for every 20 rounds of 308. That said, with different bullet weights there's been stretching of the capabilities of both cartridges.

My opinion is make a "long medium" action, give about 1/4 inch case length+a tiny bit of width then use a bullet anywhere from 5.56mm to 6.8mm. I would actually and oddly lend the edge to 5.56, but the reason that I say that is you could be looking at 95gr bullets for longer work that would only fit in a bolt gun right now. Kind of like how 6.5 creed is made to fit a long for caliber bullet into a .308 action. The goal would be more BC that would let the bullet carry father before going subsonic thereby increasing its accurate (and lethal) range and hotter 55gr (as in say 3450-3500 fps with a standard length barrel (say 18" or even perhaps 20" if coupled with a new bullpup platform.)

I could also see some more specialization in guns too, e.g. we have a CQB style gun like a bullpup and then a more conventional rifle for mountain work/DMR stuff (e.g. longer range.)

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Weaponry :jackingoff:

98GrandPrixIraqVet

Reaction score

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Id bet the M4 is not going anywhere anytime soon.
Oh no, this will be the next gen as they start giving the M4's to the reserve's, who still have M16's (or so I'm told), and the Army will slowly adopt whatever new rifle's win the bid. The M4 will still be around for decades :rofl:

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
My cousin is AGR and he said he's still qualifying on M16's :rofl:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom