• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Anyone Owned A TBSS?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
All that work for maybe 2-3mpg's difference stock. The 5.3 isn't exactly a fuel sipper.

wat.

not sure if serious...

Yeah they are few and far between I only found 2 Normal size ones when I was looking in the older ext's the 5.3 was more common, I have a few bolt ons but on the highway I get 22-23mpg I average 18 town and county driving

exactly...

a tbss will never see 18 mpg... ever.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
We had an AWD TBSS from 08-09, bought it with 21k, sold it with ~45k.
For a nearly new vehicle it was a HUGE piece of shit.
Had to go back to the dealer on the flatbed more than once - dead starter and some other electrical gremlin.
All totalled it was at the dealer 6 times in that year if not more for random little bullshit - fuel sender, leaky pinion seal, leaky sunroof, flaky nav, heated seat quit working, etc...
As soon as the bumper to bumper was up it was GONE.
I put a toon together for it right after we got it which likely saved the trans from my heavy foot.

I don't think the issues we had were caused by the drivetrain, rather that the Trailblazer is a piece of shit.

Get a Tahoe.
If you're after mileage get an 05-06, they have e-fans and some other minor stuff to help out mileage. Plus you won't have to worry about the Castech head issues.
My wife's 03 gets better mileage than the TBSS ever did (TBSS got 15 no matter what, Tahoe will get 18-19 no bs on the interstate, about 14 around town). It is better in the snow and will pull our boat and/or car trailer with ease.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
We had an AWD TBSS from 08-09, bought it with 21k, sold it with ~45k.
For a nearly new vehicle it was a HUGE piece of shit.
Had to go back to the dealer on the flatbed more than once - dead starter and some other electrical gremlin.
All totalled it was at the dealer 6 times in that year if not more for random little bullshit - fuel sender, leaky pinion seal, leaky sunroof, flaky nav, heated seat quit working, etc...
As soon as the bumper to bumper was up it was GONE.
I put a toon together for it right after we got it which likely saved the trans from my heavy foot.

I don't think the issues we had were caused by the drivetrain, rather that the Trailblazer is a piece of shit.

Get a Tahoe.
If you're after mileage get an 05-06, they have e-fans and some other minor stuff to help out mileage. Plus you won't have to worry about the Castech head issues.
My wife's 03 gets better mileage than the TBSS ever did (TBSS got 15 no matter what, Tahoe will get 18-19 no bs on the interstate, about 14 around town). It is better in the snow and will pull our boat and/or car trailer with ease.

Jesus, what the hell was wrong with your truck?!?! Only electrical gremlins I know of are fixed by better grounding in the engine compartment and the ignition switch that causes a myriad of problems thru everything GM with that switch.

Oh and the 5.3 gets around 16 mpgs mixed driving and 19 highway. My truck gets 15.7 mixed and anywhere between 18-20 mpg's highway depending on how big a hurry I'm in. Cold weather mpg's are pure shit and drop by about 3 mpg's when it's cold but if I was worried about gas mileage I wouldn't have bought the truck, I would've gotten a Volkswagen.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
What was wrong with it?
It was a piece of shit Trailblazer, that's what was wrong with it...vehicles like that make it clear why GM went bankrupt. Terrible vehicles surrounding a fantastic power plant.

You're jaded as fuck if you really think your AWD TBSS gets 18-20 doing anything other than coasting down a hill in neutral with a train of cocks pushing it.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
You're right, I'm lying about my gas mileage, I have so much to gain by making shit up on a fucking car forum. Nah, I really get 3 mpg's but I'm going to put a Tornado in my air intake, those claim to get better mileage. That make you feel better?

Average mpg's is 15.7
City driving is fucking atrocious at 10-11mpg's if I'm lucky but I don't drive in the city.
Highway mpg's is 18-20. I drove from my house to Door County before the header install and got 18.5 (while desperately needing an oil change and tune up) for the entire trip including driving around town and the whole peninsula. Trips to and from DeKalb on 88 I average between 19 and 20 mpg's

I don't give a fuck that you don't believe me, you've obviously had a bad experience with GM and you're still pissed about it and I would be too but you're talking out of your ass if you think I'd be lying about something I see every day and pay for at the pump.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Jesus, what the hell was wrong with your truck?!?! Only electrical gremlins I know of are fixed by better grounding in the engine compartment and the ignition switch that causes a myriad of problems thru everything GM with that switch.

Oh and the 5.3 gets around 16 mpgs mixed driving and 19 highway. My truck gets 15.7 mixed and anywhere between 18-20 mpg's highway depending on how big a hurry I'm in. Cold weather mpg's are pure shit and drop by about 3 mpg's when it's cold but if I was worried about gas mileage I wouldn't have bought the truck, I would've gotten a Volkswagen.

is that 16/19 what gm says for the 5.3? my numbers i posted arnt really highway numbers they are 55mph country roads my average is 50% town and 50% 55mph normally im around 18.5 if i dont drive like a tool all the time, the only time ive taken the trailblazer on a trip that was mostly highway i averaged 23.5, when im towing my boat i get right around 16

that said i think we lost sight of the point of this thread lol, i like my trailblazer, i like the ss trailblazer and i would buy another one

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
is that 16/19 what gm says for the 5.3? my numbers i posted arnt really highway numbers they are 55mph country roads my average is 50% town and 50% 55mph normally im around 18.5 if i dont drive like a tool all the time, the only time ive taken the trailblazer on a trip that was mostly highway i averaged 23.5, when im towing my boat i get right around 16

that said i think we lost sight of the point of this thread lol, i like my trailblazer, i like the ss trailblazer and i would buy another one

My gtp gets 39 Mpg hwy so whatever brah

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
I just can't believe that yours gets that mileage when ours, which had 1/4-1/2 the mileage, lean cruise tune and was in good running condition never saw better than 15-16 going 75-80.
Not saying you're lying but there's no reason for that wide a variance.

On topic, my experience with a TBSS was terrible, largely because like I said, it was a great powerplant wrapped in one of GM's biggest piece of shit bodies.
Our Tahoe on the other hand has been a reasonably good vehicle. New hubs and brakes at 90k and it's been solid. The front diff is starting to growl but it's easy to pop out and have gone thru on the cheap.
If I were going to fucking Alaska I sure as hell would take a full size truck based vehicle over a 1/4 ton. Especially with NBS Tahoes/Suburbans being cheaper than a TBSS.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
Holy shit... after reading this, it seems that more owners have had issues than those that haven't. I definitely don't want to fork out the cash for one and always be worried that I'm gonna get stuck in sub-zero temps with a baby in the back.

I definitely appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'm keeping the search going!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
You're right, I'm lying about my gas mileage, I have so much to gain by making shit up on a fucking car forum. Nah, I really get 3 mpg's but I'm going to put a Tornado in my air intake, those claim to get better mileage. That make you feel better?

Average mpg's is 15.7
City driving is fucking atrocious at 10-11mpg's if I'm lucky but I don't drive in the city.
Highway mpg's is 18-20. I drove from my house to Door County before the header install and got 18.5 (while desperately needing an oil change and tune up) for the entire trip including driving around town and the whole peninsula. Trips to and from DeKalb on 88 I average between 19 and 20 mpg's

I don't give a fuck that you don't believe me, you've obviously had a bad experience with GM and you're still pissed about it and I would be too but you're talking out of your ass if you think I'd be lying about something I see every day and pay for at the pump.

2267B3E0-4656-4347-99AE-E45F790517E2-6238-000000B6BD3966C3_zps5ce0825c.jpg

B8478973-C0B5-4957-84A4-4290681DD617-6238-000000B725F5399B_zpsa0808c60.jpg

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
For what the truck is it gets good mpg's, and had they not revoked my plate it'd still say SMRTSS1. Maybe I should buy a bucket of shit Subaru and drive like a crippled old lady in the right lane like you do. $4K to get my truck to where it is right now is worth it to me with warranties on everything that went bad and isn't even scratching the surface for what a lot of people put into their cars. Or should I have just taken that $4K and gone and bought a car just like yours? Go troll somewhere else fuckwad.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
For what the truck is it gets good mpg's, and had they not revoked my plate it'd still say SMRTSS1. Maybe I should buy a bucket of shit Subaru and drive like a crippled old lady in the right lane like you do. $4K to get my truck to where it is right now is worth it to me with warranties on everything that went bad and isn't even scratching the surface for what a lot of people put into their cars. Or should I have just taken that $4K and gone and bought a car just like yours? Go troll somewhere else fuckwad.

What's wrong with that? I get awesome gas mileage :fawkdance:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

LOL that was easy. Someone is a bit sensitive. I've never ONCE suggested someone buy a subaru; in fact the complete opposite. They're hunks of shit.

I do enjoy going 65mph in the right lane getting 28 mpg's though and being just as fast bone stock as your tbss.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info