Anyone planning on any track days this year?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
ATTENTION #TCGDOESNOTREAD

This is the ROAD RACE SECTION, GTFO out of here drag racers. :s00ls:

As the title states and whatcha racin?

I am planning on at least 5-6 pending availability due to the virus. There has been track days in Michigan already and there's a Road America track day coming up soon, perhaps this weekend?

This is how it looks right now, has come a long way. This was right after we did full track prep with pads, new everything, new bushings, just a ton of new shit that a 20yr old car needs even if it only has 60k miles.

95233766_861591500984118_5880171847290454016_n.jpg

My friend is also building a budget track s2000 as well. His has 100k more miles, is different colours, but they both cost the same amount of money when purchased so we decided to do budget s2000's. I literally got the deal of a lifetime with my car cause when he bought his car it was a pretty good deal too. I think I will make a build thread after I move when I can compile more pictures of what him and I have done so far.

This is his s2000 and the other one is his nice one that he is turning into a very nice street car. He has like 300x more pictures and documentation than I do on his car, I can ask him if he'd be enticed to do a build thread in this section because everything he has done so far over the past year is directly related to turning a 160k mile winter driven s2000 into a daily driver/track car. He has literally replaced every single bushing, bolt, etc underneath that car. It's incredible the amount of work he as done and you wouldn't be the wiser because you can't see any of it.

94427011_660040111210818_8914598389744664576_n.jpg

94654494_751418272060194_2387563953250107392_n.jpg

96786794_268203047899163_6339153441478148096_n.jpg

94258913_562645291037857_2322097162621550592_n.jpg

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I'm signed up for an HPDE in September. We'll see if it actually happens at this rate. It will be my first time out on a road course. I'll be putting a set of Carbotech pads and fresh rotors on the car and probably brake cooling ducts since my car is a heavy land yacht.

One thing you have going for you is carbotech pads are the best pads IMO. They are pricey but I have pushed their pads far past their operation temps and never had fade. What compound did you go with? Currently I am running XP10 front and XP8 rear. I have a picture that I will never be able to find of 4 front xp8's that literally have nothing left on them and the only way I noticed something weird is they didn't bite as hard as I was used to. So I pulled it in after the session and decided to check on them and it was about 80% metal on metal.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
One thing you have going for you is carbotech pads are the best pads IMO. They are pricey but I have pushed their pads far past their operation temps and never had fade. What compound did you go with? Currently I am running XP10 front and XP8 rear. I have a picture that I will never be able to find of 4 front xp8's that literally have nothing left on them and the only way I noticed something weird is they didn't bite as hard as I was used to. So I pulled it in after the session and decided to check on them and it was about 80% metal on metal.

I haven't bought them yet. I'm looking at ordering XP12s and XP10s very shortly. My car will be pushing 4,000 lbs with me and an instructor in it, so I'm thinking those are my best bet. I'll be running at Blackhawk Farms which looks to be a more technical track where I'll be using the brakes a lot.

I entered in the novice group. I have some autocross experience, but it's not exactly comparable to an open track.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
That compound will work great for your car, even at Blackhawk. If you are comfortable with auto-X you will be very happy out on the track. Blackhawk is a bit daunting at first, but you'll rock it out. I hope you really enjoy yourself, because once people get to do something like that with their cars they appreciate them so much more and get addicted. We are few and far between on TCG, so it's great you're taking the plunge!

Reactions: LikeABauce302

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Id like to show up and watch or ride along. I'm way too broke this year to invest in making the car track worthy or risk breaking anything. I think the R would definitely be a lot of run tho. Maybe next year tho.

On TCG just having interest is good enough for me. You might not want to hear it, but your car really doesn't need anything to get out to a track day. Sure your brake pads aren't going to work that well and the tires aren't the best, but in a novice group you would just be learning and not taxing the braking system or the tires. You'd just be out to learn the track and have some fun. You have to be braking late and driving like an asshole like me to really get your OEM brakes to tell you to GTFO. Even then a very mild track pad upgrade for an R is more than enough for asshole driving and late braking.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Id like to show up and watch or ride along. I'm way too broke this year to invest in making the car track worthy or risk breaking anything. I think the R would definitely be a lot of run tho. Maybe next year tho.

This is why I've tried to do at least a couple autox events per year. It's a fun way to kill a Saturday and learn some car control. Wear and tear on the car is pretty minimal and a lot less risk of wrecking.

Now I want to go faster though and get more seat time :)

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
This is why I've tried to do at least a couple autox events per year. It's a fun way to kill a Saturday and learn some car control. Wear and tear on the car is pretty minimal and a lot less risk of wrecking.

Now I want to go faster though and get more seat time :)

I've done a few Auto-X events, and IMO they're more abusive to the car and suspension than an actual track day. Track days are smooth and fast where as an Auto-X is super taxing on the steering and tires. It's also on surfaces that are whatever parking lot they're holding the event in as well and if you want to be competitive you have run tires that are basically useless for anything else but Auto-X.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I've done a few Auto-X events, and IMO they're more abusive to the car and suspension than an actual track day. Track days are smooth and fast where as an Auto-X is super taxing on the steering and tires. It's also on surfaces that are whatever parking lot they're holding the event in as well and if you want to be competitive you have run tires that are basically useless for anything else but Auto-X.

That's true, especially on sticky tires. I've always run my car in street tires, so I just slide around more so than out wear and tear on parts lol. The parking lots can definitely get a little sketchy with bumps or waves in the pavement.

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
I'm registered with Chicago SCCA on June 5th for a evening on Autobahn South - cancelled
June 6th with NWSC for a 1/2 day each of Autobahn North and Full - cancelled
June 7th with NWSC for a full day on Autobahn South - cancelled
All depending what Jaba the Governor deems safe. I've already been informed all drivers meetings are now done in the paddock with everyone wearing a mask. No passengers and no in-car instructors (just lead and follow).
Then planning on July 4th weekend at Gingerman with GPS Tracktime.

Reactions: sickmint79

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I'm registered with Chicago SCCA on June 5th for a evening on Autobahn South.
June 6th with NWSC for a 1/2 day each of Autobahn North and Full
June 7th with NWSC for a full day on Autobahn South. All depending what Jaba the Governor deems safe. I've already been informed all drivers meetings are now done in the paddock with everyone wearing a mask. No passengers and no in-car instructors (just lead and follow).
Then planning on July 4th weekend at Gingerman with GPS Tracktime.

Damn, you're ready to rock and roll. What are you driving?

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
On TCG just having interest is good enough for me. You might not want to hear it, but your car really doesn't need anything to get out to a track day. Sure your brake pads aren't going to work that well and the tires aren't the best, but in a novice group you would just be learning and not taxing the braking system or the tires. You'd just be out to learn the track and have some fun. You have to be braking late and driving like an asshole like me to really get your OEM brakes to tell you to GTFO. Even then a very mild track pad upgrade for an R is more than enough for asshole driving and late braking.

Pretty much this. Sticky tires aren't needed in novice. The only issue an R had running in intermediate was that they use the brakes a lot for traction control/saving the car, if you drive normal or give it a cool down lap every few it should be fine.

But as long as the event allows passengers you are welcome to jump in. You can usually rent a helmet or just need one that is SA2010 or newer.

Way behind on the datsun due to child care duties and work. So the Mazda3 will be getting some new G-Loc R12's and has a semi new set of Hankook RS-4's to make it through the season until the Datsun is ready to track. I got in with a new team for Lemons and hope to get at least one race in this year.

Lemons Races
I was supposed to race Autobahn South for Lemons April 4-5th. - Cancelled
JUN 27-28: The Rust Belt GP – Gingerman Raceway (South Haven, MI) (Signed up and paid for)
OCT 10-11: The Tony Swan Never Say Die Memorial – Gingerman Raceway (South Haven, MI) If a wedding gets cancelled

I will be racing this. Old Mazda3 "Do it for Dale Edition"

1589252557091.png

Personal Car (Mazda3 or maybe the Datsun)
Gridlife Gingerman June 5-7th (Need to find a ticket)
June 19-21, 2020. Gingerman Raceway NASA - If I can't do gridlife I will do this to get a refresher on Gingerman before I race there for Lemons.
Some random GPS/Laps Mondays as I have a ton of PTO to burn.

Trying to get my friend with a miata to go out to one of these SCCA track night events as they let him run without a rollbar in his 2017 Miata. Great cheap way to try things out in a low pressure environment.

Blackhawk Farms Raceway; South Beloit, IL
June 4, July 9, August 6, September 3
GingerMan Raceway; South Haven, MI
June 18, July 17, August 13, September 17

Reactions: 10sec

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
my car still has a mystery misfire which has been slowly addressed/ignored as i've been busy (new job at startup last year) or not there (currently in thailand, house should be sold in next week or two, not sure when exactly i'll be back in the US; at some point there is an incentive to stay out due to tax avoidance...)

this does give me a good kick to go ping my mechanic though.

I haven't bought them yet. I'm looking at ordering XP12s and XP10s very shortly. My car will be pushing 4,000 lbs with me and an instructor in it, so I'm thinking those are my best bet. I'll be running at Blackhawk Farms which looks to be a more technical track where I'll be using the brakes a lot.

I entered in the novice group. I have some autocross experience, but it's not exactly comparable to an open track.

i like gingerman or ab south for newbs. blackhawk is the big test on heat and brakes, even my oil is noticeably warmer there. don't forget the high temp brake fluid of course. being in novice and a first day you may not get into the full on braking you get up to at the track, but 4k is definitely a big girl.

fluid and pads is all you really need to go out and try it. any day will let you watch, depends on the org which will let you ride along with your buddies. most/all will let you ride along with an instructor.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I will for sure be changing brake fluid before I put my car in track. Probably Motul 600 or Castrol SRF. I have a Motive power bleeder to flush the system.
Blackhawk was super hard on the Brakes of my car. I went through half of the R12 pads in weekend and was outside the heat range (need moar cooling). Make sure to really take that cooldown lap seriously. I had smoke coming off my front brakes because I didnt drive around the paddock enough to let them cool down.

Only way most newbies overheat brakes is they spend too much time on them at like half pressure vs a hard firm application then rolling off the brakes as you enter the corner. Gorgeous track though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info