3800 Anybody know how to port the exhaust manifolds???

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Well, if I were to do it again I would have done it a little differently, but...
You can gasket match the manifold side, but it's going to have a very significant restriction because of the length of the short turn radius (which is just how it is) there isn't enough material there to port out on the floor to get it to flow well. However, if you make a d-port; whereas the floor is flat, and the roof is rounded, you will improve the flow on the long turn radius, and improve overall flow. The front manifold is cast, and easy to cut with a sandpaper roll, but the back manifold is welded tube, and is a whole other story. Your best bet is to go to ZZP's website and pick some clues off of what they do. You can also add material to the front header by welding on it. But you may have issues finding someone to weld it. I added some to mine with a home mig welder, so I know it can be done. Pic:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
It was an easy job, though time consuming. I hogged them out as much as you can without having to add extra metal. Gasket matching is the way to go and after that just make sure the bends are smooth. Any rough edges are going to increase turbulence and lower velocity.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info