Any biology related jobs?

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
Going to be graduating with a BS in biology in May. Anyone on here work at a lab or anything where I can get experience? Thanks.

When I was doing the bio/chem thing I landed a lab position through a recruiter prepping ground water samples from landfills for testing at Waste Mgt....that job showed me that lab work was NOT for me. I was actually quite good at it but when I found out most of the chemists working there had master's degrees and only made around $60K/year I saw the writing on the wall.

I also ran a GC/MS out a Ford Conversion van for a private/3 man team specializing in delineation of ground water/soil contamination from gas stations, dry cleaners and general industry. Pay sucked, work conditions were horrible but I learned a ton and liked who I worked with. I didn't get paid much but the owner said the van never left the garage for less than $2k (each hole we punched/tested was minimum of $2K) and some days we punched 18-20 holes.

If you want to get paid you need get into medical/pharm sales but you'll also have to check your morals at the door...which is another reason I leaned unix and got a job in telecom..Sure it pays a bit less but at least I can live with myself.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
If you want to get paid you need get into medical/pharm sales but you'll also have to check your morals at the door...which is another reason I leaned unix and got a job in telecom..Sure it pays a bit less but at least I can live with myself.

There is a lot of money in Pharma, period. I'm in Regulatory and we have tons of people, ex-scientists, etc. making good money. I think a lot of them have lab experience and it helped them get to where they are.

Regulatory affairs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
I was in the same boat as you when I graduated from NIU in bio, emph in Molec-Path

I worked in pharmacy my whole life and have continued with that, flirted with going to pharm school, but didn't have the gpa and kinda gave up on that. Going the lab route was not really my intentions both from a pay standpoint, but also the daily work just isn't for me. Going back to school seems like a decent option, but not unless you know exactly for what.

Luckily there are lots of biotech and medical places in chicagoland, check out abbott and some of the pharmacy related companies northwest of Chicago too

Ironically both of my sisters also graduated with the same degree in bio too. One is currently in Optometry school in Memphis and the other is about the graduate from a Ultrasound tech program at COD.

sorry falling asleep here lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info