Any Sprinter, Ram Pro Master or Transit owners?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Not sure what to call those types of cargo vans. But we are going to finally bite the bullet and purchase one of those types of cargo vans. Budget is up to $25k and can be new or used. Any real world experience in those types of vans, pros and cons? Will be typically used for our smaller deliveries or just hauling equipment to and from jobs. No need for shelving or any of that shit.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
we have a sprinter and it serves us well. always fires, always goes, one of the more reliable vehicles we have.

just use good oil, good fuel, make sure the DEF is filled correctly and it works well for us, gets good mileage and has a fuck ton of space inside of it.

i think ours is a 2013.

you'll be hard to get anything you "want" new at 25k.

Reactions: Jon01 and Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
we have a sprinter and it serves us well. always fires, always goes, one of the more reliable vehicles we have.

just use good oil, good fuel, make sure the DEF is filled correctly and it works well for us, gets good mileage and has a fuck ton of space inside of it.

i think ours is a 2013.

you'll be hard to get anything you "want" new at 25k.
My buddy who is a wrench pretty much said the same. His Dad has one and just turned 100k and been problem free. I’ve heard from others to stay away from Sprinters lol.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yaj Yak Yaj Yak
I seen you mention DEF, so I'm assuming you guys have a diesel?

the sprinter, yeah.

gas sprinters just recently came out, i would get one though, the metris has the same engine and doesn't feel underpowered.

the transit's we have are gas powered and are pretty trouble free except some weird random shit

Reactions: Shawn1112

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I have some familiarity and experience with the Promaster 3.0 I-4 diesel engine. It has a small oil pan, so staying on top of oil changes is a must. I wouldn't exceed 10,000 miles on an oil change. Like most engines, they consume a little bit of oil. If you stretch to the recommended 18,500 interval without checking oil level periodically, you're asking for trouble.

Otherwise it's a good engine. I haven't driven enough vans in this class to compare ride or driveability.

The Promaster and it's diesel engine are carryover from Fiat. Do some research on the Fiat Ducato. I'm sure there is more info available on the Ducato than the Promaster since it's a relatively new product for FCA over here.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Well my partner and I have decided to go new/newer, well up our budget to $40k. Going to look at 2 of them tomorrow
1st link is 2019 used but only 800 miles, has the bigger engine and taller roof. Roof not that big of a deal, but would prefer the bigger engine.

2nd also a 19 but brand new, smaller engine though.

Now I have never bought a vehicle for cash in this amount. How much wiggle room do dealers usually give when buying with cash?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Well my partner and I have decided to go new/newer, well up our budget to $40k. Going to look at 2 of them tomorrow
1st link is 2019 used but only 800 miles, has the bigger engine and taller roof. Roof not that big of a deal, but would prefer the bigger engine.

2nd also a 19 but brand new, smaller engine though.

Now I have never bought a vehicle for cash in this amount. How much wiggle room do dealers usually give when buying with cash?

Not much different than financed.

Mainly because it doesn't matter to them and typically they are making more money from a financed vehicle.

Just do the typical shit... Buying cash here's what I want otd, want it? No? K bye

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Would t it be better to see if they have any finance offers at the moment? If you finance them can’t you write them off and take advantage for taxes and then keep the extra cash in the bank?
Per my partner who sat down with our accountant today. If its not 0%, then for us it makes sense to just pay cash and be done with it. We will still be able to use as a write off. Couple different options on that and I trust our accountant will do whats best for us when that time comes.
With us getting $74k or $78k payroll protection loan that we have used 100% on payroll so turns in to a grant. We have some extra cash laying around, that allows us to make this purchase.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
And we bought a CPO 19 Sprinter. Fairly easy negotiating process imo. I stopped in at 10:30am, the one I was interested in sold yesterday afternoon. It only had 800 miles on it but for some reason it wasnt a CPO and the salesman didnt know why. So anyway I looked at a couple new and told him they were out of our price range, then he said he had some CPO's that he can wheel and deal on. All of their CPO's are loaner vehicles. He said they try to pull them out of the loaner program prior to 10k miles and then try and certify as CPO's. So he started at $39.9k, by noon I had him down to $36.5 plus TTL. Called my partner, told him were I had him and had a pretty good feeling I can squeeze him for a little more. I emailed the salesman 2 hours later told him while I was with him, my partner was out driving Transits and Promasters. Told him neither of those were diesel and although we prefer diesel its not a deal breaker. Then said he was in the neighborhood as the other 2 but higher than both. Told him we are making a decision prior to 5pm, can you sharpen your pencil one more time and give me your best OTD price. He came back $1204.50 lower ($39,419.88 OTD). Let him hang for a while as he told me he leaves at 6pm. Called him at 5:55pm to tell him we will take it lol.

They are offering 0% for up to 60 months. So we are going to put $20k down and take them up on the 0% for the other $20k. Its a 2019 as mentioned above, 9500 miles on it and super fucking clean. Back up camera, heated mirrors, electronic folding mirrors, blind spot assist, lane assist, and comfort 2 package. Any time we ever take it in for service, we get a free loaner. Doesnt matter if ours is down for 2 days or 2 months we get a loaner for the time period

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Picked up our Sprinter today. Drove it home instead of back to my whse. Wanted to see how it drove on expressway. Must have a governor set at 91mph. Other than that it’s a very nice ride imo.

0AFD3FA8-D30F-4C38-B27A-18664A15CD7D.jpeg

59B8E35C-6BF2-4760-8364-4343C52361D1.jpeg

484DEA02-E292-4A20-9A9F-BB3FE05E216A.jpeg

E6C4ACF3-64E5-4272-BD70-F014FC715F3D.jpeg

E3251EC3-5AA2-4DF0-95D0-38EA9D6D74B3.jpeg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yaj Yak Yaj Yak
Did you guys put any accessories on your Sprinters? Just curious if so, what did you add, where did you buy and thoughts on what you added?
I'm thinking a ramp might be best for us.

I think a bulkhead is basically necessary to protect the driver and passenger, we also need ladders so we have an alurack rack which is super nice but likely unnecessary for you

Bulkhead is super easy to install. Typically predrilled

We don't have anything that heavy so no ramps.

We get most of our van stuff from these guys:

https://industrialladder.com/

They are local, price match, and deliver with their own drivers & trucks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info