Anyone have experience with the 3.0L V6 in early-2000s Rangers?

b00sted

He's Still Your President
Reaction score
Just wondering if they're ok/reliable. I'm looking at a Ranger with the 3.0 V6, a 5-speed, and about 120k on the clock. It looks to be well maintained in the pictures, but I haven't seen it in person yet.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Reaction score
3.0's are pretty dead nuts reliable however you've got to wind em out quite a bit to get the power on. The 4.0 would be the better choice for towing/hauling if that's what your looking to do. The MPG delta is negligible in my experiences.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
And with a 5 speed you won't have to worry about it just not moving one day.

b00sted

He's Still Your President
Reaction score
Haha, yeah a 5.3, 4L80, and 8.8"(if it doesn't have one already) would practically fall right in.

I'm looking for a daily driver that I can also use to transport the dirtbike and occasionally move random stuff. I'm not looking to tow anything more than a small utility trailer.

Frostopsy

Reaction score
Funny part is, that the 5.3 will probably get better mpg and is easier to work on.

That's the problem with car guys... daily's turn into projects, and it all goes downhill from there. Then you need a new daily.

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
Only Emerson tagged me.... Really???

1998+ rangers have these known 'problem points':

Front suspension wear:
the upper ball joints are not replaceable
Control arm bushings go causing inner camber wear
Whole front rebuild cheap and easy (sub $200 in parts + an alignment) just a thing to be aware of

'the ranger lean':
They all lean to the left, the fuel tank strictly sits on the driver side... As does the 300lb delivery driver that used it the 10 years before you bought it.
If it bothers you, replace the leafs, reasonable cost, but you will break lots of rusty bolts.

4.0 SOHC:
Steer clear of early trucks, they like to eat timing belt tensioners

4.0 OHV:
Near bullet proof, very thirsty (MAYBE 15mpg in 4x4 trim)
Coil packs are prone to fail
3.0 OHV:
Gutless, also nearly bullet proof (surprisingly have a dead on in my garage)
Camshaft Syncros are prone to fail
4 bangers:
The OHV ones are gutless but reliable. The newer OHC ones are actually quite nice
Transmissions (auto) are prone to failure.

Manual Transmission V6 trucks - M5ODr2:
Very easy to bend shift forks, do not shift like you are imitating fast and the furious and it won't happen.

Rear spring shackles and hangers-
They rust BAD, super cheap to replace, and can be done with the bed on, but will be a rust-in-eyes filled event.

Pre-2000 4x4 front hubs- are Vacuum operated, and known to be problematic/finicky

Lastly, 5.0 SBF damn near bolts in from the 1996+ V8 explorers, which is the motor is should have come with from the factory.... I'm working on my SECOND V8 ranger right now.

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
Haha, yeah a 5.3, 4L80, and 8.8"(if it doesn't have one already) would practically fall right in.

I'm looking for a daily driver that I can also use to transport the dirtbike and occasionally move random stuff. I'm not looking to tow anything more than a small utility trailer.
most rangers have a 7.5, the 8.8 was optional. It was standard on some flavor of 4.0 4x4 trucks, but most Rangers don't have many options to begin with :-(.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
Only Emerson tagged me.... Really???
did you really want a million tags? it was the second post, no need to tag you again. but if it makes you feel warm and tingly inside
[MENTION=126]Dasfinc[/MENTION]

:rofl:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom