🔧 BUILD Upside-down M90 GTP build thread

General Information

When your wife gives you permission to build a racecar, you build a racecar.

This is what happened to me. However, all funding for this project comes out of my construction account. I really need a telehandler, so this is very budget friendly. Luckily, I've been stockpiling parts for years. This isn't an overnight build by any means. My goal is to make a 1/4 mile pass with it before the tracks close for the season. I'm taking a risk here and using photobucket for image hosting, so hopefully they don't screw me over again.

So let's start it off. I bought a 04 L26 motor with somewhere north of 100k on it and started to tear it down.

1689132772823.png

Everything looks good so far. The pistons are really clean. There was some junk sitting in the oil pan, but not much.
I’ll use my car for example. 3300# race weight with driver, 117 mph trap speed. That’s easy over 400hp. I dynoed 320. There’s no way it’s drivetrain loss. This has bugged me for years
I’ve always thought that there was something going on with these cars. They are way faster than you would think given the whp. Unless they just put the power down super efficiently.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
they tend to grossly overfill em with grease leaving little air for handling expansion/contraction.....that and im gonna guess thats a mushroom crimped band....., they dont clamp as well as the spiral flat band clamps/SS zip ties

the hard plastic boot also doesnt clamp onto the rubber tulip adapter real well in most cases thats why most are round body inner tulips....no need for the adaptor.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
it kinda stretches out though with the 3 lbs of grease feeling like 30lbs at 60mph.....usually only on one side of the boot.....where it cooled down previously.

remove most of it but a mounded tablespoon each tripod bearing, clean and scuff the od of OEM adaptor rubber and ID of the boot and rtv em.

lookup stainless CV boot straps and tool (kinda a winding winch tool)

Reactions: GTPpower

Thread Info