3800 anyone have xp hot cam in their gp?

• Thread starter imported_silverbullet
  • Start date
I

imported_silverbullet

ok, people i help with this one! i have most of bolts on stuff on my gp that i'm very happy with. well except headers, but that will come later. anyway this spring i'm planning to install xp hot cam from zz performance. i know you must replace the chain, springs, retainers, and gaskets. i'm thinking while the engine is tearing apart i'm gong to go ahead and replace roller lifters, valve locks, push rods, and valve seals now is this neccessary to replace these parts or it's just a waste of money? what about intercooler do i need it so i don't get kr? if i do need intercooler i'm thinking about the short stack intercooler, cause that fit my budget. last question will my stock transmission be able to handle all this power? do i need stall converter? or what kind of mod i need to do to the transmission?

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by rion02gtp@Dec 12 2005, 12:56 AM
ok, people i  help with this one! i have most of bolts on stuff on my gp that i'm very happy with. well except headers, but that will come later. anyway this spring i'm planning to install xp hot cam from zz performance. i know you must replace the chain, springs, retainers, and gaskets. i'm thinking while the engine is tearing apart i'm gong to go ahead and replace roller lifters, valve locks, push rods, and valve seals now is this neccessary to replace these parts or it's just a waste of money? what about intercooler do i need it so i don't get kr? if i do need intercooler i'm thinking about the short stack intercooler, cause that fit my budget. last question will my stock transmission be able to handle all this power? do i need stall converter? or what kind of mod i need to do to the transmission?
[snapback]106874[/snapback]​
the cam has some what of an intercooler effect you cna run a 3.0 pulley with it usallywith headers you will need them before trans actully with that kind of power
an ic will help even a ss ,honestly tho id save for a full one you will eventully put it on so just do the job once, not sure if all that is neccessary, call zzp they will tell you what you need for your milage vehicle ,high miles equals more parts need ..just basic matiance, as far as a trans...................start saving you need it to grab mid 12's for the most part

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
ssic is great for the money, but you also need injector spacers, so its like 700...500 for kit, 110 for spacers, 90 for pump plus shipping and handling. you can find a used stage 2-3 ic for around 700-1000. i would wait and get the full ic. that's my suggestion, i went with the ssic for cost reasons and b/c i have the ascd hood and the zzp full ic doesn't fit under that hood. with my mods listed below, i still see 1-2*kr w/ a 3.2 pulley. on race gas i can run 3.0 w/o kr.

but either way an ic is next to necessary (not always but...) to acheieve max hp.

Well I just came back from ZZP. They did an XP install for me. Now I brought the cam, install kit, lifters, pushrods, double roller timing chain, valve seals, and TOG's headers. I didn't want to pay for an install and have something very small brake and have to tear apart the engine. I guess its really about peace of mind. I haven't really ran my car yet or scaned it but I can already feel it pull harder.

Originally posted by Kyle@Dec 13 2005, 02:53 AM
u dont need an ic to run a cam.

you will probabally lose all knock you have already and possibly be able to drop down.
[snapback]107100[/snapback]​

Ya we actually talked a little about it. He said right now I wouldn't need an ic. Which I agree with. And this morning I opened her up a little bit on the express way and didn't see any kr except for 1.xx degrees at higher speeds. He told me when he did the wideband that I'm running a little rich. So that when I drop to a 3.2 or something it should be all good. Now all I need to do is find out some way to get in contact with Charles so he can flash my pcm with a cam file.

Does anyone know if I do drop to a smaller pulley size will I lose all of the kr? Because then I would lean it out some, right?

S

sr71_rgl

does anyone know if I do drop to a smaller pulley size will I lose all of the kr?

You might increase KR w/the extra air being crammed into the motor, but you'll be making more power too though. Depending on the method (pcm or afc) and how rich zoomer's got it tuned going down a pulley size might put the 02s where you want em.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info