Apocalypse Investment thread.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Goes past just that one port. It's all ports and issues with trains and trucking across the country as well.

They just cancelled shipments today. To help relieve issues, all shipments to Chicago were cancelled. Try again in October.

Unless you are some huge company with special contracts, you are probably screwed.

Earlier I was talking to a company we deal with that is a manufacturer. They have materials in Michigan. They were told by the freight carrier that the shipment from Michigan to them in New York would take 3-4 weeks. Just the shipping time. o_O

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
I'm in the HVAC business and work for a large company that is growing mostly through acquisitions, but also organically. About 2 years ago we were bought by a private equity firm and I was given the option to invest into the company. I didn't think much of it and threw 10k in. Well, 2 years later we were bought out again by the 2nd largest private equity firm in the world and the multiplier for my investment was x5.05. I really felt sick to my stomach that I didn't throw in a shit ton more, but oh well. Quite a few of my coworkers are now absolutely loaded! So I was also given the option to reinvest in the new merger yet again, and this time I rolled over all my earnings and threw another 50k into it making a total of 100k invested. If we can hit that same 5x growth in 2 years I'll be happy...lol.

Any of you here have any private equity investments?

• Wow
Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
markets are taking a shit today :eek3:

The Evergrande Group, one of China’s biggest real-estate developers, owes more than $300 billion to a number of lenders. Its interest liabilities are rising by an average of $28 million daily. On Thursday, Sep. 23, alone, the company needs to pay around $120 million as interest payments to bondholders.

If Evergrande begins to default, it will present the Chinese government with a dilemma. Should the company be bailed out, or should it be allowed to fail?

giphy.gif

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I have a feeling we are going to be seeing and feeling a ripple effect for 5-10 years. I know my company and many others are continuing to partially build products and set them aside to be completed when missing parts arrive. The demand is just going to keep stacking up. This is going to get worse before it gets better.

I'm not a financial genius, but at some point it's going to make sense to just start making stuff domestically again. What good is saving a few pennies on a widget by importing them globally when you can't get them.

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
Had a funny joke with FIST TAGTA FIST TAGTA if he sold his Corvette Grand Sport the min we were talking for 40k and dumped every penny into UAL at that very minute apx at 2:20pm (909 shares), it would have made him about $70 as the stock wasn't very affected but this RED day. Few mins later it went up to $200, then $400, then $700 lol. Obviously cap gain tax and what not but its just funny when you make stupid jokes and stuff mildly takes off and its like wow... thats actually wild . Obviously a 1.66% profit is shit but in a span of 40 mins till the closing bell it was fun especially on a TERRIBLE trading day.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
What happened to mvis?

The entire Russell index came down which in turn almost every stock associated with it is down (doesn't mean all will be). Competitors is also down as well. The entire market pulled back because of inflation fears, economic conditions, tapering plans, ect. Today the overall market showed signs of strength for the first time in a couple/few weeks. Looking to see that extend further upwards which can bring positive sentiment throughout the market.

With $MVIS, still waiting on news of customer or revenue. Next announcement I would believe to be when the earnings call will be. Hopefully good news on that ER.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Rivian’s ipo coming up soon? Should be in the 20’s for stock prices when it goes live.
I have no idea about this IPO. I would have to look into it.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i have no interest in rivian at this time really, esp during IPO. in general now those seem to be listed, pumped, dropped... so i don't find being early on for an IPO too enticing generally speaking now.

i love snowflake and planned to buy its stock - thinking nobody would know some nerd database at listing, instead it went on to be the highest IPO evar, i had friends from hs asking about it, it was in my mom's motley fool newsletter, etc. in any case, i am surprised some orgs have not run to it like i think they should - i literally used to sell $1m racks of gear where snowflake is competitive at with you spending a few bucks and swiping your own credit card - not sure if i know some insider info now or not, but i also know something else they are working on that would make them pretty sexy. i still have a hard time coming in at the current share price though. the whole market tanking would cause me to take a bite though.

i recently did some small bits of private investment. actually there is a wefunder campaign for some vr stuff i invested in prior that is currently raising money - via this crowdfund site you do not need to be an accredited investor either. anyone can invest $500-2200 iirc, or more based on income/net worth.

there are a couple new crowdfunding or peer investing platforms i'd like to try out, forgot what they were but saved them on my phone. i have a little in prosper.com and lendingclub.com, the latter of which changed their business model at least a year ago. i should get on that as a research project. especially if either have historic data i could apply some machine learning goodness to. that could double as me writing a good blog post as well.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I haven't looked at Rivian much, but did put a little money (~$1,000) into Lucid Motors. After the GME and AMC madness a few months ago, I sold and put my remaining cash that I didn't lose into CCIV which later turned into Lucid motors. They have solid leadership and some impressive claims about their products so far. I didn't do much DD though. Since I'm only playing with small money, I basically just made a YOLO buy and am letting it ride for the long term to see what happens.

Thread Info