• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Another A/C question

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Used the A/C today on my 2003 Cobra and it felt not as cold as usual (probably some refrigerant leaked out from sitting all winter), so I put a gauge on the low side port and only got 22 psi. I have a chart that says it should be between 40 and 50 PSI with an outside temp of 83 degrees. Is this correct?

Also, I have conflicting information about how much refrigerant the system can take. I think the correct amount is 34 ounces (with about 8 ounces of oil), but then I have some other specs that say 17 ounces. Can anyone verify which number is correct? I don't want to accidentally blow up the system by overcharging.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Sorry. I know this is probably a dead post, but I'll answer anyway. Every car with A/C should have a sticker that tells you how much refrigerant is supposed to be in the system. I wouldn't worry about the oil yet. As for recharging, I would figure out where common leak points are first. It's nice when you can recharge with dye after changing a couple orings and get lucky. A dealer with just about always make it a two trip fix, but I've been able to fix two of my cars in one service. They've been holding their charges for two years now.
1622119415560.png

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I ended up putting in about 34 ounces and it blows very cold and seems to be holding.
What's strange is that the pressure never gets above about 28 psi. I filled it on an 82 degree day, so I was expecting to get to 45 psi, but it stayed at about 26 to 28 psi the whole time during the fill process. I'm not sure why that is, unless I have a leak that only occurs above 28 psi, but even if that were true, I'd expect the system pressure to go up more than 28 psi and then maybe gradually drop as it leaked out. Also, it's been almost a month since I filled it and it's still fine.

For some reason, all the refrigerant leaks out over the winter if I forget to use the A/C over that time. The car almost never gets driven in winter and if I do drive it, it's only on nice days, so no foggy windows to use the A/C on for defrosting. This has happened a couple years ago too. Back then I filled it, but over the winter I remembered to switch on the A/C occasionally, then in spring it was fine and nothing leaked out. I went two years with no problems.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
W body is 2.25 lbs.... 36oz

When the compressor shuts off the low side should rise and fairly quickly if not you may have a restriction.
Modern volume adjusting swashplate style compressors generally maintain 30 PSI on the low side, as the compressor swash plate Springs are configured for pressure delta, (a change in pressure) across the inlet and Outlet ports.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
W body is 2.25 lbs.... 36oz

When the compressor shuts off the low side should rise and fairly quickly if not you may have a restriction.
Modern volume adjusting swashplate style compressors generally maintain 30 PSI on the low side, as the compressor swash plate Springs are configured for pressure delta, (a change in pressure) across the inlet and Outlet ports.

Ok, this makes sense. I was getting 28 PSI steady on the low side with the A/C on and when the compressor cycled off, the pressure rose quickly. I'm thinking the system is probably OK.

The Mustang takes 34 ounces of R134a and 8.5 ounces of PAG 46 oil.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info