🏡 Better Homes Anyone get a garage built recently?

I have a garage, but I'm thinking about installing a carport. It seems to be a good idea to protect my car from heat and rain/snow when I need to drive somewhere several times a day. Though I checked these carolina carports reviews, I can't decide what type of carport to choose, with the sides closed or open. Is the difference only in their look?

Reactions: oliverblack77

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I have a garage, but I'm thinking about installing a carport. It seems to be a good idea to protect my car from heat and rain/snow when I need to drive somewhere several times a day. But I can't decide what type of carport to choose, with the sides closed or open. Is the difference only in their look?

I have a car port on the side of my house.
I like it because it keeps my car in the shade and somewhat protects it from the elements. Snow still blows into the car port, but less snow gets on the car than if the car were parked without any overhead cover. Same with rain. A heavy downpour with high winds, still allows some water to get on my car. If it's just a normal rain shower, my car stays dry.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
When we were looking for land and at home plans some things on my list for a garage in no particular order:

- In floor heat, heated aprons.
- Floor drains. Longitudinal drains inline with cars centered under cars.
- 8’ tall doors instead of 7’.
- High lift/low headroom tracks for said doors.
- 10’ or 18’ wide doors instead of 8’ or 16’.
- Rear roll up door for ventilation and getting stuff to back yard.
- At least 4’ of wall space on either side of garage door for door swing clearance. 8’ between garage doors.
- Storage trusses above.
- Awning windows on side and back walls for light and ventilation without compromising wall space.
- Barrier free entry to house and back yard.
- Stairwell to basement.

If we were in the market for an RV or had one the list above would be different.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Got a good quote from a local guy, but I'm on the fence about dumping that amount of money into this house when I'd like to move in IN in the next year or two.
I get you. Mine was a big pill to swallow but I know I'm gonna get more than 2 years out of it.

You can come by and check out mine if you like. Palos isn't that far....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info