• Yes

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 37 71.2%

• Total voters

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Was watching the newest Savage Geese video about the Jeep 4Xe and they mentioned Jeep Brand Loyalist and it got me thinking about this.

I know of a few diehard brand loyalist, my brother in law for example. He was 16 or 17 when I met the wife and he drove a POS F150 truck. He later got a V6 Mustang and has literally flip flopped between F150 and Mustangs since 2001. He's 100% percent a Ford loyalist. His wife for a short time had a 4 door Wrangler, but she had a Ford Escape when they met and she's back in an Escape now. He wouldn't ever entertain the thought of buying any brand but Ford.

A few years ago, my mom who has owned CRV's for the last decade or so needed a new car and she reached out to me to help her car shop. I got the particulars of what she was looking at, sent her a bunch of links to cars she should check out, she basically ignored those and bought another CRV.

Me on the other hand, since I've met my brother in law, I've always gone with the best available car for me, in the budget that I had, which gives me the best driving experience that I was looking after.

Here's my chronological list of cars I've had since I've known him:

Subaru WRX
Acura Integra GSR
Toyota MR2 Turbo
Honda Accord LX
Acura Integra GS
Mazda Protege MP3
Mazdaspeed3
Infiniti G35
VW Jetta GLI
VW GTI

Sure, there are 2 "same brand in a row" cars and further back in my car ownership history I have owned alot of Toyota's (Mostly 4x MR2's, but I did have a Camry for a few years as well). But when it comes to cars, as an "enthusiast", I tend to have a decent idea of what I want just from consuming all the car reviews and seeing posts on forums/IG/reddit, I'm pretty well informed on cars and know what I want usually before walking into the dealer to buy a car.

Now, on other things, I am a brand loyalist (Heintz ketchup or GTFO with that Hunt's bullshit. Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce. I'm also an Apple guy and I never look at Androids, but I'm also deep in Apple's ecosystem, so leaving it would be painful.)

Thoughts/discussion?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I am literally the opposite of a brand loyalist in every single category people pound their chests as die hard "xyz guy". Vehicles, powersports and AG equipment.

GMC Yukon, Ram 3500, Ford F-350

Honda Foreman 500, Polaris Sportsman 500/Magnum 330

Case 310, IH Farmall H, John Deere 4020.

Reactions: blue-sun

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Most def not a loyalist. There are brands/categories that I won't buy though, and it would kind of take a lot to change my mind on these. Example:

I'd never buy a GM econobox, jap only here
I'd never buy a fullsize japanese pickup, they just don't do a good job on trucks
I'd never spend $60k+ on a lexus or acura, the germans do it better in that price range
Nissan makes junk, WOOD NOT buy a nissan or infiniti unless it was dirtttt cheap

that covers most of it

Reactions: cdh027 and blue-sun

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Most def not a loyalist. There are brands/categories that I won't buy though, and it would kind of take a lot to change my mind on these. Example:

I'd never buy a GM econobox, jap only here
I'd never buy a fullsize japanese pickup, they just don't do a good job on trucks
I'd never spend $60k+ on a lexus or acura, the germans do it better in that price range
Nissan makes junk, WOOD NOT buy a nissan or infiniti unless it was dirtttt cheap

that covers most of it

I tried to love the Focus ST, I test drove 2-3 of them over the years and I just hated how the shifter felt. I have friends who have/had one and loved them. I never drove a Focus RS, but on paper it sounds like a perfect car for me!

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I’ve owned a bunch of Pontiacs (GTP, GTO, TA all at the same time) but not because of brand loyalty - poor depreciation and easy mod-ability made them good buys. Not even sad Pontiac is gone. Right now, though, we have a Subaru, Volkswagen and Pontiac, so fairly diverse. When it comes to daily drivers, I’m up for whatever is the most logical for what we need, but for a play/fun car it’s hard to look past LS stuff and I’d probably be looking again at LS when the TA goes because of familiarity and bang for the buck.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I've pretty much only bought Fords, but they've all been Mustangs. I've owned a few non-Mustangs for short periods of time.

The wife has a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I like it. I pretty much daily it when I'm home.

Non-Fords I've Owned:

Cavalier
Fiero
Talon

All of those were pretty shitty cars, but they were old and not supposed to be nice.

I rent cars pretty much every week. So I've driven pretty much all of the mid-size cars and small SUVs on the market. I don't see myself buying anything from that category. Ever.

So while I'm open to other brands, I just prefer Fords. So I voted Yes.

Reactions: blue-sun

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I love GM shit because it will run like crap longer than anything else on the road. (I think I stole most of that quote form someone... Maybe Stink Star Stink Star ?)

I have dabbled in a lot of stuff though. VW, Infiniti, Jeep, Mitsubishi, Scion but I keep coming back to GM products as they serve me well.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I love GM shit because it will run like crap longer than anything else on the road. (I think I stole most of that quote form someone... Maybe Stink Star Stink Star ?)

I have dabbled in a lot of stuff though. VW, Infiniti, Jeep, Mitsubishi, Scion but I keep coming back to GM products as they serve me well.

bro, 90's era Honda's will run forever too.

Reactions: The Beast

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Yes but also no.

For performance cars I have always gone GM. Today's GM line up sucks outside of the Vette and Tahoe/Suburban/Rado. The Caddy's are cool but I have never been a performance sedan guy.

Powersports I'm Honda all the way but again I think the current line up sucks outside of the SxS'.

Daily's I have been all over the place unless they're foreign. I only drive 'Merica. I've had Ford's, GM's and Chrysler's.

Reactions: sktchy

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Maybe if brands stayed consistent, I would be.

But everyone just sells out and turns to shit. Or they get to the point where its profits over all and a brand goes to shit.

I have a handful of companies I will consistently buy but if their product changes in a way I don't like, I'll drop it like its hottt

Reactions: v6buicks

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I hate to say it but Tesla is the highest rated. Mustang, Corvette and Jeep round out the domestic brands before you get into Hondas built in the US.
Well I haven't bought a car in a long while. I'd love a vette.

And honestly the USA thing wouldn't be as big of a factor for a car, cause its all made from everywhere.

Thread Info