• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Oil ANALysis thread

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Gunna start posting all my test in here. Hopefully get some of you on the bandwagon.

Latest from the highlander. This is AMAZON 0W20 oil. It's been in there now for 3 OC's...
20201026_175054.jpg

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
How much does that cost? I’ve had the bottle on my desk for over a year but never done it. I let the dealership do my 10k services with Castrol or Valvoline and change it myself with Liquimoly (German shit) every 5k. Probably insanely overkill for my casual driving habits but I like the piece of mind.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I change at 5k, but change my filter no matter what every month. Can never have clean enough oil in a turbo car
I take it your filter is on top of the motor? I’ve never even considered doing that, but my cartridge filters are cheap enough that it wouldn’t be ridiculous to do.

Absolutely wasteful and useless. Unreal.

$30/sample

• Haha
Reactions: DanJ

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Other than spending 30 dollars, what else will happen regardless of results?
Umm. You can tell when things are starting to fail.

I sure as hell could tell when SHO was cleaning itself up. First sample I took showed coolant and dirt. I figured it was cause it looked like the timing chains had been changed recently. 3 OC's in and oil is clean as a whistle. So yea, someone was in there.

I also advise customers to sample oil before they spend $8k for me to do head studs to make the engine is worth working on.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

I sure as hell could tell when SHO was cleaning itself up. First sample I took showed coolant and dirt. I figured it was cause it looked like the timing chains had been changed recently. 3 OC's in and oil is clean as a whistle. So yea, someone was in there.

I also advise customers to sample oil before they spend $8k for me to do head studs to make the engine is worth working on.

I mean I understand what it tells you, I’m just stuck on the why for a run of the mill daily.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson

Exactly. The 3.5L internal water pump is always good to catch early before it ruins the engine.
My sisters Fusion Sport had a engine replaced under extended warranty by Ford because the water pump failed, leaked into the oil, and then ruined the cam bearings. Possibly could have been caught with an oil sample

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I have been running Amazon oil and GM filter in the Tahoe since the Amazon oil was released. After two samples to blackstone the Amazon also tests better that the M1 in my truck at least. Just sucks when I first starting buying it was like $25 for 6 quarts and a GM filter and now its like $35. Still cheaper than M1 most of the time tho. Just changed it at 7500 miles and 30% on the oil life monitor. I usually do 6K intervals around every 3 months. 275K on the truck.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I take it your filter is on top of the motor? I’ve never even considered doing that, but my cartridge filters are cheap enough that it wouldn’t be ridiculous to do.

if you get a good synthetic i think going 10k 15k miles on it is fine, although probably a good idea to change the filter every 5k or so.

i have a couple posts on my car blog about oil and my track use, including one with a few blackstone analyses.

i've only done amsoil synthetic, aside from their marketing and past usage, in another thread i have about cooling mine seemed to have better pressure observances than some oil from redline. in any case i've done 0w20, 10w30, and have settled on 5w30. the analyses include oil up to 280f. with my coolant based oil cooler now it doesn't peak that high, but sustained driving can still get pretty hot (maybe 265 peak sustained, usually a bit lower though)

Reactions: DanJ
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info