And now a few pics of my Grand Prix

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
:rofl: Thanks for the thread bump James! I completely forgot I posted this stuff. Anyways, there have been MANY MANY changes since I created this thread in 2008. Shortly after joining TCG and posting the above pics, I completed my L67 engine swap in this car. When I put it back together, I put the 94-96 "B4U" front bumper on, and shortly after that, most of the rest of the "B4U" kit. It remained unpainted after fitting the kit. Some of you may recognize this clown car.
1.JPG

The car remained like the above picture for the last few years until this past Saturday when I "plastidipped" it. Before starting the spraying, I had to remove a lot of peeling paint from the roof, so I stripped it completely using Aircraft Remover. This stuff is amazing. Spray on a heavy coat, and 15 minutes later, you can literally brush the paint off the car.
2.JPG

Once that was finished and a few spots on the body were sanded smooth, I masked off all the parts I didn't want coated and most of the trim.
3.JPG

4.JPG

After the first go around.
5.JPG

After the second.
6.JPG

After a third coat.
7.JPG

The next couple pics were after random coatings on the spots that needed it most.
8.JPG

9.JPG

And a crappy pic of the finished product.
10.JPG

It is straight up Smurf blue. It's a lot brighter than I thought it would end up being, but its so nice to finally have it all one color. It's not quite as smooth as other plastidip jobs I've seen, but that is likely due to the non-ideal conditions under which I did the job, and the heavy coatings that the car required. I learned in doing this process that (at least for the blue), the underlying finish needed to be consistent on the whole car. I found that the red and white parts needed heavy coating to match the lighter coated blue parts. I also found that the spots that were sanded down to metal were also showing through multiple coats of the plastidip. All in all, it was a fun process. I still have yet to sand and coat the wing, and I think I have just enough left for that. I'll be happy to answer any questions on the plastidip process if you have any. BIG thanks to Rich for giving his WHOLE day to get this done with me! :jg:

Also, Slow Chevy, since the original posting in 2008, I bought 2 90 TGPs. :D

Thread Info