đź”– Deals anybody wanna visit cuba? $332 on AA

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The Flight Deal | American – $332: Dallas / Chicago – Havana, Cuba. Roundtrip, including all Taxes

site says limited availability. ita matrix looking pretty good for august though, where i haven't signed up for any track days yet either...

XrSY6UH.png

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Doesn't seem like airfare should be too bad, considering it's not that far from the Keys.

this is true it is pretty close. other costs too in that
- you may be spot checked for some type of travel insurance, which seems unlikely, and your CC may provide that you purchased the tix with
- a visa is necessary ($50)
- you still need to meet one of the 12 qualifications per US policy (although i don't think anyone checks, a buddy and i will have enough gear we could try to claim journalism but some others might be easier? i expect no one to ask)

other pain points are simply things like availability of funds/banking, internet, etc.

Have you made any plans on what to do when you're there? I REALLY want to go but may wait a few years for it to modernize a bit (meaning: when Marriott opens their first hotel)

airbnb seems to be a boon for the locals. right now we have 3 people, i'll see if my bro wants to go when he gets home. nice having the pricing power of multiple people on airbnb (or anywhere really.) you can see a search of some sample places and locations below:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Havana--Cu...s[]=Entire home/apt&source=hdr&s_tag=H6TaqosH

i did a week, both cuz friends are going plus the internet blows. so i'm not bringing my work laptop. the only reason i'll bring my regular laptop is if i think i need it to move video off my video camera ssd.

i think there's a cool outdoor karting place there? and we'll be looking to drop in on any car meets or gatherings we can for sure. lots of cool old buildings and museums there for sure. starting tue we should be able to get out bearings and hopefully figure out some cool solid things to do by the weekend. really looking forward to checking it out!

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
1. As an American, you can go to Cuba only if your visit falls under one of 12 government-approved categories.

So no, you still can't go to Cuba just to lounge on the beach, as vacation and leisure travel are still not allowed. But it's certainly a lot easier to go than it was before, when Americans had to get pre-approval from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control to visit the country.

All you have to do is be sure that your visit falls under one of the*12 government-approved categories, such as family visits, journalism, professional research, and support for the Cuban people, to name a few.

Also, as of this month, Americans can now plan their own "people-to-people" trips, which basically means that you can now make your own schedule to spend time with Cuban people (whereas you had to do it through a group before). If you go on one of these trips, you are expected to have a full-time schedule of your activities.

:dunno:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
yeah. i don't think anyone will ask. i have a travel blog so i'll pretend we can get away with that. my buddy will have a lot of camera gear and i'll have a pretty real deal looking vid cam. there is a real government defined definition of that category (and all of them) that we wouldn't actually meet though.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
my brother pointed out the southwest deal was even better really. and since i don't do anything with them ever, and am AA rich and don't need more of those miles, i ended up canceling and switching us over to flying out of midway to cuba on southwest. little more painful itinerary though (extra stop on the way home.)

with southwest from midway it's as cheap as < 15k miles and $75.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info