• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Anyone ever replace power steering gear box?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Decided not to fuck with it today. Was working till almost noon, then had to run a bunch of errands. Too late in the day to go out to the garage and fuck with it.
Will tackle this tomorrow as I should be home early.

Do have a question though regarding draining the whole system of PS fluid. Couldnt I make sure the reservoir is full and stays full. Start the car, put both high pressure and low pressure hoses in a milk jug or similar. Have someone slowly turn the wheel back and forth while I keep pouring fluid in the reservoir?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
It doesn't matter just like the oil pan... crap settles out into the reservoir.... and gets stirred up. You'd be better off to just drain it... but then do drain and fills a couple of times.
You will probably not be able to add fluid fast enough even at a low speed idle.

ATF has far more detergents than power steering fluid to be able to clean it out.... but it has far less lubricity which is what the pump requires. So you would want to mix 50/50.... that's a lot of work instead of just draining it filling it with fresh power steering fluid and then draining it a day later.

I know it's a cunt pulling those early Saginaw power steering pumps to be able to drain them....
If you're looking to try to get as much crap out as possible get a turkey injector syringe and shove the hose into the reservoir and basically swish the fluid around inside of it to try to stir up the crap on the bottom and then drain the syringe/ crap, refill and go back to pumping the syringe/stirring up crap....rinse repeat etc.

Make sure you only ever spend the pump opposite of normal rotation to make sure you don't draw in any of the garbage you're stirring up while you do this binge-purge s***

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
BOOM, started with a clear head and reassembled in a hour. Fought with the pitman arm for a few minutes. Lunch break, then I’ll drain the whole system. Attach lines and see how she works

13F31E32-98FD-415F-92F4-703826D279D8.jpeg

E2E95D80-5A33-416A-8D4F-6F6C0CD92D4E.jpeg

D613B5AA-30FC-46E8-B250-B813A5C0BC07.jpeg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
It doesn't matter just like the oil pan... crap settles out into the reservoir.... and gets stirred up. You'd be better off to just drain it... but then do drain and fills a couple of times.
You will probably not be able to add fluid fast enough even at a low speed idle.

ATF has far more detergents than power steering fluid to be able to clean it out.... but it has far less lubricity which is what the pump requires. So you would want to mix 50/50.... that's a lot of work instead of just draining it filling it with fresh power steering fluid and then draining it a day later.

I know it's a **** pulling those early Saginaw power steering pumps to be able to drain them....
If you're looking to try to get as much crap out as possible get a turkey injector syringe and shove the hose into the reservoir and basically swish the fluid around inside of it to try to stir up the crap on the bottom and then drain the syringe/ crap, refill and go back to pumping the syringe/stirring up crap....rinse repeat etc.

Make sure you only ever spend the pump opposite of normal rotation to make sure you don't draw in any of the garbage you're stirring up while you do this binge-purge s***
God Damn what a difference in steering wheel slop. I thought my shit had that much slop because it was a car from the 70's.
I cant believe the difference in the steering now.

Do I need to get an alignment now? Steering wheel is very slightly pulling left and didnt do that before. Not sure if I fucked something up or its an alignment issue?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info