Are all smart TVs glitchy?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I’m on my third TCL Roku TV, not by choice, and am curious if all smart TVs are glitchy or if it’s
TCL Roku TV’s - I’ve had two P605’s (one returned with dead pixels, the other experiencing intermittent failure from a wounded board) and my current P615. I went from a dead nuts reliable 10-year-old Samsung plasma to TCL about 4 years ago so have no experience otherwise with other smart TV’s.

Basically, the TV randomly power cycles mid-show, the remote is often delayed with inputs, and apps crash to the Home Screen. We exclusively use it for streaming, and it’s on WiFi vs wired. I’m always on the latest OS, hoping each time the TV will stop acting up.

I’m just curious if other smart TV brands, or other manufacturers of Roku TVs, have these kinds of issues. I think I can use my wife’s frustration to get a new TV but don’t want to get deal with the same issues.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Had two Samsung TV's that both died within 2.5 years. I have family members that had the same thing happen to their Samsung's as well. Samsung TV's may have great features, but they're built like shit and don't last.

I have an old Vizio TV that has been flawless, but it didn't start out that way. It had an issue early on where it would freeze up and reset itself seemingly randomly.
It took a couple years, but a software update finally fixed it and it hasn't happened since. Most Vizio TV's are made in Taiwan and not China.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
if you can run a wire, try that instead of wifi? I've been very happy with my Sony Bravia's, 2 of them run android, no issues really (2009, 2016, and 2020 models). They are all wired though (cat6 throughout my house). I've only had to replace the main board on the 2009, was $40 on ebay.

Reactions: Bru

69Nice

Rainman
Sep 4, 2020
CO
Have a 75” LG that’s 3 years old and starting to have issues with WIFI. I looked it up and I’ll need to take the back off and un-pinch a ribbon wire (common issue I guess). Other than that it’s been trouble free.

60” Vizio that’s 6 years old and haven’t had any issues.

37” I think (not smart) that’s 11 years old and that bitch refuses to die. I’ve been waiting to replace it for 4 years now.

What store did you get it from? I’ve heard boards differ from store to store but haven’t looked into it too much.

Reactions: Bru

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Speaking of TVs.... I mean how bad could this be?

86FDECEC-74BB-4453-9EC3-A1A47730FC96.jpeg

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I'm ready to throw my LG out the window. At first it was fine but after you install a few apps (Netflix, hulu, amazon prime) its slow as fuck. Try to fast forward and sometimes it turns itself off then back on. Never buying a budget/entry level again. This one is a 65" LED from Costco or Sams club for $800 about 4 years ago. Had a power surge and one of the boards fried, lucky I had a warranty and it got replaced. Not sure if they used an OEM board or not.
Always judge a tv by the remote. If its a shit remote it's a shit tv. Thats how I'm judging now.

Got a 75" Vizio 3 years ago. Every once in awhile it won't turn on and I have to unplug it then plug it back in. Haven't had that issue in a long time. Remote sucks balls. Interface is a hair slow but otherwise that thing is good. That was $1700 or so. Works way better than the LG

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
I'm ready to throw my LG out the window. At first it was fine but after you install a few apps (Netflix, hulu, amazon prime) its slow as fuck. Try to fast forward and sometimes it turns itself off then back on. Never buying a budget/entry level again. This one is a 65" LED from Costco or Sams club for $800 about 4 years ago. Had a power surge and one of the boards fried, lucky I had a warranty and it got replaced. Not sure if they used an OEM board or not.
Always judge a tv by the remote. If its a shit remote it's a shit tv. Thats how I'm judging now.

Got a 75" Vizio 3 years ago. Every once in awhile it won't turn on and I have to unplug it then plug it back in. Haven't had that issue in a long time. Remote sucks balls. Interface is a hair slow but otherwise that thing is good. That was $1700 or so. Works way better than the LG

My LG buffers when streaming which is really annoying. I ended up getting a firestick and using that for streaming and it's much better than the built in shit

Reactions: Aircal

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
My 2014 vizio smart TV would just randomly shut off. Didn't matter if I was watching for 10 min or left it on a fall asleep. Couldn't find any pattern with it so not sure why it did that once in a while. It was like someone was pressing the power button. I don't watch too much TV so I want to say it only did it while watching Netflix or Amazon. I have a older vizio 37 non smart that I have no issues with. Use it with a Amazon Firestick.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Since being wired as an attempt to diagnose this, there’s really only been one instance of the TV glitching in three weeks, which seems more livable than the 2-3 times per week while wireless. Usage and OS have been unchanged.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I have a pretty old samsung smart TV, and the "smarthub" was the slowest, most god-awful piece of software I've ever dealt with. It had an update schedule worse than an xbox, took 4+ seconds to respond to remote inputs, crashed to the home screen all the time etc etc.

Firestick ftw. Now the only problem I have is that if you leave the TV on a while, then turn it off, you can't turn it right back on :ROFLMAO: Only need it to last 10 more months

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Interesting. I have 2 Vizio tv’s. One is like 10 years old and has never had a problem. The newer one is like 2 years old and it sucks balls. The screen will start to have artifact and ghosting around static objects on the screen. Then it will freeze and takes a couple minutes to restart. It only does it once when we turn it on and after that it is usually fine. I never use the built in apps on the tv though because they are garbage. Amazon cube or stick is on all th TV’s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info