Any ice fishermen here?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
I went ice fishing with a coworker this weekend at his fishing club and had a lot of fun. Debating spending $100ish to grab the gear to be able to do it on my own. Looking for a winter hobby.

Is it worth it to go out on local ponds? How often is ice thick enough to even fish on?

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
Done a lot of ice fishing back in the day up in Wisconsin. Mostly tip ups, using shiners as bait, fishing for Northern Pike. Have done small minnows for "anything that hits" too which resulted in Bass, Panfish, Walleye.

Always went on solid iced over lakes (that you can put a snow mobile or even a car on). Never went on rivers.

P40E

Reaction score
Your best item should be your vexilar. get some good tip ups. If you're going to hold the rod get a really good feeling mini ice rod and good spring bombers . If you get a shanty get some of the gas heaters and you'll be cozy.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
you're talking way out of the league I'm even thinking about. Im looking at sitting on a bucket with a couple cheap tip ups, a cheap rod/reel combo, hand auger and a six pack for a few hours.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
Reaction score
I've been doing it for 20+ years. Great times! Ponds can be very fun as the fish are more confined to a smaller space vs a Lake. We have 8-10" of ice up here in kenosha county lakes almost enough to drive on.

Don't sit on a bucket use a fold up chair your Back will thank you!

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
go find a bar on the water, set your tip ups near the bar, sit in bar, watch tip ups, run out when you got somethin', then run back in.

win.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
go find a bar on the water, set your tip ups near the bar, sit in bar, watch tip ups, run out when you got somethin', then run back in.

win.
so you're saying I should come up to the chain to Ice fish?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
doesn't sound like a terrible idea, i'd sit in the bar withya. :rofl:

stormy monday's would be an excellent place for this, their bar faces the water...

this is actually what my friends used to do in hayward

PANDA

Reaction score
Move this to the BRAAAP section.

You are going to need a sled to get you and the gear out to the spot.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Stopped in at bass pro in bolingbrook after the gym, its across the street. Ice fishing stuff was all on sale but MAJORLY picked over. Spent $54 and got a tip up, spinning rod and reel combo, tip up line, a couple rapala jigging lures, hole skimmer, some bobbers, and a pair of clip on sinkers to set the tip up depth.

need to grab a hand auger, fishing line, some jigs and a rod holder. Probably going to hold off on the auger until the weather is looking cold again. Its going to be warm for the next week or so. Really don't want to store this thing the rest of the winter if the weather never comes back around.

impulsepurchase.jpg

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
Reaction score
As far as hand augers go get the Lazer they cut way easier than all the others.

Tip ups I know they are expensive but the Beaver Dam's will last you a lifetime. Unless some idiot on a sled or quad runs it over...:noes:

P40E

Reaction score
Some little ice jigs to be used with spikes

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
ended up buying the rest of the stuff on Amazon. $135 total for everything to get set up. I've spent a lot more on a lot worse.

Thinking about going out after work on Saturday

PANDA

Reaction score
I got a good 10 inches of ice in my bay.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
anyone ever fish in there? A small pond is easier to fish out of, all the fish
are much more concentrated.

Primalzer

Reaction score
Discover New Fishing Lures: A Box Of Baits Every Month!

They've got a bunch of different boxes...basically you get a box of lures/plastics every month...I just got the bass box for 3 months to check it out...they've got a bass box, catfish box, inshore saltwater, trout, and ice fishing boxes...figure it's worth a stab to fill out my tackle with some different stuff

GIMPY

Reaction score
I went ice fishing with a coworker this weekend at his fishing club and had a lot of fun. Debating spending $100ish to grab the gear to be able to do it on my own. Looking for a winter hobby.

Is it worth it to go out on local ponds? How often is ice thick enough to even fish on?
I ice fish every chance I get.. hell I'm calling into work Friday to go since its going to be way to warm this weekend..

100 will get u a lot of stuff for ice fishing in my opinion..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom