🏡 Better Homes Aquatic crew assemble: All things pool...

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Got pics of what's actually going on in the water?
These are from last year but it’s the same

58C1801B-A394-48F1-9EF4-BCA15AB9C066.png

84B0763D-F36C-45FA-A0DE-49E2650D1919.png

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I dunno about that first pic, but that second pic looks to be just detritus collecting in a low circulation spot. You sure it's mustard algae and not just shit collecting in the pool?

And fuck all that liquid chlorine, grab a bunch of super shocks WITH chlorine. For your floater, fill that bitch up the more surface area the more chlorine will get into the pool.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
I dunno about that first pic, but that second pic looks to be just detritus collecting in a low circulation spot. You sure it's mustard algae and not just shit collecting in the pool?

And fuck all that liquid chlorine, grab a bunch of super shocks WITH chlorine. For your floater, fill that bitch up the more surface area the more chlorine will get into the pool.

I am pretty sure its mustard algea because.....

A. It is eating my chlorine like there is no tomorrow, I have put 10 bags of granular shock in the pool two days ago, and yesterday morning my FC was non existent, then I put 10 gallons of chlorine in it last night and yet my FC is low again this morning... If it was just debri my FC would be pretty high.

And the main reason I am sure its mustard algea is because when I do shock it, the next morning the reproductive rate is significantly less, (i.e. over night there isn't as much there) but during the day when there is no more FC it reproduces like a mother....

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
I am pretty sure its mustard algea because.....

A. It is eating my chlorine like there is no tomorrow, I have put 10 bags of granular shock in the pool two days ago, and yesterday morning my FC was non existent, then I put 10 gallons of chlorine in it last night and yet my FC is low again this morning... If it was just debri my FC would be pretty high.

And the main reason I am sure its mustard algea is because when I do shock it, the next morning the reproductive rate is significantly less, (i.e. over night there isn't as much there) but during the day when there is no more FC it reproduces like a mother....
Also my CY is good, my ph is a little low (explained by the granular shock), everything else is solid.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
So I’m an idiot…the entire time I was fighting mustard algae… I was actually fighting a broken de filter..

I noticed that if I didn’t run my pump the “growth” would be slower/nonexistent. I noticed if I turned up the pump it would get worse… at that point I realized my filter was leaking de into the pool…

Took the filter apart and confirmed a torn gasket…

Dumbfucking ass, 200 dollars in shock later

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So I’m an idiot…the entire time I was fighting mustard algae… I was actually fighting a broken de filter..

I noticed that if I didn’t run my pump the “growth” would be slower/nonexistent. I noticed if I turned up the pump it would get worse… at that point I realized my filter was leaking de into the pool…

I have some extra fingers if you have any that need to be replaced. I gutted my old DE filter of good parts when I replaced it. No gasket though

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida

That still doesnt explain why you are dumping a mass quantity of chlorine in and it's showing low or none at all 24 hours later. Something else is going on as well.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
That still doesnt explain why you are dumping a mass quantity of chlorine in and it's showing low or none at all 24 hours later. Something else is going on as well.
That issue is resolved, I am holding high chlorine for last day…

I think the chlorine was getting eaten up by all the algae die and de in the pool

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I use a Taylor testing kit. $65ish on Amazon. It's the kit the pool companies use. More accurate than the strips. Also the kit can tell you how much chemical to add based on charts in the back of the instruction book.

Most important are chlorine, pH and alkalinity. Get those 3 right and it's easier to fix the rest.

I'm getting pretty close with my chems. Chlorine is coming up. CYA is good. pH is coming down. Have to wait a few more weeks to get the salt system going.

20230528_194559.jpg

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Well after spending pain staking hours last night going through my DE fingers I realized they are all worn out and I can too easily see through them... and all the DE is still in my pool! So I just spent another 1k on this thing and bought a new filter!.... God damn pools!

I could have bought replacement parts and rebuilt it, but for an extra 200 hundred I get everything I need brand new...

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Any of you guys on a well and fill your pool with well water? If so any special things you guys do?
My nephew is getting his pool installed June 13th, he wants me to help him get it started and train him how to maintain it.
I just realized Lake Zurich has well water, and I'm not sure if anything different has to be done

Thread Info