Android Official Android Thread

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have a Samsung Note 10 plus. It is running Android 12 software. All apps and Google Play Service is updated.

Last week my Android Auto stopped working on my 2022 Hyundai. Cable is fine as a buddies phone plugged into it started Android Auto as it should. So not a cable or vehicle issue.

This evening I'm searching online and it seems Google is dropping Android Auto with Android 12? They have something baked into Google Assistant for directions. There are posts on forums with AA not working after 12 started rolling out. Three AA updates later, many say AA won't work in their vehicles.

Does anyone know about this? Is that really the deal? Google is just waking away from having car radios or infotainment systems showing AA? Google map, waze, pandora, etc.

All I know is I tried about 15 different things to get Android Auto to work. Nothing worked.

• Wow
Reactions: LikeABauce302

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
I have a Samsung Note 10 plus. It is running Android 12 software. All apps and Google Play Service is updated.

Last week my Android Auto stopped working on my 2022 Hyundai. Cable is fine as a buddies phone plugged into it started Android Auto as it should. So not a cable or vehicle issue.

This evening I'm searching online and it seems Google is dropping Android Auto with Android 12? They have something baked into Google Assistant for directions. There are posts on forums with AA not working after 12 started rolling out. Three AA updates later, many say AA won't work in their vehicles.

Does anyone know about this? Is that really the deal? Google is just waking away from having car radios or infotainment systems showing AA? Google map, waze, pandora, etc.

All I know is I tried about 15 different things to get Android Auto to work. Nothing worked.
The AA they are talking about that got integrated into assistant was an app on your phone that would switch to a car friendly view, not the AA that shows up on your infotainment system. That should still definitely work.

Can you uninstall or clear data for the AA app and see if that works?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I've tried doing that 5 times already. The phone shows it pairs the phone by Bluetooth, loads Android Auto screen that says "next" to set it up. Hit next and it disappears from the phone screen. The car infotainment initially says "USB Connected Android Auto". Then a second later it says the phone disconnects. See attachment.

I've done everything in this posting. Trying one thing at a time. No luck.

I'm thinking a factory reset is my next option. I was really trying to stay away from it. I had hope that I'd find a setting that changed or something like that. But the fact the issue started after I updated the phone OS makes me question if it really is a OS 12 issue.

But I'll try any suggestions at this point

20220815_204459.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Recently put GrapheneOS on my pixel 4a. Basically is a completely debloated android, even zero google apps.

So far its been perfect, albeit a slight learning curve because you can control EVERYTHING permissions wise. No more "google gets whatever it wants" permissions.

The battery life has been nuts. Its been 4 days....and I'm at 46% still. This is my work phone so it basically sits idle for oncall on the weekend, so we will see how it goes today with a real day of work.

signal-2022-09-19-09-20-48-092.png

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Recently put GrapheneOS on my pixel 4a. Basically is a completely debloated android, even zero google apps.

So far its been perfect, albeit a slight learning curve because you can control EVERYTHING permissions wise. No more "google gets whatever it wants" permissions.

The battery life has been nuts. Its been 4 days....and I'm at 46% still. This is my work phone so it basically sits idle for oncall on the weekend, so we will see how it goes today with a real day of work.

View attachment 132709
Do you recommend it for anyone?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

View attachment 132709
Might be a dumb question, but can you run NovaLauncher over it?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Might be a dumb question, but can you run NovaLauncher over it?
Yes. Its regular android, but everything is sandboxed for permissions, even google apps if you choose to install them. Its just the base android Linux OS.

Basic stuff works with the apps built in (phone, camera, messaging) but there is nothing else installed that would be on like a stock pixel or Samsung phone.

Want to use email? Need an app, whether you choose gmail, fairemail, or another client.

Directions? Need an app. Whether its maps, Waze, etc

But it doesn't even come with play store, so first you need to either install play store, or download the .apk and install the app manually or install an open source app store like FDroid.

Here is what it looked like on install app drawer wise, the red X I installed after. Its sooooo nice having zero bloat and have full control over what gets installed even if it means more initial setup.

signal-2022-09-20-16-23-04-649-1_1.png

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yes. Its regular android, but everything is sandboxed for permissions, even google apps if you choose to install them. Its just the base android Linux OS.

Basic stuff works with the apps built in (phone, camera, messaging) but there is nothing else installed that would be on like a stock pixel or Samsung phone.

Want to use email? Need an app, whether you choose gmail, fairemail, or another client.

Directions? Need an app. Whether its maps, Waze, etc

But it doesn't even come with play store, so first you need to either install play store, or download the .apk and install the app manually or install an open source app store like FDroid.

Here is what it looked like on install app drawer wise, the red X I installed after. Its sooooo nice having zero bloat and have full control over what gets installed even if it means more initial setup.

View attachment 132837
Thanks for the detailed information. I might have to dig up an old android phone and practice before attempting it on my mom’s Pixel 4a or my dad’s 3a.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Do you recommend it for anyone?
I'll let you know after more daily driving. I want to see how bank apps and payment stuff acts. It is supposed to be no problems, but some apps require a setting turned on that bascially makes the app think it has full permissions but really it is just locked in its own sandbox.

Its like a car with 2 steering wheels, 1 real and 1 fake. A stock android phone OS will give an app the real wheel without an option for even a fake one.

GrapheneOS gives the app a fake wheel and makes the app thinks its driving and in control, when really its not.

A bank app for example will require permissions for pictures for mobile depositing. Innocent and valid, but you can't just pic the one picture for it to have access to, it gets all photos or nothing. If an app went rouge, it COULD access any pictures it would want because it has permission to.

GrapheneOS also allows the granularity to give it access to ONLY the INDIVIDUAL photo vs all or nothing.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Thread Info