🔧 BUILD Upside-down M90 GTP build thread

General Information

When your wife gives you permission to build a racecar, you build a racecar.

This is what happened to me. However, all funding for this project comes out of my construction account. I really need a telehandler, so this is very budget friendly. Luckily, I've been stockpiling parts for years. This isn't an overnight build by any means. My goal is to make a 1/4 mile pass with it before the tracks close for the season. I'm taking a risk here and using photobucket for image hosting, so hopefully they don't screw me over again.

So let's start it off. I bought a 04 L26 motor with somewhere north of 100k on it and started to tear it down.

1689132772823.png

Everything looks good so far. The pistons are really clean. There was some junk sitting in the oil pan, but not much.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Figured it out today. Started spraying around with starting fluid, and found what I thought was a vacuum leak right by the throttle body. I pulled the tb off to look and reseal it. Here's what I found... this is the thrasher TB spacer with a port for a nitrous nozzle. I forgot to plug the port. Whoops.

IMG_20190928_124615075.jpg

At least it was an easy fix. The car runs great now. I changed oil on it, have the coolant system bled. I even drove it around the block. All appears to be well. Harvest is getting close, but if it holds off another week, I may try to get it to the track next week.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
The car sits too low in the front. The axles aren't straight, so I need to raise it up an inch or so.

IMG_20190928_183930508.jpg

The collars on the coilovers are siezed up, so I cleaned the threads up and sprayed with penetrating oil and a mixture of acetone/trans fluid. Hopefully I can adjust it tomorrow.

I need to schedule an alignment, plumb the intercooler water lines, and tune it. I'll also have to put an afc on. I bought the afc about 10 years ago. Hopefully it works.

Last edited:

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I was able to raise the front end about an inch. I basically destroyed the coilover collar and sleeve though. Maybe I'll just buy new ones this winter and install them.

But, I put a few miles on it today. It looks like it's running good. Alignment is scheduled for Wednesday.

The blower is annoyingly loud, even at just cruise.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
It is so damn annoying. Anything above about 2k rpms it whines. If I decide to do much driving with it, I'm going to have to put a filter or something on to quiet it down. I was thinking about doing Rocky mountain race week with it, but I would go crazy from the noise.

It rained here all day, so not much progress. I did get the water lines run.

IMG_20191001_210250105.jpg

I also painted the front bumper cover. I just rattlecanned it for the time being to make it look decent from 10'.

IMG_20191001_210205421.jpg

Reactions: v6buicks

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I've thought about that. That could be a good option. I'll have to look and see if I have one someplace.

I was replying that I might have one you can get but forgot you live far far away :rofl: But I'm sure you'll find one if that's the route you want to go. It'd be kinda cool to see your setup pull through a stock airbox with a K&N and see if it loses power and how much.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I was able to raise the front end about an inch. I basically destroyed the coilover collar and sleeve though. Maybe I'll just buy new ones this winter and install them.

But, I put a few miles on it today. It looks like it's running good. Alignment is scheduled for Wednesday.

The blower is annoyingly loud, even at just cruise.

Is that the fuel pump in the background? :rofl:

Reactions: GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Ready to roll. They cancelled T&T for today due to rain. So we are headed out in the morning. Probably leaving here between 5 and 6 to get there when the gates open.

IMG_20191004_133630783.jpg

Did some tuning this morning. I also installed the afc. Still no 3rd gear, so my times are going to suck, but oh well.

It's making decent power on low timing. This is a 2.7 pulley with 5%OD crank. Through stock manifolds, stock downpipe and cat, and stock exhaust minus resonator and u-bend. I wasn't even running the intercooler pump during this. This intercooler is awesome. Intake air temps are reading post blower. Afc is scaled 82%. Yes, that's about 460 crank HP.

FB_IMG_1570220071819.jpg

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Had a great time at the track. Even without 3rd gear, most of my runs were 12.7-12.8. My 1/8 mile times are about all that matters. Plugging those into a converter shows the car would run low 12's or high 11's with 3rd. I was hoping to be about a second faster than that. Here was my best 1/8 mile run. DA was 3600' on this run.

IMG_20191006_214117667.jpg

A few issues I need to work with. 1st off, the car isn't making the power it should be. Looking at my scans today, I either have some belt slip, or a boost leak, or both. I was only making about 9 psi peak with a 2.7 pulley and 5% OD crank pulley.

My other main issue is the brakes suck. I'm thinking that I'm going to ditch this brake booster and go to either the Monte booster or a hydroboost. I'm not able to do a very good burnout because the rear brakes are not holding me in place. So I've got a few things to work through. Overall, I had a great time. It's been a long time since I raced.

My buddy with the turbo gt went 10.8 @ 131. The track told him to get a bar in the car, so he was very happy too.

IMG_20191005_182030460_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RICH17

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Had a great time at the track. Even without 3rd gear, most of my runs were 12.7-12.8. My 1/8 mile times are about all that matters. Plugging those into a converter shows the car would run low 12's or high 11's with 3rd. I was hoping to be about a second faster than that. Here was my best 1/8 mile run. DA was 3600' on this run.

View attachment 43728

A few issues I need to work with. 1st off, the car isn't making the power it should be. Looking at my scans today, I either have some belt slip, or a boost leak, or both. I was only making about 9 psi peak with a 2.7 pulley and 5% OD crank pulley.

My other main issue is the brakes suck. I'm thinking that I'm going to ditch this brake booster and go to either the Monte booster or a hydroboost. I'm not able to do a very good burnout because the rear brakes are not holding me in place. So I've got a few things to work through. Overall, I had a great time. It's been a long time since I raced.

My buddy with the turbo gt went 10.8 @ 131. The track told him to get a bar in the car, so he was very happy too.

View attachment 43729
Try a vacuum pump if you have a big ass cam for the breaks, 1/8th looks good for low 12’s upper 11’s

Thread Info