🔧 BUILD Upside-down M90 GTP build thread

General Information

When your wife gives you permission to build a racecar, you build a racecar.

This is what happened to me. However, all funding for this project comes out of my construction account. I really need a telehandler, so this is very budget friendly. Luckily, I've been stockpiling parts for years. This isn't an overnight build by any means. My goal is to make a 1/4 mile pass with it before the tracks close for the season. I'm taking a risk here and using photobucket for image hosting, so hopefully they don't screw me over again.

So let's start it off. I bought a 04 L26 motor with somewhere north of 100k on it and started to tear it down.

1689132772823.png

Everything looks good so far. The pistons are really clean. There was some junk sitting in the oil pan, but not much.

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
I need to try and figure out how to boost leak test this thing. Maybe I'll get a plate of 1/4" steel, drill and tap a couple holes in the blower inlet, and mount the plate to the face of it.
One nice thing about my cable drive car is havin the evap port to plug into and blocking the intake on the turbo off usually covers everything pretty easy. I think I need to recal my gauge tho im leak free air wise beside what runs out the exhaust and still only showin 12" and 5 lbs. Doesnt really add up to 310 whp tho so im sure I'm hittin my 10 lbs on the spring

You can't just use like a pvc end cap with an air fitting anywhere on that monster?

Reactions: GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
IMG_20210615_175039466.jpg

IMG_20210615_175412818.jpg

IMG_20210615_175419224.jpg

Initial tests, I could not get the system to even build pressure with my compressor.

So I pulled the blower off and stuck a shop vac set to blow in the pipe. This is not a perfect method, but so far I've counted about 6 leaks. Pretty much all of them are on crappy welds.

IMG_20210616_094823075.jpg

IMG_20210616_094937090.jpg

The pipe should be easy enough to fix, but I'm going to have to pull the lim to fix the other one. I'm not too excited for that.

• Sad
Reactions: Rdrnnr and v6buicks

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Use vacuum and Loctite type Super Glue.

One of the local impregnating companies uses Loctite resins to seal microscopic leaks in components.

Start it up and drop a few drops on there and then shut it down

I don't know if I can even get down there with anything. It's such a tight squeeze, I don't think I can even get my hand in there. I'll have to try though.

Do parts stores have that glue?

Thread Info