🏡 Better Homes Aquatic crew assemble: All things pool...

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
roof it is

Amazon Prime Comics GIF by The Boys

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
have any of yous guys changed out your filter sand before?
Changed a nasty one with my FIL. 10 years old and the pool was nasty black at one point. We partially disassembled it. Dumped the sand, Pulled the filters, replaced the filters, which was expensive as fuck. Then we reassembled and filled it back up. Sand smelled absolutely disgusting and was green and black. Have fun changing it if it’s nasty old.

• Wow
Reactions: DEEZUZ

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Changed a nasty one with my FIL. 10 years old and the pool was nasty black at one point. We partially disassembled it. Dumped the sand, Pulled the filters, replaced the filters, which was expensive as fuck. Then we reassembled and filled it back up. Sand smelled absolutely disgusting and was green and black. Have fun changing it if it’s nasty old.

so i should probably do it sooner than later you're saying

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
so i should probably do it sooner than later you're saying

Well assuming your pool has not been left for years unopened without any maintenance the sand should not be too gross. One I did with the FIL looked like a black scummy swamp when I first went there with him 2 years ago. Sand had to be changed after it was used to filter all that nasty shit.

I did one other with him this year as well that had around 10 year old sand and it was only mildly unpleasant smelling. He did say 10 years is a long time for that sand but it depends a lot on how the pool was used and how well it is maintained.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I like your house congrats and that’s that Florida, Arizona living right there.

We're looking forward to moving in, we've been in a rental since June '21 and can't wait to be back in our own home. While it would have been nice to have a bigger lot and more space between houses, it wasn't worth the extra money to us. We would have been stretching it thin had we gone up in lot size in that location. It's crazy how much more it is for just a half acre. And there are areas where we probably could have bought a lot and had a GC build the house for us, but we just didn't want to deal with that potential headache. I think we'll be very happy in this set-up for many years to come.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
what is nuts about my pool, is ever since i stopped running pucks and have just been adding liquid here and there, it's been waaaaaaaaaaaay more fucking clear.
They say liquid is the way to go, as it wont raise the CYA
I just prefer the pucks as we drain enough water every year that my CYA doesnt get that high.

Thread Info