Any TCG Members in the Local 150?

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
I'll be the first to recommend HVAC. I spent a year in trade school going at night, a career going at 19. It's a great skill set to have as you need to know a bit of everything. Side work is extremely easy to come by and I know you love that. Many different directions you can take your career as well in this field.

i second that…. its funny cause first job operator 2nd job/winter months hvac!!!

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'm just saying people do think this way and it angers me, but cool the trades season isn't that far from starting and there always is dudes looking for dudes that are machinery inclined..

Haha, I hear ya. To me a skid steer isn't even a heavy machine, but, it's what most 150 guys don't want to do, so, I figured if I sign up saying "hey, I'll run this thing even though it's like riding a mechanical bull, I'm game" I want to get more experience running machines. Even if it was just helping out here and there, if I could become proficient on a few I feel that would go a long way.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I was a conductor for a bit and am in training to be a locomotive engineer right now. I don't know if that floats your boat or who even runs up by you but I like it a lot. Pay is good, benefits are good and the schedule isn't terrible as long as you ration your days off a bit.

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
And I'll look into HVAC certs. I know CLC does them up by me. I was there for my business management program, but, I like working with my hands. I feel like I'm wasting away sitting at a desk.

my brain would implode if i sat at a desk all day.. the hvac scene is huge, many directions to go there. I do Inferred Heating which is crazy awesome and is picking up in popularity so i personally would check that out..

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I was a conductor for a bit and am in training to be a locomotive engineer right now. I don't know if that floats your boat or who even runs up by you but I like it a lot. Pay is good, benefits are good and the schedule isn't terrible as long as you ration your days off a bit.

I always considered doing something in the locomotive industry. I actually live right next to the old EJ&E line, I believe it's owned by CN now.

How does that work as far as distance? Are you home every night, etc? How do the days off work? I'm not planning on taking many vacation days once I land a good job.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'm always looking for something interesting, something that involves travel, etc... My goal is to be in a position where I can transfer in 15 years up to northern wisconsin. Yes, I know the pay scale will not be anything close to here, but, I want to move up north. I've even considered spending some time in Alaska.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
my brain would implode if i sat at a desk all day.. the hvac scene is huge, many directions to go there. I do Inferred Heating which is crazy awesome and is picking up in popularity so i personally would check that out..

I've actually gone more the direction of sitting at desk :bowrofl: I do love working with my hands, but I'm leaning toward making my career something I can sustain without trashing my body by the time I'm 40. I've pretty much been a stationary engineer for the last 5 years and have really enjoyed it. Still wrench about half the day, the other half is drinking coffee and technical work at a computer. it's a good balance.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I'm always looking for something interesting, something that involves travel, etc... My goal is to be in a position where I can transfer in 15 years up to northern wisconsin. Yes, I know the pay scale will not be anything close to here, but, I want to move up north. I've even considered spending some time in Alaska.

I know nothing about it, but maybe look into becoming a technician for those big ass windmills or a tower climber. that stuff is pretty common in a lot of areas in the country, but not enough that I think it would command a permanently stationary position. You'd be traveling all over for work.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I always considered doing something in the locomotive industry. I actually live right next to the old EJ&E line, I believe it's owned by CN now.

How does that work as far as distance? Are you home every night, etc? How do the days off work? I'm not planning on taking many vacation days once I land a good job.

It really depends. Per federal law you can't perform service more than 12 hours, followed by 10 hours undisturbed rest. The main run I make is about 135 miles, I stay in a hotel then come home 12 hours later if it's a good day. Another pool runs almost 300 miles to Lacrosse, Wisconsin. There's other jobs though that go home after working locally. Once I'm out of class I'll be on an extra board that somedays I'll just run stuff from around aurora into Chicago then go home, and some days I'll go out of town. I get to "lay off" 5 week days and 2 weekend days a month. There are regularly assigned jobs with a schedule that go out and deliver to industries that ill probably be able to hold in about 20 years :rofl:. Other jobs never leave home and just switch cars around in the yard. There's other ways to play it too. If you work six in a row you get 2 days off by law. CN is a pretty good (if not the best, it's them or UP) paying deal.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
It really depends. Per federal law you can't perform service more than 12 hours, followed by 10 hours undisturbed rest. The main run I make is about 135 miles, I stay in a hotel then come home 12 hours later if it's a good day. Another pool runs almost 300 miles to Lacrosse, Wisconsin. There's other jobs though that go home after working locally. Once I'm out of class I'll be on an extra board that somedays I'll just run stuff from around aurora into Chicago then go home, and some days I'll go out of town. I get to "lay off" 5 week days and 2 weekend days a month. There are regularly assigned jobs with a schedule that go out and deliver to industries that ill probably be able to hold in about 20 years :rofl:. Other jobs never leave home and just switch cars around in the yard. There's other ways to play it too. If you work six in a row you get 2 days off by law. CN is a pretty good (if not the best, it's them or UP) paying deal.

That interests me. I just wasn't sure how that worked as far as being away, which, I would prefer. I didn't know if there was any such thing as an "over the rail" engineer where you were gone for a week or so at a time.

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
I've actually gone more the direction of sitting at desk :bowrofl: I do love working with my hands, but I'm leaning toward making my career something I can sustain without trashing my body by the time I'm 40. I've pretty much been a stationary engineer for the last 5 years and have really enjoyed it. Still wrench about half the day, the other half is drinking coffee and technical work at a computer. it's a good balance.

this is why u need to become a Foreman and then get to delegate all day while sitting in my office chair aka whatever machine I'm in that day:mamoru:

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
I just got Donnie to apply to a joint down by me and it sounded like he rocked the test the other day

:x::bigok:

[MENTION=4687]Donnie[/MENTION] what's on the test bro, I haven't taken it in like 10 years I doubt it's still the same

First section is mechanical aptitude. If weight X is placed at point B, which fulcrum will provide the greatest mechanical advantage. If Gear A turns Counter-Clockwise, which interconnected gears will turn Clockwise. If Weight A is equal to Weight B, which person lifting said weights via pulleys will do so with the least expenditure of effort. If Barrel A contains fluid Y and barrel B, the same exact size, Contains fluid Z, which weighs more. Etc. Etc.

Second section is advanced Mechanical Aptitude and Engineering concepts, Reading Comprehension and basic Mathematics.

Third and Longest test is essentially a law enforcement style Psychological examination.

If the shit comes as naturally to you as it does to me, you'll do well. They're currently hiring 10-15 by May, with more after as corporate approval occurs.

And yes, I already told Brett if this happens, he's getting a round on me as well as naming rights to my first born. :rofl:

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
I just got Donnie to apply to a joint down by me and it sounded like he rocked the test the other day, lyondell is right next to the plant I work at and starting pay is around 30 bucks an hour, my wife worked at Exxon Mobil within 6 months she was at 33 an hour, you work shift at those jobs so night shift 7 times a month and day shift 7 times a month and 15-16 days a month off

How many hours per shift?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
:x::bigok:

First section is mechanical aptitude. If weight X is placed at point B, which fulcrum will provide the greatest mechanical advantage. If Gear A turns Counter-Clockwise, which interconnected gears will turn Clockwise. If Weight A is equal to Weight B, which person lifting said weights via pulleys will do so with the least expenditure of effort. If Barrel A contains fluid Y and barrel B, the same exact size, Contains fluid Z, which weighs more. Etc. Etc.

Second section is advanced Mechanical Aptitude and Engineering concepts, Reading Comprehension and basic Mathematics.

Third and Longest test is essentially a law enforcement style Psychological examination.

If the shit comes as naturally to you as it does to me, you'll do well. They're currently hiring 10-15 by May, with more after as corporate approval occurs.

And yes, I already told Brett if this happens, he's getting a round on me as well as naming rights to my first born. :rofl:

I think I could handle that. Lol. Maybe I'll find a few mechanical aptitude tests online to get a basic idea of what they test on.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
I think I could handle that. Lol. Maybe I'll find a few mechanical aptitude tests online to get a basic idea of what they test on.

Do you know how a transmission or Differential work? How the Pulleys on a serpentine accessory drive go? How a crane works? Why you use a 40" Breaker Bar in lieu of a 10" Ratchet? If so, you'll do well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info