🔧 BUILD Upside-down M90 GTP build thread

General Information

When your wife gives you permission to build a racecar, you build a racecar.

This is what happened to me. However, all funding for this project comes out of my construction account. I really need a telehandler, so this is very budget friendly. Luckily, I've been stockpiling parts for years. This isn't an overnight build by any means. My goal is to make a 1/4 mile pass with it before the tracks close for the season. I'm taking a risk here and using photobucket for image hosting, so hopefully they don't screw me over again.

So let's start it off. I bought a 04 L26 motor with somewhere north of 100k on it and started to tear it down.

1689132772823.png

Everything looks good so far. The pistons are really clean. There was some junk sitting in the oil pan, but not much.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
So back up and running. I had a feeling that my fuse box was having some issues with connections all over. Lots of corrosion in there. So I had a spare that I pulled from a car a few years ago, swapped it over, and it appears to have fixed all my problems so far. Car fires right up, fans work like they are supposed to.
IMG_20210518_172609879.jpg

Also, I used the shifter. I have all four gears, on jack stands anyways. That's a good sign so far.

Here's a video of the new exhaust....keep in mind the phone microphone does absolutely no justice to the sound.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Just been driving the car around town. I'm really enjoying it now that the transmission shifts like it should. The diff is interesting. I do seem to notice torque steer at low speeds and low throttle, especially right after a turn. I just have some nitto 555r's on it now that are next to worthless. Even punching it in 2nd gear, it just blows the tires off.

But, I think I got my wideband to output correctly into hpt. Took some doing, since I don't have the laptop anymore that I originally used to program the wideband.

IMG_20210530_124021278.jpg

I changed it to 0v at 10 afr, and 5v at 20 afr.

Also, I might try and make this Friday night, depending on how they think it will be for non-funny car guys that just want some passes.

FB_IMG_1622487863909.jpg

This thing always seems to be leaking something.

IMG_20210531_094142842.jpg

This is engine oil, coming out of the drain plug. But I do have a new drain plug, so I just need to change oil and throw that on.

Just a few things left...install my laptop mount, tune it, maybe turn up the boost a bit more, install a screen over the ice box outlet to pump, and make a rear firewall for it.

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
GTPpower GTPpower lookin good man doin it that old school way where you actually have to do the math and dont feel bad my catch can spots wherever I park from the condensation. If your cruising around your doin better than me, mine spat like a donkey last night backing it on the dyno. Hopefully I have it sorted out and can throw some more boost to it now that I know what she feels like walking down the lane.

Turbocharged400sbc Turbocharged400sbc your a mad man and I love it :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Planning on track day tomorrow night. I think I should be ready.

Decided to cut it off and mount a turbo here....
IMG_20210608_162012222.jpg

Just kidding....m904lyfe

Here is one of the reasons I cut the flanges off.
IMG_20210610_094826278.jpg

Also, the clamp was not the correct size for the flanges, and with my booster, the angles they were welded on at were just a bit off.

IMG_20210608_165724542.jpg

IMG_20210608_181200196.jpg

My welds really look terrible compared to zzp's. I'm not sure why though. I didn't back-purge these since they aren't under pressure, so maybe that's why. I've definitely done much better though.

IMG_20210609_083650746.jpg

But got it all put back on after wrapping the upper downpipe.

IMG_20210609_094900443.jpg

Also finished up the exhaust. I bought a 3" zzp exhaust from a local with a magnaflow resonator.

IMG_20210610_103104208.jpg

IMG_20210610_103130660.jpg

Also, this is something I've been wanting to do basically ever since I started tuning, like 16 years ago. Finally did it. A nice, solid laptop mount.

IMG_20210610_111738823.jpg

IMG_20210610_115511461.jpg

IMG_20210610_115521170.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it, but I think I will need to weld a plate to the floor to firm it up some more.

I'm moving the intercooler water lines up front a bit to try and keep them from kinking. No pictures of that because I soaked myself doing it.

I need to do a bit more tuning, put on the slicks and skinnies, and maybe try to turn the boost up more if I can get to it.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
So, track day wasn't great.

IMG_20210611_150003118_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210611_211349676.jpg

It was prepped for funny cars, which come to find out, isn't great for other cars.

I got 3 passes in. 1st pass was 12.4@109. I spun pretty bad off the line and it shifted into 4th before the end of the track. Whoops. Getting back into the pits, I noticed I had shifts set with the stock settings still. 5300 rpms for 1-2 and 2-3 and like 4400 for 3-4. I also had a decent amount of kr.

So I moved the shifts to 6k, added some fuel since it was lean, and pulled some timing out.

2nd pass was my best. 12.3@110 spinning really bad. I had terrible burnouts on the first and 2nd passes. DA was 4400' on this pass. It was still lean and I had a couple degrees of kr. There is some kind of boost issue. This was on a 2.7 pulley with 5% OD, and I only saw 10 psi. I think I have a leak someplace yet. Iat's only rise a few degrees over the whole pass. The thermistor is not great for measuring this, but it should see more of a reaction than that.

On the last pass I switched to a 2.3 pulley. Boost went up to 12 psi, but I also had some belt slip. 60ft was better, but it still spun pretty bad. It went 12.3@109. I did get a decent burnout on this pass though.

If you pay attention to the shift areas, you can hear something isn't right, which is all the belt slip.

That was my race against R RdRnnR. I'll give you a little free advertising since your sign made the video. Haha.

So, I've got more work to do. I'm missing 150hp, and I'm not sure where it's hiding.

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
ugh that hurt to watch but im pretty sure i can hear my intercooler boot pop off in my burnout. at least it looked alot better than it felt ?

i couldnt really tell what was goin on with the track i hooked hard then nothin was there so i let out and tried to get back in it a couple times, it was different tho i almost wish id have skipped my 3 psi burnout and just ran it with the tires cold maybe. i also had 30 or 35 psi in the back i really just tossed the kids in the car and said screw it i gotta give it at least one go, i literally said oh shit when you pulled up next to me in the staging lane too

you better have her together next time tho i dont think those numbers are too out of reach and mines comin together pretty fast. you should come back down for cruise night hopefully well be able to get street car hits in then but itll pry be crazy busy

i dig he put the sign on the starting line, they made it too small and he said hed make it up to me and havin it right there definitely does the job might have to share you stompin me just cuz it is awesome advertisement

good to meet you and your friends again man seem like some pretty awesome dudes definitely look forward to runnin again

Reactions: GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
ugh that hurt to watch but im pretty sure i can hear my intercooler boot pop off in my burnout. at least it looked alot better than it felt ?

i couldnt really tell what was goin on with the track i hooked hard then nothin was there so i let out and tried to get back in it a couple times, it was different tho i almost wish id have skipped my 3 psi burnout and just ran it with the tires cold maybe. i also had 30 or 35 psi in the back i really just tossed the kids in the car and said screw it i gotta give it at least one go, i literally said oh shit when you pulled up next to me in the staging lane too

you better have her together next time tho i dont think those numbers are too out of reach and mines comin together pretty fast. you should come back down for cruise night hopefully well be able to get street car hits in then but itll pry be crazy busy

i dig he put the sign on the starting line, they made it too small and he said hed make it up to me and havin it right there definitely does the job might have to share you stompin me just cuz it is awesome advertisement

good to meet you and your friends again man seem like some pretty awesome dudes definitely look forward to runnin again

Good to meet you as well. I've been racing with Paul for probably 15 years. Hopefully he can get his car going again. He has this whole week off, so he might get lots done on it.

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Thread Info