Anyone ever replace a BMW battery(e60)?

b00sted

He's Still Your President
Reaction score
I've been reading around on a few forums, which is a joke because most of those guys don't know their ass from their elbow. But the one thing they keep talking about is registering the battery and reprogramming the computer or some shit due to the way the charging system works. I have no intention of doing that.

They also talk about not letting the iDrive system go without power. My car is already dead, so I'm beyond that point. Is it going to throw a bunch of errors or anything?

MS3Josh

Reaction score
When you replace the battery, you need to reprogram the car to the new battery. It is also advised to replace the OE AGM battery with another AGM. The shop i work at deals with a ton of European cars, and had had a few bmws towed in with a no start condition, and a few with overcharging issues after the owner's tried replacing the battery and not having it reprogrammed.
What year is your car?

MS3Josh

Reaction score
I could see that cable being very important of you own a BMW and want to work on it at all.
As far as the I Drive system, I have had a couple come in with no power and have not had any issues with them after getting them up and running again.

b00sted

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the info. I'm going to order the cable and then make sure I do whatever's necessary after installing the battery.

It does seem nice to have(and the popular cables are around $20)...Just to be able to read errors properly, etc.

What a pain in the ass though. I'm buying another Honda or something next time. ;)

MS3Josh

Reaction score
I'll agree with you on the pain in the ass part. After working on European cars for a few months now, I definitely won't be buying one any time soon, the smallest things cause the biggest issues. Such as a simple battery replacement.
Does your bmw have the 4.4 v8?

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Reaction score
I had an E90 with the same type of battery - Got a replacement from Autozone (instead of the 250 dollar batter BMW wanted) and then had an independent shop that does work on imports do the register for me. Had it done while getting an oil change one time.

It's not "needed" per say, but it's one of those better safe than sorry things. When you re-register the battery the car knows it's new and utilizes it a bit differently for power consumption compared to when the battery has been used for 4 years or what have you. Just make sure to replace it with the same type as someone said here before. You can't do a non- AGM to an AGM and vice versa or you have to reprogram the car.

b00sted

Reaction score
Just pulled the old battery. It was the smaller, incorrectly-sized one that Autozone, etc always tells people to buy. I went to interstate and got the proper sized one and I'm going to disable the Intelligent Battery System. It seems to be a common fix that a bunch of people have had success doing, so I'll give it a shot.

I'm definitely getting rid of this thing and buying a newer Civic or something. It's getting to the point now where there's always some sensor or device throwing an error...I don't want to deal with it any more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom