Apple to get rid of I-tunes

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
The fuck.......

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/apple-set-to-get-rid-of-itunes-reports-say/

Apple confirmed the end of an era on Monday — no more iTunes. The music store available for years on iPods and iPhones has been overshadowed by streaming services, like the company's own Apple Music, and it will soon be phased out, Apple announced at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) on Monday.

The new MacOS Catalina will have an iTunes replacement simply called Music, CNET reports. A new Podcast and Apple TV app with updated features will also be rolled out.

This change had been the subject of speculation in the days leading up to WWDC, with Bloomberg reporting that iTunes was expected be replaced by separate apps for music, TV and podcasts. The change was officially announced by Apple CEO Tim Cook and other company executives at the conference keynote in San Jose, California.

"Customers love iTunes and everything it can do. But if there's one thing we hear over and over, it's 'Can iTunes do even more?'" said Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of software engineering.

Complete coverage of Apple's 2019 WWDC keynote
Several internet sleuths reported spotting clues about the change in advance. Reddit users noticed all of the posts on the iTunes Instagram and Facebook pages have been deleted. Other Apple fans noticed the company moved the content on the iTunes Facebook page to the Apple TV page. And possible leaked images of the three new apps to replace iTunes were revealed on a Mac blog.

iTunes became a staple in the music industry with the advent of the first iPod in 2001. Apple gave consumers an easy — and legal — way to download music right from the iTunes store. Songs started at just 99 cents and now cost an average of $1.29. The current iTunes store not only has 50 million songs, but it also has TV shows and movies available for purchase.

As streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music compete for customers, pay-per-song platforms, like iTunes seem to be falling by the wayside. An Apple Music subscription currently allows customers to listen to songs they previously bought and downloaded from iTunes. It is unclear what will happen to individual songs bought on iTunes if the service does go dark.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Theyre just breaking it up into three apps, it's not like you wont retain your stuff you've bought or downloaded, I'm fine with it. :dunno:

I get theyre saying they don't know what will happen to your songs you already paid for, but theres no way theyre going to just get rid of peoples purchased goods, they'll lose way too much and get sued like crazy.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
"Customers love iTunes and everything it can do. But if there's one thing we hear over and over, it's 'Can iTunes do even more?'" said Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of software engineering.

Literally nobody says that.

In for Apple being sued a second time over iTunes purchases like they were in 2005 when the media only worked on Apple devices.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
iTunes was shit anyways

I didnt use it to play music, but I did use it to sync my phone and keep everything organized. Dont know why you would split up your services over multiple apps vs one to do it all.

Wonder how people will sync their phones now. I dont want to cloud sync. I sync my shit on my PC.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
iTunes was shit anyways

Yes and no.

Bloated no doubt, and handles way more media types than it should.

But really there isn’t a single music app out there for those with massive music collections. The smart playlist features are top notch. The library management system in iTunes works. And for me the library management system is one of the most important things. Too much music to manually manage. I just want to drag/drop music into the app and have it file the music under the Artist/Album/## - Title.ext. I don't want to have to manually make a folder and name it all.

I use MusicPicard to tag all my files. I specifically spend time making sure my tags and album art are accurate because I rely solely on the tags for both the folder/file structure and the library database. I let iTunes manage the files. And there aren’t many apps that do that well.

I’ve tried a few. Recently plex comes closest in terms of dealing with massive libraries. But falls short in its smart playlist system. And it doesn’t manage the files at all.

On Linux there was Songbird and then good old Winamp for Windows.

Rhythmbox for Linux is okay but again missing features that make it easy to work with large libraries.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info