• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Anyone ever replace power steering gear box?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I bet even if it does come apart you'll find this, this is my arm off my box.
Screenshot_20210901-154934_Photos.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
And this is the case. I broke 2 different pitman arm pullers that I rented. That MFer will not fucking budge.
Issue now, is that I cant find a pitman arm anywhere, can find idler arms but no pitman arms.

Anyone know a place I can check locally or online for a 1971 Impala Pitman Arm
I'm assuming being its not a wear and tear type of item is whats making it hard to find
I can't find a arm anywhere.. Damn

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So once that remover is tight. Whack the end with a hammer.
Dude, Ive been beating the piss out of the puller bolt with a 5lb sledge while under tension
Ive also beat the pitman arm all over with the sledge and not a single movement on the gear box side.
Can you remove the gearbox with the pitman arm still on it? Then throw it in a hydraulic press?
Yes, but dont know anyone with a press. So that is my last option.
Prefer to leave the gearbox on so I can drive the car to a shop if need be.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I bet even if it does come apart you'll find this, this is my arm off my box. View attachment 98789
With nothing gone right on this car, that is 100% expected.
I can't find a arm anywhere.. Damn
I spent a hour searching online. If I could find one, I would cut the fucker off with my grinder.
But once I do that, its going to be useless.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I had an 08 Infinti G35xS Sedan for a few years, bought it used with 80k on it and paid good $$$ for an extended warranty. At the end of my ownership and still within the warranty period, I had 5-6 trips to the local Infiniti dealership for the power steering. They replaced/rebuilt the unit 3-4 times and in the last 4 months I owned that car, I was in a nice few different QX series SUV's for more than I was in my old G sedan. Not sure what the issue was, but as soon as it was fixed the last time I traded it in for my Jetta GLI that I had and haven't looked back!

So he should trade it in for a VW?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
And I gave up for the night. New one not lining up correctly. Tried putting the old one back to see if I had same issue and I did. So it’s not the part, it’s me. I think just the frustration of battling with that pitman arm all day fucked my head up lol. As I was cleaning up I noticed the drivers wheel was straight and passenger wheel was turned. I’m betting that’s what was causing the issue. Tackle it again tomorrow with a clear head.

Reactions: FESTER665 and Jon01

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Steering boxes blow dude. I'm glad you were able to get it apart, that's one of the worst parts of the job.
You might try separating the pitman arm from the center link, then you're not fighting with the box trying to get all that shit lined up.
Pro tip - don't put ATF in your power steering system, it'll make that shit leak like a fucking sieve.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Steering boxes blow dude. I'm glad you were able to get it apart, that's one of the worst parts of the job.
You might try separating the pitman arm from the center link, then you're not fighting with the box trying to get all that shit lined up.
Pro tip - don't put ATF in your power steering system, it'll make that shit leak like a fucking sieve.
Took the pitman arm of the center link as it kept getting in the way.

• Love
Reactions: Jon01
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info