Antique license plate question

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I just registered the 87 suburban and got the "EA" plates. Same rules as a regular "AV" plate but no mileage restriction. I have the original California plates that came on the burban in the 80's. Was wondering if anyone knew the specifics of using those plates on the truck.

I know you can run period correct plates on antique vehicles, I just don't know if you need to have anything else besides having the real, current Illinois plates in the car with you.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Let me Google that for you!

Expanded-Use Antique License Plates

Expanded-Use Antique License Plates have a staggered expiration and are annual plates. To qualify for Expanded-Use Antique Plates, motor vehicles, including motorcycles, must be more than 25 years old. Firefighting vehicles must be at least 20 years old.

Vehicles displaying these plates during the months of January-March and November-December may only be driven to and from an antique auto show or exhibition, service station or demonstration.

Vehicles displaying these plates during the months of April-October may be driven on the highways without being subject to the restrictions of a standard antique vehicle plate.

The mechanical and physical condition of the vehicle, including brakes, lights, glass and appearance, must be the same or as safe as originally equipped. An antique vehicle may be a "bona fide replica" - an exact copy of the original in design, frame and mechanical operation. "Facsimiles" - close, but not exact, reproductions of the original -do not qualify for Expanded-Use Antique Vehicle plates.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I got EA's because I drive a lot and didn't want to bother with making up some story if I ever did get pulled over. Plus, the fact that they now have EA plates makes me think they might start paying attention to people with regular antique plates. :dunno:

Still half the price of regular plates. I also drove it in the winter a few times without ossue

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I've got Cali plates that were on the truck in the late 80's-early 90's. They have registration stickers on them all the way to 2007, so I'm going to peel those off and leave it with no sticker and keep the plates in the truck. If I get pulled over and someone says change it I will. What's the worst that can happen lol?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I forgot I made this thread lol.

I have AV’s registered to my ‘85 F-250, I purchased a 1985 Montana plate that I run on it. Looking for some old school rodeo front plate or topper for it.

71F9D3AD-30D6-4563-B075-603B568C952B.jpeg

FAE105F5-311C-42AD-BC8B-AD25674F5C3D.jpeg

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Bumping an old thread because my question probably isn't worthy of a new one.

Has anyone changed from standard passenger car plates to Expanded Antique? Do I have to go to the DMV for this, or can it be done at a currency exchange? Paying $151 per car each year for multiple cars is getting old fast lol.

I would just go to the dmv. I have antique plates on my vette and they give u the plates right on the spot. It’s a real easy process

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Interesting. I didn't know you could do this in IL. I bought a minty '86 Indiana plate with an '87 expiration sticker in case I felt like dropping my "Quick 86" plate. I think the new covered bridge plates are ugly AF anyway. For $10 I thought that was a steal considering how rare of a find it is. It's wild how specific the rules are here, but I've been told that 99% of the Indiana cops have no idea about those rules anyway. You'll only have to worry about being harassed in other states.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info