Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
My mom is looking to have their deck restained since my dad did it with the skill of a one armed blind person. She just got quoted $1000 just for the deck which seems outrageous to me.

I can take pics but I'm not sure if it will need to be stripped, power washed or what. The deck is maybe a year or two old...stain a year or so old. She wants a good job but doesnt have a huge budget.

Im at the house now so Im gonna go snap a pic of the deck real quick.

Why cant I do it? Because I too would do it with the skill of a blind cripple :rofl:

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The person who quoted said they would need to strip / sand.

bb708f85cf529eb5dfedad4695983c44.jpg

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
That's a pretty damn small deck. I'd do it for about $500 including materials. would take maybe half a day, by hand, with a brush. Need about 3 days of sunshine. One day to spray stain remover/power wash/let dry, one day to re-stain with a stain of your choosing, and another extra day for it to dry. Hardest thing, like said before, is the prep and cleaning. By the looks of it, whoever did it before did an awful job. I see running of stain all over the place on the side of the steps.

If you stick with the same stain, you really don't need to sand. Personally, that stain color looks pretty good too.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The workers need to put plastic up to protect the house and shrubs or, at least, keep it wet so it doesn't get damaged by the chemical stripper, then pre-wet the deck and apply the stripper. After that, there's a waiting period while the stripper works then the final wash/rinse with a power washer. As mentioned, don't get too close. Let the stripper do the work if possible. Power washing wood is a difficult process if you are trying to use the pressure to remove the stain/dirt. It's a process for pros, not amateurs. It's very easy to damage the wood by getting too close or by stopping in the middle of a board. You need to move smoothly at a fixed distance from one end of the board to the other and stop at a seam or lift to stop the pass neither of which is easy unless you are used to the motions. I have seen a lot of decks badly damaged by supposed "pros" who got too close and cut into the wood.

After the prep and wash steps, the workers need to let the deck dry completely before staining. It's important to pay attention to the weather forecast. I used to give a deck a day or two of sunlight to dry. Staining should take an hour or two depending on how many coats are needed.

Edit: Ha Ha. Treed.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
I'll find a picture of my parents deck I did last year for them, it was about 3 or 4 times that size. That was an absolute pain in the ass, but when it's finished, i had a hard on for that deck.

A good stain in a good color is looks awesome!

Edit: here is a crappy cellphone picture from about 5 years ago when I did theirs, can't find last years. That's about a 22' x 12 deck with built in benches. Then there was a severe thunderstorm the next day. lol

Mine was really bad, I bought some stain stripper from the Home Depot. After that cleaned it with a deck cleaner product, also from Home Depot. After the stripper is applied and let rest about an hour you can take a pressure washer and blast everything off. It was easy, if anything remains just repeat the process in those stains until they come clean. I used a vegetable sprayer to spread that stain stripper. It is some nasty shit, get it on your skin and it will burn the shit out of you like NOW.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...320043.-2207520000.1469594499.&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...320043.-2207520000.1469594499.&type=3&theater

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info