Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Well, its finally come to this...I'm making a positive thread about something Apple. Quick background on the reason for this thread, for those that don't keep up with my ramblings - I've gone through TWO Fire TV Cubes and both ended up being failures (Netflix did not work properly, HDR to SDR changeover was broken, black screens for no reason, etc). I still wanted to a dedicated streaming box, rather than using my Xbox...and like the saying goes, I WANT IT NOW.

As it turned out, I had a Best Buy gift card I had forgotten about so the cost of entry for the (crazy expensive) Apple TV was just $50, which was a driving force for giving this a try.

I am vocal when it comes to my dislike for Apple products but I was willing to give this a chance based on glowing reviews, and I'm glad I did. Getting right to it, this is a quality product and I have little to no complaints about it. The only problem I had, and this is more because I am not part of the Apple ecosystem, was actually getting myself registered on this thing, which required not only that I create an Apple ID BUT I also had to install itunes on my desktop in order to make it so I can "purchase" apps. The whole process is fucking ridiculous but aside from being annoying, was straightforward.

A big reason I decided to try the ATV was because it supports both Dolby Vision AND Dolby Atmos, something not every streaming box does (especially DV). And those are delivered flawlessly - no weird issues with HDR to SDR, no Atmos glitches, it just works. The OS was another reason I was willing to give it a try - its very smooth and stupid simple to navigate. Once you get the hang of the touchpad remote, navigation is very simple and mostly intuitive (even more when you learn button shortcuts). I still think Roku's OS is better, but only slightly.

That leads me to overall performance, which is fantastic. Apps load very fast, picture quality is fantastic (as it should be) and audio is spot on, with rich dynamic range. I have absolutely no complaints when it comes to this thing delivering the goods.

So basically, thats that. This is my first Apple product and it absolutely does not disappoint. I'm not ready to jump over to an iphone, but this definitely changes my perspective on Apple products.

1577303228244.png

Last edited:

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I have a second generation ATV that a friend gave me since he stopped using it. I’m considering a 4K now that I finally have 4K TV. Question is, is it worth the cost of purchase if I really don’t have any [noticeable] problems with my XBONE S? It’s being passed through a Marantz NR-1607 which handles the 4K and Atmos without issue.

Even though I like high quality audio I’m now ~40% deaf in my right ear. So the importance of a solid 7.1 system and Atmos has decreased a bit.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
If you're happy with what you have now, I would say no. ATV 4k is stupid expensive and the only reason I got it was b/c I could get it cheap.
Pulled the trigger on the 4K 32GB version. Had a certificate from Apple for them screwing me over with my iPhone 6s and iOS 13. So got it for half price, figured why not since I had to use the certificate before it expired at the end of the month. The discount wasn't enough to apply it to a new iMac that I would like, still need to find someplace that sells them at a discount. No way I'm paying close to $3000 for a new 2019 model.

I'll set it up next week when I'm back home in Chicago.

Reactions: Mook
You seem to have enough experience. I cut the cord about two years ago and I've been using Amazon Firestick. I don't spend much time watching TV, but of course, sometimes it is great to watch a good movie or a sport game. To be honest, I'm pleased with my choice as I don't have to pay big bills every month and there is a great amount of good apps (by the way, if someone is looking, there is a good list on https://www.firesticktricks.com/amazon-fire-stick-apps.html). The situation has no doubt changed, and today we have a wider choice of such devices. I'm also not a big fan of Apple products, so it was interesting to read your post. Thanks for sharing!

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
To me Apple TVs are only necessary if you are an iPhone or iPad user. If you want to put something up on your TV thats not googlecast or whatevercast compatible, then you need an Apple TV to airplay with. Lately I've noticed all my Vizio smart TVs have received an update that adds AirPlay capability to them without an apple device attached. This is handy in a pinch, but the performance is shit. Airplaying videos from iPhone or iPad to even a third gen apple TV is 100% better than using the built in airplay in the Vizio TV. But for slide shows of your pictures, its ok to use. Anything else you need the apple TV. I have used literally hundreds of the 3rd, 4th and 4K apple TVs when I worked at the highschool. The 4k apple TVs finally have gig ethernet ports on board, and they will bluetooth pair with your iPhone or iPad for airplay, then they use the upper 80mhz wireless channels to actually talk through. They are SO much better than the 3rd or 4th gen ones. They have more CPU cores and I believe more RAM. So if you are getting an apple TV, its 4k or nothing. And if you use airplay alot, you should upgrade to the 4k version. 2-4th gen ones are meh. Personally I have an old 3rd gen one and a 4k one, and the 4k one just for its air play performance alone is worth it. I like to mirror from my mac to my TV, and when you try to play a video over airplay with a mac, its a mirror and it needs a ton of bandwidth to make it smooth. The earlier ones are fine to airplay videos from apps that the apple TV supports. But from a mac, it has to be a screen mirror and its garbage choppy unless its using a 4k TV. I have several hundred hours of experience troubleshooting airplay performance issues in enterprise environments (with Apple engineers).

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
To me Apple TVs are only necessary if you are an iPhone or iPad user. If you want to put something up on your TV thats not googlecast or whatevercast compatible, then you need an Apple TV to airplay with. Lately I've noticed all my Vizio smart TVs have received an update that adds AirPlay capability to them without an apple device attached. This is handy in a pinch, but the performance is shit. Airplaying videos from iPhone or iPad to even a third gen apple TV is 100% better than using the built in airplay in the Vizio TV. But for slide shows of your pictures, its ok to use. Anything else you need the apple TV. I have used literally hundreds of the 3rd, 4th and 4K apple TVs when I worked at the highschool. The 4k apple TVs finally have gig ethernet ports on board, and they will bluetooth pair with your iPhone or iPad for airplay, then they use the upper 80mhz wireless channels to actually talk through. They are SO much better than the 3rd or 4th gen ones. They have more CPU cores and I believe more RAM. So if you are getting an apple TV, its 4k or nothing. And if you use airplay alot, you should upgrade to the 4k version. 2-4th gen ones are meh. Personally I have an old 3rd gen one and a 4k one, and the 4k one just for its air play performance alone is worth it. I like to mirror from my mac to my TV, and when you try to play a video over airplay with a mac, its a mirror and it needs a ton of bandwidth to make it smooth. The earlier ones are fine to airplay videos from apps that the apple TV supports. But from a mac, it has to be a screen mirror and its garbage choppy unless its using a 4k TV. I have several hundred hours of experience troubleshooting airplay performance issues in enterprise environments (with Apple engineers).
This is good to know seeing as how I just picked up a 4K 32GB for cheap. Only played with it a little. Found that the audio when using the Music app or Plex isn’t all that great. I get better quality using my XBox One S.

Picture quality seems to be good when used with my Samsung QLED.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Little update. Overall, happy with ATV but a bit annoyed with the way that it handles audio via Plex...mainly that it really doesnt support the major formats and instead transcodes everything. However, I stumbled across Infuse 6, which is a program like Plex...in fact, you can link Plex to it so Plex still handles file organization, meta data, etc.

Infuse supports Atmos, Master HD, TrueHD, etc etc. Holy SHIT the difference in audio is incredible. Saving Private Ryan, for example, fills my living room with crystal clear sound, 3d effects and monster base. Same with Jurassic Park. Consider me now a VERY happy camper.

Added bonus, Infuse Pro only costs a buck a month. Happy to pay for it.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I have been very happy with it. Dead simple to use, and now that I discovered Infuse, I can download the highest quality vids and be very happy.

I will say, Apple stuff, in general, is just stupid simple, why I prefer an iPhone for a work device. Just works out of the box. My wife is all about the Apple life, laptop, phone, iPad, and had like a first gen ATV. We eventually gave that to her mom, because we were just using Fire Sticks....but if this cube continues to cause me issues, I'll make the switch...Really all I use it for is basically use it to stream Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and Disney+, so I just need something that works...and I don't particularly want to spend ~$500+ building a HTPC to do basically the same job...

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
They have some quirks, but have worked way better than my previous Androids for work stuff. The email program is good, and has great integration with Outlook (was terrible with Gmail though), the app integrations for proprietary apps is generally REALLY smooth, and Facetime is good when working with techs remotely.

I had Android work phones in the past, and they just weren't as reliable, and the integrations just weren't as good, and the phones seemed much more prone to crashing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info