Anyone with employee pricing on hotel or rental car

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Have you tried booking a rental car through Costco? I recently canceled my reservation with Enterprise (using my company's code) because they were more competitive for our family vacation.

i actually did this last time we traveled as it was the best deal for me through enterprise- i will only rent cars through enterprise or national because i've had issues with other carriers before and it's 10000% not worth the $96 you save across a week long rental to have that headache

Reactions: Rico

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I've been asked once in the last year to show a badge or email to prove my employment when I was renting a car. It's not the norm, but it does happen.
curious what they do if you don't have it and are like hey, i only have it for the corporate office back home - out here i'm visiting a client so i didn't bring it. also wondering if the decision to ask is entirely superficial like someone looks at you and is like "i don't think that guy works for IBM"

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
curious what they do if you don't have it and are like hey, i only have it for the corporate office back home - out here i'm visiting a client so i didn't bring it. also wondering if the decision to ask is entirely superficial like someone looks at you and is like "i don't think that guy works for IBM"
I didn't have my badge. I just opened Outlook on my phone and showed them my email address with my company domain. I'm guessing they would have just charged me the non-discounted price if I couldn't prove it or was using a code from a company I don't work for.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I didn't have my badge. I just opened Outlook on my phone and showed them my email address with my company domain. I'm guessing they would have just charged me the non-discounted price if I couldn't prove it or was using a code from a company I don't work for.
i wonder how easy this would be to fake. i'm sure it is harder these days but i specifically remember logging in to unix mail servers in college and spoofing emails, like writing one to a friend and making it look like it came from someone else, although would expect modern mail clients to call out the headers and such for that as sus af. even if you just have a fake mocked up web page ready to go hosted on www.likeabauce302.com (or even just a picture you flash) then you could also do a quick flash of your "inbox"

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
i wonder how easy this would be to fake. i'm sure it is harder these days but i specifically remember logging in to unix mail servers in college and spoofing emails, like writing one to a friend and making it look like it came from someone else, although would expect modern mail clients to call out the headers and such for that as sus af. even if you just have a fake mocked up web page ready to go hosted on www.likeabauce302.com (or even just a picture you flash) then you could also do a quick flash of your "inbox"
No doubt there are easy ways to fake it.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
We wound up not going. Between airfare, car rental, lodging, eating/drinking and going to a game or 2. It was going to be easily a $2k weekend. Fuck every single bit of that. I think Spring Break played a big issue in prices being nutso.
Travel prices are out of control right now. My weekly expenses used to be in the $1300 range airfare, hotel, food, car. I had a short week in Houston 2 weeks ago (just two nights) and it was almost $2k.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
My wife, daughter, mom and myself just got back from Cozumel Mexico. We left early Sunday morning and arrived back home late Friday. Flew AA Ohare to Miami and Miami to Cozumel airport. Flew United Cozumel to Huston and Huston to Ohare. resort, food and drinks no car rental for about $1,200+ per person plus a ton of tips.
I don’t know if that’s good, bad or ugly. But it was fun.

It was my first time there and first time out of the country.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
My wife, daughter, mom and myself just got back from Cozumel Mexico. We left early Sunday morning and arrived back home late Friday. Flew AA Ohare to Miami and Miami to Cozumel airport. Flew United Cozumel to Huston and Huston to Ohare. resort, food and drinks no car rental for about $1,200+ per person plus a ton of tips.

I went to Cozumel in January and that's about what I paid too. It's pretty good for what you get.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

Did you guys take the ferry to Playa? I like Cozumel for a day, but dont think I can handle a week there. Too small of an island imo, we stay in Riviera Maya and usually go to Playa a few times. When we do we will take the ferry to Cozumel and do a day there. If you’re a seafood eater there is a few places in Cozumel with fresh red snapper meaning still alive. You can pick one out.

Reactions: IZZy

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
We stayed one time in Playa (Mahekal) liked the area quite a bit. Curious if y'all suggest staying anywhere else town wise?
We always stay in Playa or Riviera Maya with between 15-25 people every time we go and everyone always agrees thats the best. We have done Cancun and other places and always go back to RM or Playa. Cancun is a younger crowd, so mix that with all you can drink alcohol at the resorts and you can imagine the idiots in town. We want to stay in Tulum sooner than later as we have visited a few times and its very cool. If you ever make your way down in that area, I can not stress enough to leave the resort and go do things. There is soooo much to see and do in that area

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Yeah I think my wife and I prefer something a bit more chill, though maybe my HS boys might like more of a younger scene.

We did do a day trip to Tulum (the ruins) and a friend has stayed in Tulum which sounds great so between her feedback and yours maybe we'd look into that next time.

Mahekal was around the corner from the Playa main street (5th Ave I think), just about a 2 block walk.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Yeah I think my wife and I prefer something a bit more chill, though maybe my HS boys might like more of a younger scene.

We did do a day trip to Tulum (the ruins) and a friend has stayed in Tulum which sounds great so between her feedback and yours maybe we'd look into that next time.

Mahekal was around the corner from the Playa main street (5th Ave I think), just about a 2 block walk.
Not sure when you were there. But 5th Ave isn’t like it used to be. It’s still fun to go in the evening. But it’s like a fucking mall now. All big name stores and sadly most of the little family owned stores are gone.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Not sure when you were there. But 5th Ave isn’t like it used to be. It’s still fun to go in the evening. But it’s like a fucking mall now. All big name stores and sadly most of the little family owned stores are gone.
It was a few years ago don't even remember the year I'll ask the wife. Definitely felt very commercial, slick. We also went to that big park Xcaret(?) did some water stuff and also watched the big show. Did also visit a cenote which was pretty cool.

But personally I'd like less of a big name store vibe.

Reactions: Shawn1112

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Did you guys take the ferry to Playa? I like Cozumel for a day, but dont think I can handle a week there. Too small of an island imo, we stay in Riviera Maya and usually go to Playa a few times. When we do we will take the ferry to Cozumel and do a day there. If you’re a seafood eater there is a few places in Cozumel with fresh red snapper meaning still alive. You can pick one out.

It was my first time to México. So I don’t know much about places to go and such. We stayed at the Occidental. My daughter and wife were there last year. They stayed at the Allegro. We did not take any ferries. I did see it a few times. We stayed the entire time on the island. For me it’s really really hard. I can’t just shut off my brain and lay around on the beach, read books, drink and play in the water. I’m the type who wants to get out, visit, see things and learn what ever I can. I did get to see some Mayan ruins on the northern side of the island. That was amazing. I would have loved to rent a car, take the ferry and explore the mainland. It was a good trip. As beautiful and tropical Cozumel is. I’d rather just explore and go places everyday than just stay on the beach.

I think we are going to go back next year. We will rent a car, hop on the ferry and go to the mainland for sure.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
It was my first time to México. So I don’t know much about places to go and such. We stayed at the Occidental. My daughter and wife were there last year. They stayed at the Allegro. We did not take any ferries. I did see it a few times. We stayed the entire time on the island. For me it’s really really hard. I can’t just shut off my brain and lay around on the beach, read books, drink and play in the water. I’m the type who wants to get out, visit, see things and learn what ever I can. I did get to see some Mayan ruins on the northern side of the island. That was amazing. I would have loved to rent a car, take the ferry and explore the mainland. It was a good trip. As beautiful and tropical Cozumel is. I’d rather just explore and go places everyday than just stay on the beach.

I think we are going to go back next year. We will rent a car, hop on the ferry and go to the mainland for sure.
Occidental is the same place I stayed at. I didn't like it. I'm like you, I can't sit around and just chill. We did the mayan Ruins too. I'd much prefer going to Cancun or something on the mainland and not being stuck at a mediocre resort that's 20 or so miles from town.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Travel prices are out of control right now. My weekly expenses used to be in the $1300 range airfare, hotel, food, car. I had a short week in Houston 2 weeks ago (just two nights) and it was almost $2k.
my few day work trip to SFO from BKK was around 1100 r/t a few months ago. a couple weeks ago i booked a work trip to LAS for a few days - 1700. i ended up getting it and hotel mixed together for an approved budget amount, then used the old corp code to pull the hotel down and found a premium economy jal/aa ticket that somehow wasn't showing up on google flights for just $100 more. booked it in a hurry, japan to lax segment both ways is potentially upgradeable as well.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Occidental is the same place I stayed at. I didn't like it. I'm like you, I can't sit around and just chill. We did the mayan Ruins too. I'd much prefer going to Cancun or something on the mainland and not being stuck at a mediocre resort that's 20 or so miles from town.
If you ever go back and if you liked the ruins. Go to Chichen Itza, it’s an all day excursion and is bad ass. Or do the Mayan Village excursion. You hike thru a Mayan Village that Myans still live in. MFers are still living in the stone age. They cook you a Mayan meal for lunch at the end and it was ???.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info