Anyone have a free way to check "book time" on cars?

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
without buying alldata or equivalent.

I do side jobs, and ive been talking it over with a few friends who do it as well, and its been determined that i charge WAY too little for sidework.

Basically id like to just charge book time then split it in half (so 50/hr or so)

I get this fear of calling customers back and saying "ill do it for $xxx" because I know how to do it, and it isnt worth $xxx per se... But still, every time, the customer still acts surprised at the low price, and i have never had anyone deny me.

TonzKnock-G

Donating Member
Reaction score
Charge what ever you feel is fair. Its good to have people in this world who like to give their services for a good price instead of what everyone else and their momma might charge. Especially stealerships.

OP
syP

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
well then i hear from women and newbs... that if you charge TOO cheap... the customer can be like "wtf?" too cheap..

If someone charged you $50 for a cam swap.. would you hop right onto it? or would you feel more comfortable with someone charging your $400.. ya know?

chris101

Reaction score
meh, If you have a good reputation as an honest and good mechanic, I would gladly pay the $50 and NOT the $400 ..

make sense?

EmersonHart13

AKA Emerballs & Emerstaxxx
Donating Member
Reaction score
You want to swap my cam for 50? Sweet.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
meh, If you have a good reputation as an honest and good mechanic, I would gladly pay the $50 and NOT the $400 ..

make sense?
Good point. But in order for that to work, folks need to know your reputation in advance.

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
GTP mike has access to the PT forums right?? IIRC there are rapidshare links somewhere on there to download GM SI.

G_T_P

Reaction score
Swap my cam out for 50 bucks ill do it lmao!

chris101

Reaction score
you just need to start with a few people and you might be surprised how fast the reputation spreads and you get work from all over...

we did side work for a little while and it got overwhelming (no personal time) so we don't do it any more now except for immediate family and good friends from time to time...

OP
syP

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
We already do.. (me and a co-worker do side jobs.. some of you may remember we had our own garage)

i still need to make my time worth while... i DO enjoy my days off doing nothing ya know ;)

chris101

Reaction score
there you go..

We have plenty to keep us busy with our track cars and other vehicles and the tire mounting/balancing we do on the side...

just one posting many months ago on one little forum and people PM out of nowhere it seems now to get stuff mounted and balanced.. that and the referral phone calls, etc.

..and what's ironic is I even tried to stop the whole process when some people got all in our face on the thread about proper insurance and getting sued...

It's simple, we do cash sales, and don't touch wheels we know our machines can't handle, people are responsible for taking back their own old tires since we aren't a shop so its up to the customer to go to a proper tire shop to dispose tires properly/legally.

I'm sure your the same way.. you get a read on some people you just know you dont' want to work for them on any level so you turn work away (unless you've been fortunate enough to just get great customers and referrals!!!)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom