Android Official Android Thread

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
I remember 5 years ago or so I switched from AT&T to Sprint because I got a good deal.

Now. The only good deals AT&T and Verizon offer are buy 1 get the 2nd for free I think.

Fuck them then. Lol. I only need one phone and one line.

They don’t offer any good deals for switching from another carrier for one phone.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I'm actually thinking of switching to Tmobile. I'm paying over $220/month (without my wife's phone payments taken into account). That's for 3 lines with 30 gigs/month (can be rolled over) and unlimited talk and text plus calls to/from Mexico, Canada, and other countries. Tmobile has similar but with unlimited data for cheaper.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
i pay $100/m for unlimited everything on 2 lines with tmobile

Figuring a 3rd line, and it wouldn't be much more. Say $150/month tops for 3 or 4 lines.... And it still saves money over AT&T. Checking AT&T's newer plans than the one I have and for what I need, I'd pay about $50 more per month. So it's bye bye AT&T.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
Figuring a 3rd line, and it wouldn't be much more. Say $150/month tops for 3 or 4 lines.... And it still saves money over AT&T. Checking AT&T's newer plans than the one I have and for what I need, I'd pay about $50 more per month. So it's bye bye AT&T.

There are certain areas where att is supreme over TMobile but in most large cities it's about even.

I would say TMobile can cover 95% of what att can do. But your exactly right. 3 lines should be about $150 before taxes/fees.

I have 4 lines. 10gb each line with 10gb roll over. Unlimited calls to and from Canada and Mexico. I'm coming in at $165 after taxes and fees.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
There are certain areas where att is supreme over TMobile but in most large cities it's about even.

I would say TMobile can cover 95% of what att can do. But your exactly right. 3 lines should be about $150 before taxes/fees.

I have 4 lines. 10gb each line with 10gb roll over. Unlimited calls to and from Canada and Mexico. I'm coming in at $165 after taxes and fees.

I know they have good deals on unlimited data and all that. My only gripe is, can I stream above at or above 720p over 4g?

Yeah id just check coverage maps. Even though they arent super accurate either.

Sprint said they had good coverage where I was but it was shit, TMobile has been solid for the most part.

I believe in Hampshire, Tmobile isn't all that bad. At least I hope not, and when I work all over many suburbs, there's places my brother in law doesn't get signal (tmobile) where I do. But the cost difference outweighs the very minimal signal/coverage compared to AT&T. I'll just have to stop in the closest corporate tmobile store and find out what they can do for me.

Only other thing is how I'm going to get all 3 lines switched over from AT&T whereas 1 of my lines (my dad's) is in Texas. I think he'd have to go to a corporate store over there and switch his after I get my 2 lines over here set up.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I know they have good deals on unlimited data and all that. My only gripe is, can I stream above at or above 720p over 4g?

I believe in Hampshire, Tmobile isn't all that bad. At least I hope not, and when I work all over many suburbs, there's places my brother in law doesn't get signal (tmobile) where I do. But the cost difference outweighs the very minimal signal/coverage compared to AT&T. I'll just have to stop in the closest corporate tmobile store and find out what they can do for me.

Only other thing is how I'm going to get all 3 lines switched over from AT&T whereas 1 of my lines (my dad's) is in Texas. I think he'd have to go to a corporate store over there and switch his after I get my 2 lines over here set up.
Just did 1080p60 on tmobile 4g as i type this. No issues.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
Just did 1080p60 on tmobile 4g as i type this. No issues.

Right. They offer a truly unlimited plan the 2 lines for $100 or the unlimited at low rate known as "Binge on" something I currently have/had. I just watch at full HD now and stop when I hit my 10gb limit, then they dip into my rollover data.

My wife on the truthy unlimited plan burns thru about 20-30 GB on 1080p on purpose

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Welp I just bought an S10e. Still getting everything set up on it. I haven't been a samsung fan for years now, for one reason or another, mostly due to the old touchwiz interface they used to use, but this One UI seems like a big improvement, so we'll see how it goes. I went w/ the E over the regular 10 or 10+ for a few reasons. It's a smaller phone, which I like cuz its easy to hit all 4 corners of the screen w/out any weird stretching or repositioning the phone in your hand, It's got an actual capacitive fingerprint sensor built into the power button on the side instead of that "ultrasonic" under the screen sensor that everyone says isnt quite as responsive, and also this has a completely flat screen, instead of curving around the side of the phone like the 10 and 10+.

The tradeoffs are ones I can live with. You do get just a 1080p amoled instead of a quad hd display, but really, its still a great looking display and you're really not missing out on much. You only get 2 rear cameras on the E instead of 3, but you get the normal lens and the wide angle, which will be more than enough for me, I think the E only has guerilla glass 5 instead of 6, so :dunno:, and it does get a smaller battery, but with the smaller, less power hungry screen, I'm not worried about what battery life will be like on this.

You still get the same processor and internals as the 10 and 10+, tho the E only gets 6 gigs of ram instead of 8, big whoop. Pretty much every review Ive looked at complains that the power button/fingerprint sensor is too high up on this phone, but I just dont get it. Unless you have circus midget hands I think its perfect. Besides if it were any lower your thumb would hit the sensor as you naturally hold the phone and always be turning the screen on and off.

This thing is smaller, thinner, and lighter than the moto z force ive been using for the last 2+ years. My moto feels like a brick compared to this thing :rofl: But thats what I like about it. I can toss that thing around and not worry about it. Never had to run a case on it. This E tho...I may need to wrap it up. Probably will take me the rest of the day to get this thing set up.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Ok guys, my note 8 updated to 9.0 pie last night. The colors are horrible. I can't read half the text or icons in the pull down menu. Any idea idea how to change this?

I tried changing themes but that only changes the screen and icons on the background, home screens, and so on. None of the setting of factory type stuff.

Any help with this?

*edit* I can make these out on my laptop much better than I can on my phone. And even on my laptop it is hard to read and see the icons. It's like they are shadows.

Screenshot_20190409-080501_Nova%20Launcher.jpeg

Screenshot_20190409-080503_Nova%20Launcher.jpeg

Screenshot_20190409-084005_Settings.jpeg

Screenshot_20190409-084136_Settings.jpeg

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Ok guys, my note 8 updated to 9.0 pie last night. The colors are horrible. I can't read half the text or icons in the pull down menu. Any idea idea how to change this?

I tried changing themes but that only changes the screen and icons on the background, home screens, and so on. None of the setting of factory type stuff.

Any help with this?

*edit* I can make these out on my laptop much better than I can on my phone. And even on my laptop it is hard to read and see the icons. It's like they are shadows.

View attachment 38778

View attachment 38779

View attachment 38780

View attachment 38781

Mine updated as well but I don't have that issue with it being hard to read.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190409-095158_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190409-095158_Samsung Internet.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 71

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Nova launcher has themes? Since when?
I didn't say it was a nova launcher theme. Didn't mean it that way at least. Just that I uses nova launcher. Not sure if that has an effect on stuff like that or not.

But changing the theme in the phone settings changed the pull down and settings look. So I tried a few different options. As the theme I had was garbage. This one isn't bad. Gonna try a few other ones tonight to see what I like.

Screenshot_20190409-100316_Nova%20Launcher.jpegScreenshot_20190409-100308_Settings.jpeg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Thinking about finally getting rid of the Nexus 6P and upgrading to something newer. The LG V35 checks all my boxes except 1, maybe 2....

1... single speaker, no dual front facing speakers

maybe 2... bootloader may not be unlockable, although it looks as though people have found a way recently. Plus LG just began releasing Android P updates.

and I can get one for $300 brand new unlocked right now...

Anyone have a LG V35?

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
Thinking about finally getting rid of the Nexus 6P and upgrading to something newer. The LG V35 checks all my boxes except 1, maybe 2....

1... single speaker, no dual front facing speakers

maybe 2... bootloader may not be unlockable, although it looks as though people have found a way recently. Plus LG just began releasing Android P updates.

and I can get one for $300 brand new unlocked right now...

Anyone have a LG V35?
Pixel 2xl not an option? Though the ones at the best price are probably Verizon and the bootloader won't be unlockable.

Thread Info