• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Anyone ever replace power steering gear box?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
The power steering gear box on my 71 is leaking power steering fluid. Couldn't source the part locally so I ordered that and a new steering coupler. Should have the parts Thursday or Friday.
Never replaced one but looking at it last night, it looks pretty straight forward. 4 bolts holding it to the frame, remove pitman arm, 2 lines and the steering coupler has 2 or 3 bolts. Assuming I will need to rent a pitman arm puller, anything else I should be aware of or any tricks/tips that I should know. I read something about getting it centered which doesnt look to difficult.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Put a new one in my f350. The job wasn't bad, but the pitman arm was near impossible to get off. Also, tightening the nut to 450ft lbs was impossible for me.

I jacked the front end up and did a bunch of lock to lock steering to try and bleed out some of the air. Then I let it sit overnight and did it all again before starting it.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Unfortunately, a good box is expensive.

For bleeding, yeah, put the front end in the air.
Rotate the wheels lock to lock several times. This moves fluid through the system. Add fluid every time it gets low.
Start Car, move lock to lock several times while car is still in the air.
Have someone watch the fluid level in the reservoir closely and be prepared to add fluid FAST. If the system is empty enough, it will drain in a heart beat, possibly damaging pump if it goes dry.

Typically I over fill the system while doing it since it will suck fluid down anyways. Then I suck out the excess till it sits at full.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Yeah basically unless you spend some money for a high-quality Red Top Gear Box be prepared for replacing it again soon so I'd say antiseize the bolts.
... also make sure you clean the splines on the inside of the pitman arm
Yeah, prices were around $180-$200 or $800ish. I went with the remanufactured lol.
Car isnt a daily so hoping it will last me a couple of years.
What do you recommend I clean the splines with?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Unfortunately, a good box is expensive.

For bleeding, yeah, put the front end in the air.
Rotate the wheels lock to lock several times. This moves fluid through the system. Add fluid every time it gets low.
Start Car, move lock to lock several times while car is still in the air.
Have someone watch the fluid level in the reservoir closely and be prepared to add fluid FAST. If the system is empty enough, it will drain in a heart beat, possibly damaging pump if it goes dry.

Typically I over fill the system while doing it since it will suck fluid down anyways. Then I suck out the excess till it sits at full.
I'm planning on draining the whole system while I'm replacing the gear box. Might as well being I'm disconnecting the lines.
Question is whats the best way to drain the whole system?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Good stiff wire brush and maybe some evapo-rust from Harbor Freight if the rust scale is bad.

Fastest would probably be ta very lightly sand blast it

The early teardrop Reservoir saginaw pumps you pretty much have to pull the pump off to be able to dump all the old fluid out. Second generation Saginaw pumps will drain the reservoir.... put a wire brush wheel in your drill and use it to spin the pulley with the lines disconnected and you'll pretty much all of it out

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
You can replace with a fast ratio box if you so desire, there are a few out there. I don't know if they did one for a B-body of that year, but most of them should work I believe.

My original Astro had a variable ratio box, I'm tempted AF to put that in the 92 due to liking the feel better even with the slower ratio. Regardless I'd choosee one of the above two if you don't have them over the stocker in all probability. Either is likely a better choice unless you're into that "drive on a cloud" feel.

I will whine like a little girl about these it's something I pay someone else to do because my left shoulder's fucked up and a couple of steering gears I did are a good part of why. Figure out a way to hold it up while you bolt it in if plausible such as an engine hoist or a ratchet strap. IME they're heavy and awkward to get in. Obv if you have lift access all the better.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I'd order a pitman arm.

I know on trucks they never come off.

When I did my red head I tried taking the arm off and it was basically friction welded on.
And this is the case. I broke 2 different pitman arm pullers that I rented. That MFer will not fucking budge.
Issue now, is that I cant find a pitman arm anywhere, can find idler arms but no pitman arms.

Anyone know a place I can check locally or online for a 1971 Impala Pitman Arm
I'm assuming being its not a wear and tear type of item is whats making it hard to find

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Know anyone with a hydraulic press? That's where my money is getting a pitman arm off, well that and getting that bitch nice and hot with a rosebud or similar.
No I dont, I shot Carl@Redline Carl@Redline a text asking him for some help. Like everything on this car since I bought it. The simplest fucking job becomes a nightmare.
I shoulda been able to replace the gear box in 90 minutes on my back using jack stands, but nope gotta run into an issue lol.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I had an 08 Infinti G35xS Sedan for a few years, bought it used with 80k on it and paid good $$$ for an extended warranty. At the end of my ownership and still within the warranty period, I had 5-6 trips to the local Infiniti dealership for the power steering. They replaced/rebuilt the unit 3-4 times and in the last 4 months I owned that car, I was in a nice few different QX series SUV's for more than I was in my old G sedan. Not sure what the issue was, but as soon as it was fixed the last time I traded it in for my Jetta GLI that I had and haven't looked back!

• Wow
Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Pics

5E1A8B6A-B6B5-43E0-AA7B-8D98C04AD267.jpeg

5D045A5D-D794-42DA-8311-5D7855D7F8C0.jpeg

08CEC01F-82BA-4584-A26D-B0481EA15490.jpeg

BA6C5648-BD00-4AEB-BCD9-4491D372EDC2.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info