Anyone good with staining a deck?

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
My mom is looking to have their deck restained since my dad did it with the skill of a one armed blind person. She just got quoted $1000 just for the deck which seems outrageous to me.

I can take pics but I'm not sure if it will need to be stripped, power washed or what. The deck is maybe a year or two old...stain a year or so old. She wants a good job but doesnt have a huge budget.

Im at the house now so Im gonna go snap a pic of the deck real quick.

Why cant I do it? Because I too would do it with the skill of a blind cripple :rofl:

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
these guys are nuts with some of the quotes (angies list etc), I have deck trim peices that is crumbling myself due to negligence (used wood here and there when the rest is all trex), so out for this project.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
The person who quoted said they would need to strip / sand.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
They sell kits that make it very easy to clean the deck and then stain it. I did my moms years ago and it turned out good. Key is cleaning and prep then make sure the stain doesn't run when you lay it on. It is a bit of a pain in the ass, but a good way to get outside for a while

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
The person who quoted said they would need to strip / sand.

I bet they feel they need to sand it due to all of the runs on there. I am not 100% sure if that cleaner/prep will strip those runs off

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Ya. He did a really shitty job.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
I think those cleaning kits are pretty cheap at Home Depot. You could always try it on a section first to see if it would work or it more work needs to be put into it to strip and clean it.

b4black

Reaction score
I think it looks great. You just need to lower your standards.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Theyre not my standards, its my moms. And honestly, it doesnt look great in person.

LoveSpank

JTICE
Reaction score
Is she sold on stain? Just asking cause maybe she may want it a color and some of the deck over products are badass and last longer

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I think just the deck. Need to ask.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
That's a pretty damn small deck. I'd do it for about $500 including materials. would take maybe half a day, by hand, with a brush. Need about 3 days of sunshine. One day to spray stain remover/power wash/let dry, one day to re-stain with a stain of your choosing, and another extra day for it to dry. Hardest thing, like said before, is the prep and cleaning. By the looks of it, whoever did it before did an awful job. I see running of stain all over the place on the side of the steps.

If you stick with the same stain, you really don't need to sand. Personally, that stain color looks pretty good too.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The workers need to put plastic up to protect the house and shrubs or, at least, keep it wet so it doesn't get damaged by the chemical stripper, then pre-wet the deck and apply the stripper. After that, there's a waiting period while the stripper works then the final wash/rinse with a power washer. As mentioned, don't get too close. Let the stripper do the work if possible. Power washing wood is a difficult process if you are trying to use the pressure to remove the stain/dirt. It's a process for pros, not amateurs. It's very easy to damage the wood by getting too close or by stopping in the middle of a board. You need to move smoothly at a fixed distance from one end of the board to the other and stop at a seam or lift to stop the pass neither of which is easy unless you are used to the motions. I have seen a lot of decks badly damaged by supposed "pros" who got too close and cut into the wood.

After the prep and wash steps, the workers need to let the deck dry completely before staining. It's important to pay attention to the weather forecast. I used to give a deck a day or two of sunlight to dry. Staining should take an hour or two depending on how many coats are needed.

Edit: Ha Ha. Treed.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
I'll find a picture of my parents deck I did last year for them, it was about 3 or 4 times that size. That was an absolute pain in the ass, but when it's finished, i had a hard on for that deck.

A good stain in a good color is looks awesome!

Edit: here is a crappy cellphone picture from about 5 years ago when I did theirs, can't find last years. That's about a 22' x 12 deck with built in benches. Then there was a severe thunderstorm the next day. lol

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
Fucking PSI wash it, and slap some shit down and call it done!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It really is just that easy, less there's something you can add to the power washer to kill any mold/mildew/etc. Then let it dry for 24hrs+ (according to the directions) and stain that bitch. DONE DEAL!

Carls2001ws6

Reaction score
Mine was really bad, I bought some stain stripper from the Home Depot. After that cleaned it with a deck cleaner product, also from Home Depot. After the stripper is applied and let rest about an hour you can take a pressure washer and blast everything off. It was easy, if anything remains just repeat the process in those stains until they come clean. I used a vegetable sprayer to spread that stain stripper. It is some nasty shit, get it on your skin and it will burn the shit out of you like NOW.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=711689258874212&set=pb.100000994320043.-2207520000.1469594499.&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=713044598738678&set=pb.100000994320043.-2207520000.1469594499.&type=3&theater

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom