🏡 Better Homes Aquatic crew assemble: All things pool...

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Solar cover reels? Anyone got one? I have yet to install... Looking for ideas... View attachment 88464

40 mins to roll this out by myself

My mom had one for her 21 foot round pool, it worked decently well, maybe and hopefully they’ve gotten better in the last 15 years, but I remember it being a pain to lift it up onto the pool (needed 2 people) with the cover attached to mount it to then unroll it... HOWEVER if they swing out of the way when the cover is on it, or they just in general have something better than they did 15 years ago, I think that would be the way to go, especially yours being an oval pool vs round.

Also, if you have full sun all day and use it religiously expect bathtub temperature like water.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
My mom had one for her 21 foot round pool, it worked decently well, maybe and hopefully they’ve gotten better in the last 15 years, but I remember it being a pain to lift it up onto the pool (needed 2 people) with the cover attached to mount it to then unroll it... HOWEVER if they swing out of the way when the cover is on it, or they just in general have something better than they did 15 years ago, I think that would be the way to go, especially yours being an oval pool vs round.

Also, if you have full sun all day and use it religiously expect bathtub temperature like water.

This. Ours which we just dragged off and hung over saw horses, 2-3 days and it was 82* water.

Reactions: Shawn1112

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I can inquire more on it.

As I said, this is our stimulation money. I told her we'd split it and she could do whatever the fuck she wanted with her half, as long as she butted out of my business and what I spend my half on.

So she went and got a pool. I just stood back and said "You go girl..."

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Solar cover reels? Anyone got one? I have yet to install... Looking for ideas... View attachment 88464

Had one you cut to size, it worked ok but with the midwest crazy weather the pool wasn't able to be used much unless you were getting full sun for a few days. We ran the solar cover setup for 2 years before we broke down and bought a NG heater. Had it for 5 years now with no regrets. With the heater we can get 2-3 more months of use out of it as well as go in it any day we want regardless of outside temp. My pool is a 18 foot round 54 inch deep (7500 gallons). The NG heater was $1300 (it's rated for a 10-12500 gallon pool) plus around 300 to run the gas line from a licensed contractor.

The heater can heat the pool 2 degrees per hour, no more fucking around with that solar cover.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Good info here to read up on - https://www.swimuniversity.com/

Pool cover - if having issues get a solar cover reel assembly, makes it easy for one person to take off and then back on.

pool heater - I have a roof mounted heater that works off the sun. Thermostat control from 75* to 105*, you set the temp and the heater will automatically open and close a valve until desired temp is met. Works great currently my pool is 90* with an outside temp of 86*.

image.jpg

image.jpg

also have friends with heat pump system to heat their pool, they like it, heats the pool/ spa quickly but cost $$$ to run it in the cold season. Hot tub wise same friend has a valve to only heat the pool, spa, or both.

salt water pool - friend has newer one at his house, told me better than chlorine. Less chemicals, no fading of suits, no smell. he has a pool company take care of it for him so no feedback on price to maintain.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

Buddy has a reel and said if he paid full price (bought from CL) he wouldnt be happy with it.
It gets easier, told you my small ass Wife can do it herself.
Shit is super simple to put together. You can hire a landscaper to clear and level a site for the pool.
My last pool, my Dad, his buddy and I put ours up in 8-10 hours. Not very hard at all.
In fact, our new pool from last year, I asked them to refund the install cost and they wouldnt. Said its part of "the package"
but I remember it being a pain to lift it up onto the pool (needed 2 people) with the cover attached to mount it to then unroll it...

My buddy says the same

DEEZUZ DEEZUZ
I'm willing to bet after the first month you wont be using the solar cover. I have full sun like you and after that first month we dont use it again until end of the season to squeeze in a couple of more pool days. As SaturdayGS said, it will become like bath water and that sucks when its hot as balls out. I dont know about you, but I want my pool to be refreshing when its hot out.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Leaves stay on top of the solar cover and fall into the pool as your pulling the cover off. Neighbor behind me has a large tree and I get the fallout of his leaves pending how the wind is blowing.

We don't seem to have an issue. We have a dreaded fucking Locust tree (I hate locust trees), over ours. We just pull it straight off and knock the leaves off once we drape it over the saw horses we have set up for it.

Thread Info