🏡 Better Homes Aquatic crew assemble: All things pool...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I had it and it sucked, but you having 2 drains in the floor may be a different story for you. Ive mentioned before, we have been thru 4-5 different robot cleaners and they all have sucked imo. None of them lasted longer than a couple of seasons. If your lazy and dont like vacuuming your pool, then by all means find one that works best for you.
We dont mind vacuuming by hand, it literally takes 15-20 min and imo by hand does a better job.

i think the benefit to me running mine every 1-2 days or so is that it agitates the water to keep the water churning since i dont have any bottom drains

Reactions: Shawn1112

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
So what all needs to be done to prep a base for an above ground?

Im trying to decide if I need to get a landscaper out to level the spot and likely cost an arm and a leg, or if maybe I should just do a slightly larger diameter ring of landscape blocks that are like an inch or two above grade, then dump in a ton of sand and compact that?

Looks like itll just be a basic Intex 18' round pool, nothing too crazy, and a "temporary" pool that comes down in winter so I dont have to worry about any village code BS since Im still not positive on the new neighbors if theyll be assholes yet. :bowrofl:

Something like this:

Do I need a sand base, or is compacted soil okay?

I think Ill call a few landscapers to get a quote, but assume itll be 2k plus so trying to think about doing something myself.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Any of you doing saltwater instead of chlorine and all that? The neighbor that had a pool previously had saltwater and loved it, said it was super easy.
I think thats overkill for the type of pool your doing. But I have heard thats the way to go, more so with inground pools.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I just had a close call with our pump. I do a quick visual inspection almost every day of the plumbing and noticed a lot of air bubbling in the filter before the pump. I ran to the skimmer basket to find it mostly obstructed with toys. Damn kid must have chucked in a bunch of stuff. I'm hoping the skimmer didn't suck in too much air and damage the pump. It wasn't totally obstructed, but it definitely wasn't getting good flow.

Thread Info