Any golfers? Recommendations on a new driver?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'm a very casual golfer that is just getting back into swinging clubs. My current set of clubs dates back to the mid-nineties. My irons have aged decently and I feel are still not worth replacing.

My driver, not so much. It's tiny in comparison to what everyone is using these days. And I feel that the club head is about 20 swings away from flying off the shaft. I'm not looking to spend $500 on a new club, maybe $200-300. Given my frequency of play and how mediocre I am, it doesn't make sense to spend a ton of money.

What say you TCG golfers?

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
For $200-300 youre just going to look for a top of the line model from the previous year Im guessing.

Taylormade M2 2019 would fit right in your price range:

Another option is just go to a local pro shop and see whats "left over" and on sale. Usually youll find a new older model that's half the price of when they were first released.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
^i got to try this club last year. It's pretty good. I'm Taylor made bias tho. Currently have an old SLDR I can't let go of lol

Im still hitting my old ass Cobra S2 clubs, thinking ill need a new set of clubs next year though.

My buddy has one of the Taylormade mini-drivers and I hit that thing really well as well.

Might be setting up lessons soon as well. Need to get better.

BS ISF

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 24, 2012
WEST BURBS
I would do as mentioned above. Get a driver that is still new and left over from previous years for half the price.

I would go to PGA and swing a couple and if you like one you can also get a newer shaft or grip.

I bought a brand new SIM driver head off a golf FB group for $280 with tool and head cover. Then went to PGA and had a shaft and jumbo grip put on.

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Callaway
TaylorMade
Cleveland

I have a Cleveland Launcher that I love and for some reason I swing it better than my Callaway and TaylorMade drivers.

I wouldnā€™t buy new unless I wanted an exact specific new club. C-list and FB marketplace are loaded with decent clubs and you can usually get great deals on new clubs that are last years model at the golf stores.

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
Go to pga superstore and take some for a test drive. You will get to see your swing speed ect so you can get a club that meets your current skill.

For me I went with the Clevelend HB launcher 10.5 draw model. Keeps me in the fairway and respectable distance off the tee.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Definitely go get fit at a shop and swing a few of them. Figure out what your swing speed is so you get the appropriate shaft stiffness.

The Taylormade M2 is a good buy right now. The M6 is priced at a pretty nice discount too right now ($349), compared to the latest SIM.

I want to look at new clubs next year. I'm using a Taylor Made R7 Quad and RAC irons that I bought around 2003.

dberz94

Professional Slacker
Feb 14, 2015
Go to a local golf shop, they usually have inventory of older (5 years and newer) clubs that are still mostly in good condition that people have traded in. Golf Galaxy does this too but odds are they don't really know how to fit players properly like your local shop does. Plus they would upcharge you for the help (probably).

Reactions: LikeABauce302

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Go to the PGA Superstore and Golf Galaxy. Try out some of the drivers and see what you like.

I'd even recommend cutting down the driver shaft about an inch. It is easier to control. You'll lose a bit of swing speed but it should be easier to make good ball and club contact. I tried using the ridiculously long shafts that come on drivers. Garbage. Too long for us casual golfers. I cut off an inch on my driver shafts and make better contact and more consistent good drives with some lose of distance. I Sure good golfers have no problem with the longer shafts. But us causal players I think can benefit from more control rather that all out speed and distance.

I'm still using and loving my Callaway Mini driver I bought 4-5 years ago. Its smaller than a driver but larger than a 3 wood. Sadly they are no longer made.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Sooooo why is it that year old brand new clubs are so cheap? Is the performance increasing that much year to year, or do business execs just like to flex?

For us casual golfers? No difference at all IMO.

If you have clubs from like a decade ago you might gain a few yards, but itā€™s not like youā€™re going to be driving the ball like youā€™re DeChambreau or something.

Think of it like car dealers selling their last year model with a ton of incentives to make room for the new greatness.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Side note: are there enough golfers for a TCG outting?

giphy.gif

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Well letā€™s see if we can at least get four of us to meet up and play a round in the next few weeks.

I suppose we should know where we are all located and pick a course somewhat central to everyone.

Iā€™m in North Aurora.

I often play at
Bliss Creek in Sugar Grove
Hughes Creek in Elburn
Tanna Farms in Geneva
BlackBerry Oaks in Bristol
Orchard Valley in Aurora
Phillips Park in Aurora

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info