Are all smart TVs glitchy?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Surprised to hear your TCL woes Bru Bru - we have 4 total that all get good use and we haven't had any major issues.

I wish this would’ve happened last week because there was an LG OLED on sale for like 40% off, but I got shot down when I tried to buy it. I think I would have more luck now because this is the primary TV in the house.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
BB installed a new main board and the TV works, but I’m now getting these large dark blobs when local contrast is on. Never happened before. (y)

6780451B-5D51-4067-BDAA-2BEF3D5AFE20.jpeg

EB2C4211-32B2-4420-B66D-74B73C89EB76.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Shawn1112

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
So wild, we’ve got two TCL TV’s that get a good amount of use for short periods at a time and no issues.

With that said our vizio is like 6 years old and still doing great too. It’s our main tv, I’d like a bigger one but not necessary so will wait for something to die.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
I have a 12 year old vizio that still goes like a champ. The smart apps are all non functional now because of the age of the tv (support ended), so I just put a firestick in the side and its been great. I would replace it but its impossible to find a 240hz tv anymore. (the refresh rate is nuts, if , for example, you watch hockey the puck never disappears)
The cheap vizios are well.. cheap and dont last. The mid tier and up seem to do pretty well.
here is the model in case you find one used:

I see someone said that their vizio would randomly turn off, mine used to do that once in a while and I am pretty sure it was a software update happening, but you can guess its been a long time since it has occurred.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Geek Squad is replacing my TV - they couldn’t figure out the blob image issue and TCL doesn’t sell them replacement panels. So they’re giving me the value of my contract and I’m buying a non-TCL replacement. So need to figure out what that is. Leaning toward an entry level LG OLED.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Back to the original topic of TVs having glitchy software… I had an el cheapo Vizio/Roku 42” that was only a year old that I got after my dad passed. My 2006 model 42” that was in the guest room at our house started making a loud click noise and the audio would get unsynced with the picture so I figured I’d swap the two. The new tv is like 50lbs lighter than the old one and the interface is super fast and works great- except Netflix just wouldn’t load. No matter what I did it would just bounce right out of the app after the N logo appeared. I finally found a deeply buried menu (not in an obvious place like something labeled “software” or “update”) and was able to update the TV firmware and it’s been perfect after that. Worth a shot if anybody else is having weird glitchy problems

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Geek Squad is replacing my TV - they couldn’t figure out the blob image issue and TCL doesn’t sell them replacement panels. So they’re giving me the value of my contract and I’m buying a non-TCL replacement. So need to figure out what that is. Leaning toward an entry level LG OLED.

Woot has this…

IMG_6218.jpg

Comes to $1700 shipped.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info