• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Anyone Owned A TBSS?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I owned one for 4 years, AWD. Rear main seals leak a lot on these, trans is glass even in stock form unless you are religious with maintenance. Its a GM so you will be used to all the rattling panels. Other than that i never had any grips with mine. of course i modified the shit out of it where nothing was stock any more either

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
I own an 06 AWD TBSS and I think it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. Almost 90K on it and I've had the usual problems of the front drive shaft spline failure and my trans blew at 52K (if I remember correctly) and those have been my only real problems other than the currently leaking steering rack. No electrical problems, no engine problems other than a water pump going bad.

Most common problems are trans failure and spline failure but that's a 50/50 chance across the entire platform, add the weight of the truck to a trans made for the GTO on a 6.0 and you might run into problems. But then again there are a lot of people out there that do bolt on mods and run at the track quite often and still have no trans problems.

Drive one, see if you like it (chances are you will) and make your decision whether its worth it or not. Any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help you out.

brandoLSX

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time"
Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
I own an 06 AWD TBSS and I think it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. Almost 90K on it and I've had the usual problems of the front drive shaft spline failure and my trans blew at 52K (if I remember correctly) and those have been my only real problems other than the currently leaking steering rack. No electrical problems, no engine problems other than a water pump going bad.

Most common problems are trans failure and spline failure but that's a 50/50 chance across the entire platform, add the weight of the truck to a trans made for the GTO on a 6.0 and you might run into problems. But then again there are a lot of people out there that do bolt on mods and run at the track quite often and still have no trans problems.

Drive one, see if you like it (chances are you will) and make your decision whether its worth it or not. Any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help you out.

I like how you state you have had no real problems BUT front drive shaft spline failure, blown trans, leaking steering rack, no other oh and a water pump fail. Sounds like a terrible experience to me with only 90k on it. That would steer me away from this purchase IMO.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Trans was $2800 and now has a 100,000 mile warranty, front spline issue was a little more because I had my ENTIRE front driveline redone.

Yes it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. If you'd like me to tow your Subaru to the track and beat you in the quarter I can. Tow a full trailer of snowmobiles and 4 adults with all their gear at the same time, I can do that.

ANY vehicle that gets up there in mileage needs repairs and the higher the performing the vehicle the more expensive or frequent the repair especially when the family hauler hot rod weighs what the TBSS weighs and gets driven like I drive mine. I don't give a flying fuck if you don't like what I drive, I love my truck.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Trans was $2800 and now has a 100,000 mile warranty, front spline issue was a little more because I had my ENTIRE front driveline redone.

Yes it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. If you'd like me to tow your Subaru to the track and beat you in the quarter I can. Tow a full trailer of snowmobiles and 4 adults with all their gear at the same time, I can do that.

ANY vehicle that gets up there in mileage needs repairs and the higher the performing the vehicle the more expensive or frequent the repair especially when the family hauler hot rod weighs what the TBSS weighs and gets driven like I drive mine. I don't give a flying fuck if you don't like what I drive, I love my truck.

With all due respect, you're judgement for best vehicle ever appears to be based on a combination of utility and horsepower and not reliability. That's fine but most would take your comments to be related to overall reliability which makes the claim of "best vehicle but I had all these problems" a little incongruent because let's be honest, 90k isn't a lot of mileage and I'd also be a bit weary of a repair list that long for that mileage.

As far as buying one of these goes, drive one first. My dad has one and it is absolutely the poster child for what was wrong with GM interiors. You got your mix of hard plastics in various different shades of the same color and different textures, ill fitting hard panels, creaking and just general cheapness. If you value comfort and quality at all it's not a pleasant space to pass the miles. GM's interiors for the time were probably the worst of the big three so it's something to keep in mind.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
With all due respect, you're judgement for best vehicle ever appears to be based on a combination of utility and horsepower and not reliability. That's fine but most would take your comments to be related to overall reliability which makes the claim of "best vehicle but I had all these problems" a little incongruent because let's be honest, 90k isn't a lot of mileage and I'd also be a bit weary of a repair list that long for that mileage.

As far as buying one of these goes, drive one first. My dad has one and it is absolutely the poster child for what was wrong with GM interiors. You got your mix of hard plastics in various different shades of the same color and different textures, ill fitting hard panels, creaking and just general cheapness. If you value comfort and quality at all it's not a pleasant space to pass the miles. GM's interiors for the time were probably the worst of the big three so it's something to keep in mind.

It's standard Chevy truck interior, I have 75k on mine and have never done anything but brakes and oil changes,

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Right, if you want high end interior buy a high end car. Until you get to a Vett or some Cadillacs you're nowhere near high end in the GM roster. I meant my favorite vehicle because I tow with it, it has plenty of space for everything i pack into it and it gets up and goes when I want it to. No it's not a cheap vehicle to maintain when things go wrong but when they do go wrong (as with any vehicle people modify) its an excuse to upgrade and I didn't want a hot rod that I drive every once in a while when the weather is nice. If I wanted that I would've kept my Escalade and gotten a Trans Am.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info