Android Official Android Thread

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
They probably didn't do the network security sides of things to allow Android auto without making the computer system vulnerable since OEM headunits are more integrated in the car system.

I guess I can see a security issue with allowing Android Auto with the factory wifi. But still would think they could firewall the stereo and GPS functions from the rest of the technology. But maybe it isn't that easy. It is a shame. As everyone is accustomed to Bluetooth and it is the same here. I can leave my phone in my pocket and used google assistant for anything Android Auto can do.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I guess I can see a security issue with allowing Android Auto with the factory wifi. But still would think they could firewall the stereo and GPS functions from the rest of the technology. But maybe it isn't that easy. It is a shame. As everyone is accustomed to Bluetooth and it is the same here. I can leave my phone in my pocket and used google assistant for anything Android Auto can do.
Looks like it may be happening in 2020+ models.
As of this writing, none. Wireless Android Auto is reportedly rolling out more slowly — and only on certain smartphones — versus its Apple counterpart. A few aftermarket stereos now offer wireless integration with certain compatible phones, but no cars for the 2019 model year offer factory wireless compatibility; all connections still require a USB cable. However, some cars could get wireless Android Auto as soon as the 2020 model year.

Android is “actively working with our OEM partners [that is, automakers] to roll out to vehicles soon,” said Ivy Chen, the communications lead at Google’s Android Auto division. “Wireless support by automotive OEMs will start to happen this fall.”

After doing some digging it seems like it may be a hardware limitation in the cars WiFi network and them relying on built in GPS systems in the cars

That’s unlikely because it isn’t that simple. Almost all cars with in-vehicle Wi-Fi (think GM’s built-in 4G LTE hot spot) have a single-band router, explained Colin Bird-Martinez, a senior tech analyst at IHS Markit. And just like good Wi-Fi at home needs a dual-band router — one for phones and laptops, the other to stream Netflix — any car with wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto needs unique dual-band hardware, Bird-Martinez said.

Another requirement? An in-vehicle GPS receiver, which most cars package with in-dash navigation. Even if you seldom use the car’s system, any smartphone connected to wireless CarPlay will hitch a ride on its GPS signal. Like the dual-band router, it’s all for the sake of minimizing interference.

“Your phone has a modem, and it also has a Wi-Fi receiver, and it also has GPS — and if you’re connected to Wi-Fi and you’re trying to use GPS at the same time, there can be interference,” Bird-Martinez said. “If you’re using wireless [CarPlay], you must have a navigation system in your car.”

Although the line about "using WiFi and gps can cause interference" sounds like a crock of shit. There are 100s of apps that use GPS and wifi concurrently without issues .

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Soooo probably just excuses at this time? Stalling to make sure there are no issues with apps being a threat to the vehicle system. By hacking into the systems to control them via a hacked app?
Current cars don't have proper hardware too.

I guess Android auto also is a major battery hog (I wouldn't know since I don't use it) so you end up having it plugged in anyways.

It makes sense with wireless charging and wifi Android auto. But if you need to plug in to charge, mine aswell use the faster more reliable USB over wifi

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Current cars don't have proper hardware too.

I guess Android auto also is a major battery hog (I wouldn't know since I don't use it) so you end up having it plugged in anyways.

It makes sense with wireless charging and wifi Android auto. But if you need to plug in to charge, mine aswell use the faster more reliable USB over wifi

Well google maps navigating can be a battery hog too. So not sure how much worse Android Auto would be. I haven't driven anywhere far since I have been using it on wifi. But even then, if I was taking a road trip I wouldn't mind plugging it in. But for running errands and being in and out of the car a lot, it's nice to leave the phone in my pocket and not messing with plugging it in and unplugging it over and over. Yes, being majorly picky as it isn't the worst thing in the world haha

I think it is cool and will pair nicely with wireless charging. So let's hope car manufacturers get on board soon and offer it.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Well google maps navigating can be a battery hog too. So not sure how much worse Android Auto would be. I haven't driven anywhere far since I have been using it on wifi. But even then, if I was taking a road trip I wouldn't mind plugging it in. But for running errands and being in and out of the car a lot, it's nice to leave the phone in my pocket and not messing with plugging it in and unplugging it over and over. Yes, being majorly picky as it isn't the worst thing in the world haha

I think it is cool and will pair nicely with wireless charging. So let's hope car manufacturers get on board soon and offer it.
Download offline maps in Google maps. Less battery hog and works a bit faster

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
You know what, I do that when I travel in areas I know service might not be great. I guess it makes sense to do it for the area I live in as well. Thanks for the suggestion. (y)
I do like the whole chicgoland area, a bit of Wisconsin/Indy/Michigan. Basically everything within a couple hours of driving. Its only like 500 MB which is nothing nowadays

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I do like the whole chicgoland area, a bit of Wisconsin/Indy/Michigan. Basically everything within a couple hours of driving. Its only like 500 MB which is nothing nowadays

Ya, I do it when I am going to be in backcountry or the mountains. Where I know there is no cell service. I never thought of it being useful for local stuff. But it makes sense.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Ya, I do it when I am going to be in backcountry or the mountains. Where I know there is no cell service. I never thought of it being useful for local stuff. But it makes sense.
Plus if the internet disappears tomorrow...you at least have a map of the general area where you live! Lol

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Actually, I had a "home" map on my Google maps / phone. But it was due to expire next month. So good timing for a reminder to update it.

Screenshot_20191016-154734_Maps.jpg

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Galaxy s10 users....turn off fingerprint authentication until Samsung fixes the problem.

Right now you can bypass the fingerprint reader using ANYONES finger by just applying a screen protector or TPU case over the scanner and then scanning a finger.

BBC article with Samsung acknowledgement...although the article is shit, so don't bother reading it

Thread Info