Aurora
Real Name
Jeff

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
So this has pissed me off for long time.

But why come when your in shitty wifi coverage it just doesn't feed a little from service provider? I find myself out back at work and have to shut off wifi cause piss poor range... Wtf
Go to settings, about phone, software info and click on "build number" 5 times to enable developer menu.

Now in settings you should see "developer options" click in there and find the setting "cellular data always active". Turn that on. Should fix it.

Screenshot_20190821-082502.jpeg

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
So this has pissed me off for long time.

But why come when your in shitty wifi coverage it just doesn't feed a little from service provider? I find myself out back at work and have to shut off wifi cause piss poor range... Wtf
Under advanced wifi settings there is this toggle. Maybe it would help?
79d9f60197b262fe698f2abb64875219.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Fuck yes. Just found this. Will try it first.

Thanks gheys

Since that says no wifi, I would be worried that you may see a WiFi signal, have slow speeds, and it won't switch over to mobile data. Check it out and see what happens.

If not, tinfoilhat's suggestion should switch to mobile data with poor/slow connection. I did this with my Note 8 as I get a wifi signal in my detached garage but the connection isn't great and the speeds were slow. Now it seems to decide what is best and I get good speeds in my garage now.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Fi now offers an unlimited package for 70/mo....which seems silly b/c even on the flex plans, you can never pay more than 80 bucks as Google will cap your payment at that even when you gobble up a ton of data.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/17/google-fi-gets-an-unlimited-plan/

Unlimited, of course, is never quite unlimited, so Google will cap your speed after you use 22GB of data in a given month (only 1% of Fi users currently do so, the company says) and it ‘may’ cap video quality at 480p. Like with the company’s other Fi plans, there are no contracts or activation fees.

The maximum you’ll pay for Fi’s flexible price is $80 per month after you’ve used more than 6 GB of data. So there’s a tradeoff here. You’ll pay a fixed price for every unlimited line, even if you only use 1 GB of data, but you’ll pay a predictable price and you’ll get a discount for activating multiple lines, as well as a few other goodies.

Reactions: RICH17

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

ap_resize.php

Google announced a new "unlimited" plan for its Fi cellular service this morning, and on paper, it's an improvement in most ways over the company's current pricing model for heavy duty users. Data caps have been increased to 22GB before throttling, while pricing for individuals has been lowered to $70 per month (previously, Fi maxed out at $80/mo for individual users). The catch is that it's $70 per month, full stop — Fi's dynamic data pricing doesn't apply to unlimited subscribers. For those who want to stick with Fi's old dynamic model, they'll still be limited to 15GB per month before throttling may occur, and enjoy the same per-gigabyte pricing they always have. The new unlimited plan is something you'll have to opt into... and it really just feels like every other carrier plan in America.

The reason for this is simple: wholesale data pricing in the US makes "real" unlimited data next to impossible for a virtual provider like Fi. If T-Mobile and Sprint are charging Google by either the amount of data that it uses or under a set subscriber line access fee (which they are), there's little Google can do to escape the terms of these wholesale agreements. For example, it's abundantly obvious that Fi's new "unlimited" plan is being limited by the terms T-Mobile or Sprint are offering, those being a 22GB soft data cap and mandatory 480p mobile video streaming. The latter makes it especially apparent, as Fi has always operated under a 'your data, your rules' philosophy; that is, so long as you're within your monthly allotment, you can use those gigabytes for any purpose without restriction. It's pretty rich to see content-aware throttling being embraced by one of the open internet's biggest advocates.

Fi's fundamental promise — to be truly different from other wireless carriers — seems to be dissolving before our eyes. The tiered data plans still do stand out in the industry, but it's clear Google has run into business limitations when it comes to scaling that model. After all, I doubt you'd find a Fi subscriber who wouldn't prefer to just see the tiered plan's data limits grow while remaining on the same pricing structure. I have to imagine that was Google's plan initially: an expectation that wholesale data would become cheaper and cheaper, allowing Fi to keep its rates flat while increasing what those rates bought you as the years went on. It's an appealing concept. And eventually, especially as 5G begins to roll out, that may yet happen. But today's announcement of the unlimited plan is basically an admission of defeat, for the time being, on that initiative. It also makes one conclusion implicit: Google doesn't believe substantially reduced prices on true wholesale per-byte-data are a likelihood in the near term. And it's unclear what motive carriers would have to lower them. If they can negotiate per-line faux "unlimited" data with MVNOs and tack on restrictions about streaming video or anything else they fancy, why offer a way to sidestep that? Carriers want a way to upsell their customers, make their income more consistent, and retain a high level of QoS control over their networks. These not-unlimited plans are a good way to do just that.

So, what's next for Fi? Google's involvement in the CBRS initiative is probably tied up in some nebulous way to Fi's future, but it seems like consumers won't be able to reap the benefits of this new "open" spectrum agreement for at least a couple more years, as initial rollouts are primarily focused on private, commercial 4G networks. And 5G's arrival in the US shouldn't be held up as a beacon of hope just yet, either, as the rollout has been painfully slow to materialize. Sprint has promised to provide Google Fi access to its 5G network — currently the largest in the US (by far), covering over 11 million POPs. But this agreement offers no light at the end of the data cap tunnel, just access to a faster network.

Based on today's announcement, my theory is that the next big thing for Google Fi is whatever next big thing will be for the carriers it purchases service from. And that means we probably have a while to wait. It's incredibly hard to be a real maverick in the mobile operator business when you don't actually own or operate your own network, and Google seems to have run up against the limitations this model inherently comes with. Free international roaming and flexible billing are certainly nice, but they aren't transformative or disruptive in a way that's likely to give Fi mass market appeal. It remains a good option for those with specific use cases (low data consumption, lots of international travel), but today's big reveal of Fi's new data plan was far more revelatory of a basic truth: At the end of the day, Google Fi is still just another MVNO.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
who has updated their pixel lately ?

The blackout theme is kind of trippy
just updated a bunch of apps and now IG has a black surround.
it's almost like full time TCG darkness for all screens
I've waiting to upgrade to 10 on my 3XL due to the sensor issue thing with some of the phones.

I also do not have Dark Mode for Gmail although Contacts, Calendar and Drive have those options.

Since I'm rooted, I tried this Gmail hack to enable dark mode but it also didn't work. Not sure why. https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/force-enable-dark-mode-gmail-for-android-right-now-0205797/

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I've waiting to upgrade to 10 on my 3XL due to the sensor issue thing with some of the phones.

I also do not have Dark Mode for Gmail although Contacts, Calendar and Drive have those options.

Since I'm rooted, I tried this Gmail hack to enable dark mode but it also didn't work. Not sure why. https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/force-enable-dark-mode-gmail-for-android-right-now-0205797/

The October patch is supposed to fix the sensor issues.

Also, I have dark mode on everything except Gmail and the Google app....even tho they rolled out weeks ago.

Reactions: TommyGloves

Thread Info