TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
FB_IMG_1582595005627.jpg

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
As long as he doesn't go off the grid forever and keeps selling parts the 4t65e should still be okay. With no 1" chains out there though it kinda makes anything serious with the 4t65e seem pointless. No one has really pushed the envelope of the 3800 recently so it seems pretty dead and boring. There's still a lot of people out there though doing more mild turbo builds. You've gotta love the motor to be sticking around though I think.

RWD builds are the future for those who still love 3800's and want to go crazy if you ask me. There's so many better transmission options that can be had for less than what people want for the 1" chains alone.

Has anyone ever broken a bottom end from too much power yet?
I'm hoping to get wild with a rwd platform myself and see what it'll do, but I need to exercise some self-control for a few more seasons.

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Your post got me kinda worked up. I've also been drinking, so here goes nothing.

RWD builds are the future for those who still love 3800's and want to go crazy if you ask me. There's so many better transmission options that can be had for less than what people want for the 1" chains alone.
This is what I've been saying for a few years now. I think part of the problem is that people (including myself at one point) think that the RWD transmission options suck as well. Sadly, keyboard warriors will say that T5s and and 4L60Es are glass because they can't handle 1000HP. I mean, they're right. A stout 3800 build will kill both of those transmissions in a hurry. However, that doesn't mean that you won't have a killer time in a stock long block car with a cheap turbo and an upgraded clutch. It's just hard to make that case anywhere but here.

Has anyone ever broken a bottom end from too much power yet?
In this forum? Not sure. I haven't been here long. Last I checked, some of the quickest 3800s down under were still using stock blocks and cranks though.

I'm trying hard to preach this to the Buick community. The guys with all out V6 Grand National race cars are dropping like flies due to the cost of Stage 2 blocks and associated parts. I don't blame them one bit, but I wish they would see the 3800 as a viable option. They're practically a worthless junkyard version of an on-center Stage 2 block with the addition of knock sensors and cross bolted mains. It even bolts in place of the original V6 if you cut an unnecessary tab off the block and use a transmission adapter. The stigma is that these engines are weak which is just laughably false.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info