Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
They've just invented something called the "credit card". Revolutionary.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/25/...it-card-announcement-goldman-sachs-event-2019

At Apple’s “show time” services event today, it announced a new Apple Card credit card, promising to improve things about the credit card experience with simpler applications, no fees, lowering interest rates, and offering better rewards.

To get an Apple Card, users will be able to sign up on their phone in the Apple Wallet app and get a digital card that they can use anywhere Apple Pay is accepted “within minutes.” Customers will also be able to track purchases, check balances, and see when their bill is due right from the app.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
:rofl: Apple just wants control of everything, they want to be the bank too. The 3% back on apple purchases is not bad. But just imagine all the interest collected from financially irresponsible sheep burying themselves to their eyeballs because they NEED a new iPhone every year. Its a fucking gold mine there.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I mean getting 2% off anything I purchase using Apple Pay is pretty good, 1% off anything using the actual card is pretty standard. The physical card is pretty cool too, no numbers or anything on it. I guess their real goal is both to make money and to have more security than a traditional credit card.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Personally I think it was a brilliant move
Endless amounts of money coming in that way, customers get better rewards than pretty much every other credit card. 2% is great, especially for business owners

Curious why stock slips when they release things today?

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
https://twitter.com/Bajarin/status/1110233175383404544

I know twitter is full of dumb but the thousands of twitter responses like this that are :bowrofl:. What rock do these people live under? Holy cow 2% back? OMG daily cash back? Can track purchases in an app? This is a GAME CHANGER. BYE BYE other credit card companies. The fucking almighty Apple :rofl:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I mean getting 2% off anything I purchase using Apple Pay is pretty good, 1% off anything using the actual card is pretty standard. The physical card is pretty cool too, no numbers or anything on it. I guess their real goal is both to make money and to have more security than a traditional credit card.

Stop thinking positive. This is apple DUH!! They so stupid. They never get copied at all cause no one likes their ideas!! No one ever talks about their competition that ripped them off and then does more that ends up being either unstable and or never works!

:trump:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
“Apple doesn’t know what you bought, where you bought it, and how much you paid for it,”

Sounds too good to be true. Many questions there. How do they pay merchants if they don't have any info about the purchases? How do they handle issues with products or purchases with vendors? And does that mean you can't use that card as a normal card for online purchases that don't use Apple Pay?

Sounds like they want to have security like cryptocurrency can/should have. I bet that will be their next offering. lol

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
“Apple doesn’t know what you bought, where you bought it, and how much you paid for it,”

Sounds too good to be true. Many questions there. How do they pay merchants if they don't have any info about the purchases? How do they handle issues with products or purchases with vendors? And does that mean you can't use that card as a normal card for online purchases that don't use Apple Pay?

Sounds like they want to have security like cryptocurrency can/should have. I bet that will be their next offering. lol

so a quick glance (still didn't actually read it) after some interest around what you quoted above, here is my guess/take:

you pay with this, and it does have some nice features where they claim to not charge you late fees etc - and maybe it keeps track of lower level type data (l2/l3) where more shit is provided about your transaction. ie. instead of 7.70 starbucks, it also has the data 4.0 latte, 3.30 banana bread. and that data is kept local on your device but not given to apple (or goldman sachs?) - that part is my speculation. what is not speculated but straight spelled out in the article is they use machine learning to categorize things too, which maybe means they guess at a label for something, and you can probably change/type in a new one, and the next time you go make a transaction is has used learned attributes to categorize it in a proper way. which means even at the same store, it might categorize a $5 purchase and $50 purchase differently. it could just store that locally too.

it very well might do more interesting things than current cards offer. are they actionable or do you really care about them? i've never gotten this granular about my spending anyway even as a data nerd. the more compelling part would be things like lower rates or no late fees or this or that fees.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
you fuckers just wait for the TESLA CREDIT CARD

[MENTION=73]tinfoilhat[/MENTION] will be the first to get this.... uhhhhh

giphy.gif

The tesla card wont work since its always in your wallet and cannot retrieve sunlight to recharge itself. :hsughlol:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Looked a little further into this. The cool thing is if you are an iPhone/ Apple Watch user it is completely integrated into your phone- no app or login needed. Just go into your wallet and it has everything you need to pay your balance or check your spending right in the wallet. Also that cash back is instant- it goes right into your Apple wallet where you can use it seconds after you get it.

Obviously it’s just a credit card, nothing special there... i think the cool/innovative part is how you actually handle the payments and data. And there is a lot to be said about them not collecting personal info on you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info