Android Official Android Thread

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I'm calling BS on it being real star shots and not them just adding star effect processing in software to make it look like it took a high quality star picture. Usually its pretty easy to identify constellations but those just look like processed sky pics with a bunch of stars added.

Id like to see the same night sky photos taken with a Pixel 4 and a DSLR to see the true difference.

Also doesnt it take like 5 mins to take a 1 photo in that mode? I guess with that long of an exposure, it could be true sky. That is a long time for a photo though.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I have zero reason to believe it's fake. The camera sits open for 4-5 minutes, taking upwards of 15 different exposure shots iirc...then it stitches everything together... And I can stare up at the sky and match what I'm looking at.

Google isn't going to risk putting fake shit over user photos.... They would be getting torched right now.

I'll post the raw versions of the previous two. I edited them darker to make the stars pop more. One sec.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I have zero reason to believe it's fake. The camera sits open for 4-5 minutes... And I can stare up at the sky and match what I'm looking at.

Google isn't going to risk putting fake shit over user photos.... They would be getting torched right now.

a majority of users wouldnt have any idea or have the ability to even recreate/argue it :rofl:

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Unedited.

IMG_20191102_224530~2.jpg

IMG_20191102_224711~3.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Its still a phone....sitting in pitch black, taking clear pics of the stars. I guess I'm easily impressed.
if I could point and shoot that, i would be impressed.

The 4-5 min delay and stacking makes it a lot less impressive based on my experience with star shots and DSLR night shooting.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The shutter has to stay open to collect light man...how else do you think this works? Its not a full frame camera so it needs to stare at the sky far longer, especially when you're sitting in the country with zero light aside from the sky.

Go try and do this with a point and shoot (not a slr) and show me the results.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The shutter has to stay open to collect light man...how else do you think this works? Its not a full frame camera so it needs to stare at the sky far longer, especially when you're sitting in the country with zero light aside from the sky.

Go try and do this with a point and shoot (not a slr) and show me the results.
no shit. that is why I am not impressed. Its just long exposure and stacking. photo editing tricks.

I could probably pull off similar star shots with a point and shoot that has manual exposure and ISO settings and then stack and post process them. Itll just take longer then 5 mins since I don't have AI to help.

Thread Info