anyone at autobahn tomorrow 7/13?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
That particular one was WMHM (West Michigan Honda Meet) which I do every year, big event but sells out much before it ever goes public. Otherwise I run any group that gets us up there, it's such a wide open track, you can drive like an absolute asshole and not have to ever worry about going off and crashing. Gingerman also has test and tune nights for like 3-4hrs where the track is just hot the entire time, that's kinda cool. Lots of different types of traffic to battle with for a few hours.

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
Give me some more advance notice for a monday at autobahn and I will be there. I have a bunch of PTO to burn and finally have childcare sorted out. Just got my pads in for the mazda3 so she is good to go.

I’ll be back there on august 3rd. That’s with mvp track time. If you register let me know!

Reactions: Intel

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
giphy.gif

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i drove on backing plates into the rears before, everything about that was pretty fucked and gross.

separate rotors seems like a pain, i run the same pads street and track. although with a heavy boi maybe your pads are not ones you can street on, mine say not to but they are tolerable enough, not like dangerous. did have some that were track only/kinda dangerous to street on a miata my brother and i bought, we swapped those out after a week, definitely sketchy bois when full out track pads.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
My day was cut short. Crushed my brake pads in just three sessions. Was down to the rotor driving home. I need to invest in separate rotors and pads just for the track.
Hoooly shit. What kind of lap times? Is this in the charger in your avatar?

I can't imagine going through pads that fast

Phalabala

Regular
Aug 18, 2015
Inverness
I was there yesterday but my day was also cut short... Electrical gremlins after the I/H/E/tune. During the warm-up lap the driver information display would light up with warnings from just about everything immediately after the first turn. Stabilitrack, rear-axle, abs, and power steering. The gremlins would also cause the car to disable the PTM mode I had selected. After the second session I called it a day, chatted with folks for a bit and then went home at like 1. :(

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Brake pads outside of their heat zone just crumble. I destroyed a set in 2 days at blackhawk because I had no cooling ducts.
It's crazy to me because my pads on the bike last 5-6 track days. Yeah my bike is small, but so are the pads, and I'm slowing from speeds much faster than what mid-level production cars can achieve. I also only use the fronts

That sucks. Further reinforces that, when I get a fun car like a zl1, I'm not tracking it more than once a year lol

Bikes ftw

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
It's crazy to me because my pads on the bike last 5-6 track days. Yeah my bike is small, but so are the pads, and I'm slowing from speeds much faster than what mid-level production cars can achieve. I also only use the fronts

That sucks. Further reinforces that, when I get a fun car like a zl1, I'm not tracking it more than once a year lol

Bikes ftw
Have to remember your brakes are getting airflow all the time. Without brake ducts most cars don't habe enough cooling airflow unless they are lightweight.

We ran ducts, mazdaspeed3 brakes (much larger) and hawk blues on our 2400lb lemons car for close to 12 hours of track time and still have another event to go on them.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
the charger actually has brake ducting built in. I’m putting some meaty powerstop track pads on for next time.
the Mopar pads I ran the first track day actually did ok.
There is one other guy running a black charger out there and he is pushing hard. He is running with this set up and said he’s done three track days with them. Some brake fade at the end of the session but 30 min of hard pushing in a 4500 lb car that is to be expected I would think.

Power Stop PST-1053 Track Day Brake Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CFL937M/?tag=tcg21-20

Power Stop TDBK4695 Track Day Front Brake Kit- Brake Rotors and Brake Pads https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077ZGZZS9/?tag=tcg21-20

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info