any of yall fitbit - fitbit review

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i've had a couple fitbits in the past, sporadically worn. the 2nd i wore when i traveled but not when i was home. it went bust then i wore nothing, but since i recently did some bets and challenges for myself, i picked one up. largely because instead of a weight losing bet, one was a step bet. had to do 600,000 steps in 60 days to win it, bet $60 on it. not sure how much i will win (it depends on how many other people hit goal) - it's not over until the 15th, although i already am past the goal despite forgetting to wear it a few days. it actually shows me as 12th (individual team) of 110 teams, as a % of achieving goal. i'm 5th by number of steps. $5,940 in the pot, we'll see how much i can win.

anyway the one i picked up is the inspire hr. not the latest series but cheaper and i'm happy with the result. $100. what i'm surprised about is that the prior model i had used counted floors, and this one does not. maybe they made that less of a thing.

i have it set to auto detect steps and did a count one day to 1000 and it was very close. so i am impressed with the step detection. it works well for daily life. where i've had a problem with it is driving. the brz is track prepped and the stiff suspension appears to lead to it counting steps. i think my wrx will do it too, but only if i'm doing something like resting my arm on the window.

the battery life is pretty good, i maybe charge it once a week? it's not an annoying or obtrusive amount. i like the hr because it provides heart rate, which none of my prior fitbits had. it doesn't have to be super tight on the wrist to do this or anything it appears, as mine seems to be working well and is just comfortably worn. it is a common enough device now that the fitbit app itself is nicely built in with the diet/challenge apps i'm doing as well.

i spend most of the time in the city now, although still selling my house back home. this leads to a lot more walking. the fitbit is really good because it didn't change the fact that i'm a lazy piece of shit about going to the gym; but it did give me this simple goal of 10k daily steps which the 60 day challenge is giving me as well. i can walk to work, don't cook much so walk to eat, and occasionally just add some kind of stroll in and the 10k is easy to hit. i actually walk and explore a lot in a city situation so this has been easy to do. i'm staying in streeterville by navy pier and one of the things i'll do is something like say hey, i'll go out for a chicago hot dog now, but i will only buy one from the stand right by the shedd aquarium.

if you have a fitbit too and want to add my account by email it is [email protected]. none of my friends are giving me much competition at the moment.

OzoG8GG.png

here's my 30 day steps, although i forgot it in the city charging one time when i went to work then went home for the weekend.

rTIYc32.png

it tries to detect your activity by heartweight and gait, i think. i actually did sign up for a gym, that also has a marketing challenge thing. although it's gotten me off my ass enough to actually go to the gym and try theirs out and the challenge. i've only gone twice, and i've gone to high intensity cardio/strength mix sessions. where i've tried not to pass out or puke since i'm out of shape af trying to do something that strenuous for a half hour straight. in any case the session this week started out with a 1 mile run. but imma slow boi i guess, because that appears to be when it marked me around sport instead of run. or maybe that's just because i did other stuff then besides the run.

6aQzDbA.png

clicking into the details of it, i feel like it's starting a bit late to have captured what went on, given that my heart rate is so high to start? you can definitely see where i took some rest periods as well. i didn't feel that jacked up so i'm actually surprised seeing my heart rate being this high on here. i'm not sure it is actually accurate there; i know the general feeling of these is they are pretty accurate for normal standing/walking around stuff, but not as accurate as a real deal (chest worn) heart rate sensor under strenuous activity.

xWS0CGV.png

my monday session looks like it actually has the walk before and walk after but not the session. i think there is some kind of manual trigger mode on the fitbit too to help delineate when these kinds of things start? i'm not sure why my workout there is missing, will see what it continues to do for the next ones.

i got no partner in bed, kids, or usually meetings let alone ones at customer sites, so there's no reason i should have a shit sleep pattern, but i do. i'm 40 now and on one hand def am a little more tired at night vs. 10 years ago, but also my life norm has been going to bed at 12-2am. i used to sleep in more/get up later, but old man-ness seems to have me waking up earlier now even though i don't need nor want to. i feel like this started at 37 or something, like waking up at 6 or 630 am without an alarm and just being like wtf? i don't need to do this shit. but never really going back to sleep. in any case there's not enough of the sleepies going on.

jVYvKR6.png

i think there's nothing but bad things that come from that, so maybe i should have a rule like i go to bed at least by midnight, since i have no control when i wake up anyway. although i think i'd be shit at following that rule. i don't have a hard problem falling asleep once i'm in bed and figure these numbers are relatively accurate.

the above were from the website, below from the app. you can explore more about the quality of that sleep as it is trying to detect (not sure by what logic exactly they do this)

vErMfSi.png

looking at a day

uUW9RRX.png

against what you "should" be having split among the sleep types

cIYL0Kv.png

my resting heart rate seems to be pretty solid even though i nearly die on these high intensity workout classes

usQRtrl.png

you can see on the today chart when i walked to work, went to lunch, out for a snack, and did a long post work walk...

on the thursday one it seems to cut and leave out some mid day. but it's pre-work/walking to work, the cut, then the gym class including my mid class rest (which is of course not part of the class).

so that's that. overall i think it is a neat tracking system and motivational device, well worth the $100 to me.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Finally a comparison thread and glad to see you have all that bio feedback.. too lazy to pull up my stats but did just knock out 9000 steps (4.5 miles) by 8am.

what is your normal daily steps on a week day vs adding extra walking?

Unfortunately I don't think I can compete using a Garmin. Went that route because of better accuracy in the health sensors. Specifically heart rate variability.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Finally a comparison thread and glad to see you have all that bio feedback.. too lazy to pull up my stats but did just knock out 9000 steps (4.5 miles) by 8am.

what is your normal daily steps on a week day vs adding extra walking?

Unfortunately I don't think I can compete using a Garmin. Went that route because of better accuracy in the health sensors. Specifically heart rate variability.

there as a guy on yt comparing this with a chest rate monitor and it was maybe 1/2 off sitting, 10 off strenuous? i figured hey, good enough for me. you might be able to compete in healthywager/stepbet challenges (they do integrate with more than fitbit) although we can't be fraaans on the fitbit dashboard or anything.

9k steps by 8am is pretty solid. is that a frequent morning for you? some days when i get up early i have wandered on walks north, one day i went from streeterville to old town to depaul and back, i forgot how many steps that was. more recently i have not been doing that though. those are usually 7k+.

just living in the city you get a ton of normal daily steps, and i usually work at the wework for an excuse to go somewhere, be more social, and escape that my sublet has an uncomfortable chair anyway. not sure of steps but wework and back is 1.8 mi on googles. round trip from my place to buckingham fountain is 3.2 (i never stop there). to shedd it's 4.8 along the lake, although i usually go down more of michigan avenue, i think more like 5.4.

living in the city this is way easier than in the burbs just driving everywhere. for steps there i would walk around my local forest preserve. which itself was good/bad but it was definitely like more of a thing to insert into the day. 189 lbs now so on track to win all monies of the $4k in bets so far i have in the other thread. this is with going to the gym twice, so my theory of just eating better and walking alone being able to get me to 180 is probably pretty sound. the gym itself i did a body fat % challenge for 6 weeks, if i win i can get my money back, but if i lose they keep it and if i win they hope they keep it as a payment into a class based plan. it is to drop 2% body fat.

before the gym one, i was generally eating ok, but they have a nutrition part (which really, i'm mostly ignoring because i'm lazy and not going to cook for one and put all this cooking effort in) - i have started recording everything i eat though. and having this challenge plus taking the effort to write things down is making me better about choosing the poke bowl vs. going to chipotle and getting the tacos and the chips and guac.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
i don't use my hr monitor to take any kind of real time actions but thought it was pretty much real time, maybe yours is defective? 20 bpm drop seems like a really long lag!

I doubt most people notice unless they use hr for workouts and know what itā€™s supposed to be and what it feels like when they hit that hr, my cousin was having the same issue, her 2 children both college age are world record holders in rowing they all work out very hard, they bought fitbits to track hr during workouts they were trying to hit 190bpm and couldnā€™t but she felt like she was every bit of 190, checked her pulse manually and was at 220bpm they returned all the watches, they are pretty good for other things but not hr monitors while exercising

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'm at like 700k steps of my 600k goal for the healthywager step bet challenge i did. it was $60 and i'm not sure how much i'll win yet (it depends on how many other people win as well.)

i went to sign up for another (mine ends in a few days, one started a few days ago) and it's giving me a crazy goal though, nearly 17.5k steps a day / 1.05 million over 60 days. note that won't result in me winning any more money (the bets are simply goal achieved or not.) if i could bet more or they'd pay more, i might consider it, but that's just fucking brutal i can't commit to that. just forgetting to wear the damn thing a couple days would be a tough hole to climb out of.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I have a friend that did some crazy ass race and got her PB at 122,560 steps in one day. Until I'm man enough to do half of that, she is my hero.

yah fuck i can't fathom that. my badge dashboard shows 7 days achieved at 25k. never hit a 30k badge.

i just googled steps in a marathon, average for a woman was calculated to be 63k. crazy ass race indeed

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It was like 50 miles, and it wasn't all flat, it was through a forest. She posted pictures and stuff. Blew my mind. My best step day to date was 42,870 a couple weeks ago and I swear all I did that day was walk. I haven't slept past 8am in 15yrs+, but the next day I woke up at like 10:30am and just took power naps the entire day. I doubt I'll ever break that record again.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I use mine (Fitbit Charge 2) mostly for tracking various exercise, typically cycling (paved trails/prairie path type stuff).

What I don't like about the app is that it doesn't give you all of the recorded info, like speed (average, max, etc) and other metrics. So what I did was sync the account to Endomondo (parent app to MapMyRide, MapMyRun, etc), which does pull in all that info, when the sync actually works. If the sync doesn't work, you can export out a .trx file from the Fitbit website and import into Endomondo's. It'll grab all kinds of metrics, including the heart rate data and the such from Fitbit. Additionally, you don't have to tell the Fitbit to specifically record activity, it (Endomondo) will just update each night. For the most part it works okay. If the Fitbit app or website displayed all the metrics it recorded I would just it exclusively.

I ignore the sleep monitoring since with either sensitivity setting it just wasn't accurate for me. I have horrible tinnitus, so I don't get much solid sleep. The app would be reporting I was in REM when I knew I was watching TV.

If I knew how to paste screen caps I'd include the stuff that the 3rd party app captures. Looking at the app it captures: Distance, Duration, Average Pace, Max Pace, Average Speed, Max Speed, Calories, Hydration, Heart Rate, Average Heart Rate, Minimum Altitude, Max Altitude, Total Ascent, Total Descent.

What does screw up my step/stair counter is if I'm wearing the watch while riding one of the motorcycles. I did a ~200 mile ride and it thought I did like 15,000 steps and 279 floors of stairs. Kind of skews the averages a bit.

If I actually did like 42,000 steps in one day I'm pretty sure my knees would just fall apart. LOL. I don't think I've done an actual amount of more than 14,000 or 15,000 in one day out hiking some trails.

When on Android I used to use SportsTrackLive (free), which was fantastic for tracking activity. Gave all kinds of break downs, like time over distance, speed over distance, etc.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
It was like 50 miles, and it wasn't all flat, it was through a forest. She posted pictures and stuff. Blew my mind. My best step day to date was 42,870 a couple weeks ago and I swear all I did that day was walk. I haven't slept past 8am in 15yrs+, but the next day I woke up at like 10:30am and just took power naps the entire day. I doubt I'll ever break that record again.

my 25s above were big chicago walking days, streeterville -> old town -> depaul -> streeterville then later in the same day going to the shedd... another day was going much further south loop exploring. there were some days in thailand and especially the philippines when i really poked around and got near 30. 42,8 though? where were you walking around? that is a heap!

I use mine (Fitbit Charge 2) mostly for tracking various exercise, typically cycling (paved trails/prairie path type stuff).

What I don't like about the app is that it doesn't give you all of the recorded info, like speed (average, max, etc) and other metrics. So what I did was sync the account to Endomondo (parent app to MapMyRide, MapMyRun, etc), which does pull in all that info, when the sync actually works. If the sync doesn't work, you can export out a .trx file from the Fitbit website and import into Endomondo's. It'll grab all kinds of metrics, including the heart rate data and the such from Fitbit. Additionally, you don't have to tell the Fitbit to specifically record activity, it (Endomondo) will just update each night. For the most part it works okay. If the Fitbit app or website displayed all the metrics it recorded I would just it exclusively.

I ignore the sleep monitoring since with either sensitivity setting it just wasn't accurate for me. I have horrible tinnitus, so I don't get much solid sleep. The app would be reporting I was in REM when I knew I was watching TV.

If I knew how to paste screen caps I'd include the stuff that the 3rd party app captures. Looking at the app it captures: Distance, Duration, Average Pace, Max Pace, Average Speed, Max Speed, Calories, Hydration, Heart Rate, Average Heart Rate, Minimum Altitude, Max Altitude, Total Ascent, Total Descent.

What does screw up my step/stair counter is if I'm wearing the watch while riding one of the motorcycles. I did a ~200 mile ride and it thought I did like 15,000 steps and 279 floors of stairs. Kind of skews the averages a bit.

If I actually did like 42,000 steps in one day I'm pretty sure my knees would just fall apart. LOL. I don't think I've done an actual amount of more than 14,000 or 15,000 in one day out hiking some trails.

When on Android I used to use SportsTrackLive (free), which was fantastic for tracking activity. Gave all kinds of break downs, like time over distance, speed over distance, etc.

so if you are cycling, does it just convert that into extra steps? i for the first time had it think i was cycling today and i think it has way over counted. i was actually mowing the lawn and weed whacking.

that is neat about the speed and all. i assume it's using the fitbit app for any gps stuff with my phone, although i'm not under the impression it's really doing anything with my phone. it would be interesting to understand if the 1 miles for x many of my steps is based simply on some step size guess or if it is actually based on the gps.

i'm with you on da knees (although i ain't biking 200 miles either) - after 25k steps i am happy to collapse into something and don't appreciate the relief fully until then. definitely don't want to crouch to do anything either!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info