Are the really worth it?

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Reaction score
Are any of you running a cam or ported heads with your application?

I have a vortech V-1 S-trim and i am going to be building the bottom end. Are a cam and ported heads REALLY worth it?

OP
VenomInside

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Reaction score
Box 1 said:
:dunno: didnt your cobra get "messed up" from doing 4v cams?
Yes, but i was kinda wondering more about the heads than the cams.

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
Reaction score
I wouldnt spend the couple extra grand, not worth it to me unless you going to be all motor. You have forced induction on you car and you can up the boost a little and that will give you the extra few horses you would have had with the ported heads.

VENOMOUS98

Reaction score
Mike,

I am running both cams and ported heads on my '98 4v motor that is set-up N/A. You will get good gains from both and are not a problem to set-up on the new motor. I am running FR500 Cams that are a good N/A cam, but with your supercharger comp or crower makes a good cam for your motor. One of the Mustang magazines tested a '97 Cobra with a built motor and a vortech blower and by adding cams to it gained 30-35rwhp alone. Add in ported heads and that goes up another 20-25rwhp for that alone. On your car you will gain alot more than I did, because of the blower. It is a good thing to do, except for the cost of it.

Thanks,

Chris

B

Boost12

If you go with the right head/cam combo there are alot of gains that would make them worth it.

Shane97Cobra

Reaction score
Boost12 said:
If you go with the right head/cam combo there are alot of gains that would make them worth it.
I agree. Someone mentioned 03/04 cams...those are NOT the ones to use.

If your goal is 550-600 RWHP you don't need the cams to do that. The B heads (96-98) don't need much port work for blowers. The exhaust side needs it more than the intake side.

VENOMOUS98

Reaction score
Shane97Cobra said:
If your goal is 550-600 RWHP you don't need the cams to do that. The B heads (96-98) don't need much port work for blowers. The exhaust side needs it more than the intake side.
I agree with Shane97Cobra, that you can get away not having cams on the car. The heads flow great on the intake side, just a clean up port job would take care of that. But on the exhaust side the ports on '96-'98 heads are oval and not rectanglar like the '03 Cobra heads. That is why you need to have that side fully ported and shaped for the exhaust side to flow better and get the gases out quicker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom