Anyone know how work on drum brakes?

forbanger

Regular
Aug 23, 2007
Well my kids car, 1995 Chev Beretta, has this weird problem. The rear pass brake grips very hard.

The wheel cylinder look fine so there is no fluid in the drum at all. shoes ,springs, adjuster looks good.

I backed off the shoes via adjuster but it only lasts for a week then I have to do it all over again. I told him not to use the e-brake either so it never gets engaged.

Again, this is only on the rear pass side.

Anyone have any clues?

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
^this, hardware kits are cheap. Anything that rub against anything minus the friction surfaces obviously, use a light coat of antiseize or brake hardware specific grease. Just enough though, if you go nuts, just going to be a mess later. Make sure the backing plate is not rusted over where the shoes rub, same with all other surfaces that rub against each other.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
that about right for having the old delco spur gear failure prone abs systems that likes to drop circuit gears and leave the piston in a non home position....sometimes it killes a circuit completly or just partially restricts it
this system almost always fails in a way that leaves the rear circuits "sensitive"

there's several tsb's on it but essentially your going to have to replace the unit or pull the bottom cover off and see which gear falls the fuck off, toss it on and spin it to re home it then unplug the fucker so it wont happen again.

it isnt your brakes, its the abs unit, ive replaced probably a 100 or more over the years and its one reason that system was onlky used for a few years in the early 90's
it has several solenoids on the top and on the bottom of the 3 motor pack is a large flat cover that the gears sit inside

ill see if i can find a pic of a failure

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
best way to do drums i found is, lift the whole rearend up. Take about and remove drum. Then do one side at a time. Takes about 100 trips back to the other side to see where each spring goes and which little whole it goes into...lol But by taking your time and checking often, not really so hard to do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info